• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I am having problems with my dad's Cub Cadet lawn mower that is roughly 5-7 years old. Last year when he tried to start it it would not start on the first pull as it has its entire life. On his second pull he says it pulled the starter rope back with a ton of force.

We took it to a repair shop at 16th and Post and they said the compression test says the motor is dead.

I know next to nothing about if it could be rebuilt or if it really is trashed. I guess for what ever reason I was kind of hoping it wasnt junk as it has been a really good mower untill this happened.

Anyone have any thoughts?

The motor is similar to this one
    Kawasaki Engines and Power Products - Engines - FJ180V

(i do not have the exact model number with me)

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    im not an expert on kawasaki small motors but i would think to disconnect the plug wire and check for spark, and at the same time you should be able to tell if it has reasonably good compression or not, ALOT of small motor problems are caused by gummed up carbs, water in the fuel, etc, if the carb has a removable bowl i would pull it off and make sure its cleaned out, clean out the jet(s) and make sure the needle/seat is cleaned out, undamaged, and moves freely with the float

but thats pretty generic to any lawnmower

unless something let go in the motor i dont know why it would be "dead" ive seen 20 year old motors that have been through hell with almost origional never changed oil in them that still run, a bit weak on power etc but it should at least run with low-ish compression

could be a stuck valve too but you should notice that when you pull the cord

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    well i forget again the model number, but i had it last night at home and i guess there is a problem with the head gasket material failing. not sure that this is my only problem, but it may be a start.

Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    if its the head gasket, make sure the head and the block are flat and the surface is smooth (no gouged out or corroded areas where it seals), and put another gasket on it, small motors are usually nice and easy to work on

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    That's just how I am. If I'm gonna pull the head on a small engine, may as well pull the jug and do the rings. Beats having to do it 2 summers later when you were already in there.

Top Bottom