• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thomas1969

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2022
    Noblesville
    I am looking for a gun for when my daughter is a little older and I get her into shooting. She will probably be about 7 years old or so. Obviously I want a .22lr for her, but beyond that I have no idea which would actually be good for her. Does anyone have experience training their kid to shoot?

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    So... 300 Win Mag is not an option? Guess I know why my son is gun shy..........I keed, I keed..... Chipmunks, and the above mentioned rifles are a goos start, check pawnshops, and LGS's, might find THE gun for her. Good Luck!!

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I don’t like the cricket it has this weird bolt pull back thing along with the bolt action so that’s something to consider. I am sure it is safer but if the kid is shooting a gun I’d assume they have safety down already.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Savage Stevens Springfield model 15. Or any of the single shot Boy Scout rifles. I bought mine as a freshman in high school out of the back of a pickup truck in the parking lot before school put it in my locker and rode home on the school bus with it. Boy how times have changed since 1979. cost 15 dollars. I gave it to dad for Christmas to trap with and it is perfect for that.

i think the rascal and cricket are smaller but I can shoot the Boy Scout rifles as a full grown adult. if the individual is very young the rascal size is best.

these should be easy pickups in pawn shops and gun stores used.
    if you don’t like the pull back the button to Fire style expect to pay more money. I think my Springfield model 15 has like maybe 20 parts total Maybe less.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I am sure it is safer but if the kid is shooting a gun I’d assume they have safety down already.
    Not an assumption I would make with children. They can recite the words, but they have to learn to put them into action.

We didn't use it long, but for a small child, I will always start with it.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Here she is in all of her 15 dollar glory. Dad refinished it during covid and added a few special touches. I think she was produced in1915 making her 107 years old or so. Never had to replace a single part. Thus the idea of less parts equal more reliable operation. I think new they sold for under 5 dollars each.

Attachments

• 0EE2D4F3-00B2-4E4F-B1E2-3E71927BEE75.jpeg
      0EE2D4F3-00B2-4E4F-B1E2-3E71927BEE75.jpeg
      1 MB · Views: 27

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know Crickets and Rascals have their place, especially for small kids, but I've never been a fan of buying something they'll outgrow rather quickly. I'd rather get something they can grow into. Single shot vintage 22's can be had fairly cheaply at most gun shows (and probably pawn shops too), and if they're a reputable brand like Winchester or Remington or Savage, probably better quality than the Crickets and Rascals. Just my :twocents:.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I picked this up a couple of years ago (for me :):). Winchester Model 55 Rimfire. I think it would make a good training rifle. It's actually a semi-auto single shot. Each time you fire it, it ejects the empty and automatically puts the safety on too.

1651956057814.jpeg

Here's a short video about them. Turns out they were designed with training kids (or beginners) in mind.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Not an assumption I would make with children. They can recite the words, but they have to learn to put them into action.

We didn't use it long, but for a small child, I will always start with it.
    Not saying you’re wrong. But for me the added knob adds nothing. Except annoyance. If I can’t trust the kid without that knob I also couldn’t trust them with it. The rules and fundamentals stay the same. So I would go to a BB gun until I felt the kid was ready if that was the case.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm considering a small .22 rifle for my granddaughters. I'll probably go with the Savage. I was thinking that the pink and purple ones might make them look too much like toys.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I know Crickets and Rascals have their place, especially for small kids, but I've never been a fan of buying something they'll outgrow rather quickly. I'd rather get something they can grow into. Single shot vintage 22's can be had fairly cheaply at most gun shows (and probably pawn shops too), and if they're a reputable brand like Winchester or Remington or Savage, probably better quality than the Crickets and Rascals. Just my :twocents:.

They are inexpensive, and you can always sell them.
    Or let another family buy it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not to mention although yes they will outgrow them…. Young kids shooting large adult rifles is extremely challenging for them. holding the gun up etc etc

I was teaching at a NWI event we have up here once a year, and one of the younguns was having a hard time with the ruger 10/22. I could see the wobble cause of the gun weight.
    So I broke out my Savage Rascal, and had him try it.
    After his shot, he turned around with this big ole grin on his face, "I LIKE IT!".

Top Bottom