• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • postmanpwc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My Keltec P3AT functions flawlessly with ballpoint ammo but with hollowpoints it FTF just about every 2nd round sometimes on the first round too. It was Gold Dot .380 Hollowpoint which I know is a premium ammo so I don't think its the ammo manufacturer causing this.

I've only tried to shoot 10 hollowpoints as I was getting tired of clearing the jams. Basically after I shoot and when the gun tries to cycle in the next round the hollowpoint gets wedged on something. I know because the slide would also get stuck in the back position leaving the chamber exposed and I see the jammed round in it. Any suggestions???

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    Hornady has a new line DPX (I think thats the name) Critical defense round. It appears to be there XTP hollowpoint with a polymer tip that fills in the hollowpoint. You might try some if you can find it.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    Hornady has a new line DPX (I think thats the name) Critical defense round. It appears to be there XTP hollowpoint with a polymer tip that fills in the hollowpoint. You might try some if you can find it.
    yep from experience I can say yes this works. Also, if your gun is new give it time to break in. For me it was around 150 to 200 rounds. Still jams too much on some HP, but have had no issues with hornady. Good luck to you.

Madmax

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Indy Southeast
    You might also polish out the feed ramp going into the barrel with a brass polish and make it real smooth. Make sure there are no machine marks even slightly. You can also put a couple hundred rounds of full metal jacket through it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I agree with getting your feedramp polished. I had a .45 once that would ot cycle any hollow points. Took it to a gunsmith which I highly reccomend doing. Took care of the problem.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I don't know....maybe it's just me, but you would think that the gun manufactures would have this addressed. Not everyone shoots fmj.

Buckaroo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    NWI
    Corbon DPX is what I have used and would be my first choice for a P3at. I believe they were developed for the P3at

Kahr PM9s had some trouble with the Gold Dots too for some reason.

How many rounds of FMJ have you shot through it?

I will third the feed ramp polish although I did not need to do so with either of my two P3ats.

Buckaroo

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Some guns have their picky tastes. My sons an I have had a total of 3 P3ATs and all cycled Gold Dots just fine. Every now and then, Epsylum would pull his out of his pocket and rip off a full magazine, pocket lint and all, just as a test. Never a problem. The Gold Dots crono'ed just over 900 FPS out of that short barrel.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Yep, a little fluff & buff (light on the fluff) and mine likes the WW SilverTips just fine. It may also like some of the other brands of HP ammo also but I haven't tried any as of yet. Got a good supply of the silvertips.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I had the same problem with my p3at and gold dots, especially the first round. I would have to just flick my wrist down a little to snap the slide in place. This was pretty early in its life though. After 200 rounds I don't have problems with any ammo. I would go through about 50 rounds per session, then do a mini fluff and buff. Seems to have worked out all the kinks.

GoldenLoki.com - Kel Tec F&B

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Ahhh!!

Don't limp wrist these small pistols. They are far less forgiving than the larger counter parts. I ran CorBon DPX, Horn. Critical Defense, and Powerballs through my P3AT and never had a hang up. I am still far from 200 rounds through it, but if a buddy or friend picks it up and shoots it, malfunction... I do this with 1911's also..

You can try swapping ammo ammo or polishing. 98% of the time it's the operator. Try letting a buddy pick it up and throw a few through it.'

Pick a HP based on application, use, and effectiveness. Pick a pistol based on feel, fit, and ability to use.

If all else fails, load it with the heaviest round you can find so it weighs more when you have to throw it at him...

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Man, it's threads like these that delay my purchase, or make me question a kel tec purchase. I've tried to trade for one recently but it has not happened. I am still questioning whether I could ever trust one with my or my family's life.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Man, it's threads like these that delay my purchase, or make me question a kel tec purchase. I've tried to trade for one recently but it has not happened. I am still questioning whether I could ever trust one with my or my family's life.

Ruger is slacking due to two recalls. That and the cost squashed my LCP vs. Kel-Tec fight..
    I'd shoot both and go from there.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I have a P3at and it shot CorBons fine. Only had enough rounds to put through 2 magazines worth and the only thing I had to do was really let the slide fly when chambering the first HP after that the gun took care of the rest. Right now I only have 1 HP left so it is the second round in the mag. You could try loading your mag that way. I have since come across 150 more rounds and 1 box is HP's. Within the next couple of months I'll put a couple more mags through. Trying to conserve my 380 ammo though. I really do like this pistol though. I only have about 65 rnds through it but have had no malfs. I think maybe those who had problems had the 1st gen. Kel Tecs. It does seem the sec. gens are better.....

pellidon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I have shot some Gold Dots and a few Winchester HP's of some unknown vintage. I have an old first generation and a newer P3AT. Haven't had any problems since doing the original smiley fix on the first gen. Second gen has it from factory.

I agree with the above post on limp-wristing. These guys are tiny and can squirt around in the hand under the act of pulling the trigger, not to mention the forces at work when it fires. This can cause them to be harder to shoot accurately unless you use a good firm grip. It seems illogical but it needs a stronger grip than a 44 Magnum needs.

If I had enough ammo to practice with it, I can get down to a decent 4 inch or under grouping at 21 feet.

I do have a few rounds of that hot Santa Barbara stuff still. Gun never showed any stress from firing that stuff.

I do like the P3x guns (32 and 3AT) but they can be idiosyncratic.

Top Bottom