• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BIGSHIVES1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    So I acquired a Star PD pistol from the father-in-law a while ago and it was in pretty rough shape. He had tried to polish it years ago and gave up so I decided to try and refinish it with KG Gun Kote. It was a fairly easy process and I think it turned out pretty good.

Let me know what you think! :rockwoot:

Before:
    picture.php

After:
    picture.php

tacmedic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think that you did a really nice job. I have a can of gun kote in grey and have not gotten around to trying it out. Did you follow the directions on the can, or do anything different? I like the two tone scheme. When you put the pistol in the oven did it make mess or smoke a lot, I have been wondering about messing up the oven and the ass chewing that will follow it!

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    I think that you did a really nice job. I have a can of gun kote in grey and have not gotten around to trying it out. Did you follow the directions on the can, or do anything different? I like the two tone scheme. When you put the pistol in the oven did it make mess or smoke a lot, I have been wondering about messing up the oven and the ass chewing that will follow it!

Yes please explain your process..Im very interested as well.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I like the two tone you did with that, adds a bit of flash to the pistol without being over the top.
    To the questions about the how, I have found that prep is about 80%+ to a good job with spray on finishes. The few guns I have used GunKote on were baked in the regular kitchen oven, and yes, there were fumes while it baked, but nothing that lingered past that day. Oven temp plays a large role in how the finish turns out as well, hotter than the recommended temps tends to leave the finish a bit glossier than if temps are lower and cooked longer. The higher temps also seem to leave a harder, more durable finish, while not long enough will leave the finish only slightly more durable than standard spray paint.

BIGSHIVES1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    I like the two tone you did with that, adds a bit of flash to the pistol without being over the top.
    To the questions about the how, I have found that prep is about 80%+ to a good job with spray on finishes. The few guns I have used GunKote on were baked in the regular kitchen oven, and yes, there were fumes while it baked, but nothing that lingered past that day. Oven temp plays a large role in how the finish turns out as well, hotter than the recommended temps tends to leave the finish a bit glossier than if temps are lower and cooked longer. The higher temps also seem to leave a harder, more durable finish, while not long enough will leave the finish only slightly more durable than standard spray paint.

Agreed!!! I pretty much followed the directions other than prep. I de-greased/cleaned all the parts then media blasted everything. I then de-greased/cleaned the parts probably 2 more times to be sure of no dirt/grime. As far as baking and fumes I did this in my barn as to not get my but chewed by the wife. There is some smell but nothing that is overwhelming.

Top Bottom