• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flint stonez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    S/E Indiana
    I really love my old 10/22. It has some upgrades including a Midway stainless bull barrel, Fajen stock and basic trigger work. It has an inexpensive (but decent) Simmons variable power scope. I built this in the mid 1990’s (I think).
    It is an incredible shooter. It feds even the cheapest ammo without issues. I’m amazed how accurate it is. I was just out in the backyard shooting through the arbor hole on a circular saw blade at about 45 yards with cheap Remington rounds.
    I know 10/22’s are nice out of the box but it was fun putting something together that reliably takes out even small critters at 50+ yards.
    If you don’t have one it’s definitely a must have in my opinion. And then trick it out to meet your own needs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      788.2 KB · Views: 30

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Wow I'm certain I'm gonna take some some heat on this, but , wow if you think a 10/22 is a nice rifle, your standards must be very low.
    I love guys who say how much they love there 10/22 all I have done is change out the stock, the barrel, the trigger, the bolt.....there is not 10/22 left.....why not start off with a better rifle or build one up......sorry, 10/22's do not impress me.

flint stonez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2024
    S/E Indiana
    Wow I'm certain I'm gonna take some some heat on this, but , wow if you think a 10/22 is a nice rifle, your standards must be very low.
    I love guys who say how much they love there 10/22 all I have done is change out the stock, the barrel, the trigger, the bolt.....there is not 10/22 left.....why not start off with a better rifle or build one up......sorry, 10/22's do not impress me.
    55fairlame -
    You kind of talked in circles. You deride “guys like me” for turning their 10/22s into exactly what we want. Then (in the same sentence/paragraph) ask “why not build one up?”
    “Build one up” is EXACTLY what I did. Started with a very inexpensive 10/22 and turned it into exactly what I needed. Or in your works “I built one up”.
    You won’t find a more accurate 22 for less than I have invested. And I and many others thoroughly enjoy building these and other firearms to the specifications we require.
    It’s still a 10/22 but improved.
    You’re welcome to your opinion but you happen to be wrong about this. Or at least your argument is less than convincing.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN

They fine to shoot stock. Mine run well for a good while and I am terrible about cleaning guns. And customizing little things here and there is fun and it's on the cheap side compared to every other gun I own.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    55fairlame -
    You kind of talked in circles. You deride “guys like me” for turning their 10/22s into exactly what we want. Then (in the same sentence/paragraph) ask “why not build one up?”
    “Build one up” is EXACTLY what I did. Started with a very inexpensive 10/22 and turned it into exactly what I needed. Or in your works “I built one up”.
    You won’t find a more accurate 22 for less than I have invested. And I and many others thoroughly enjoy building these and other firearms to the specifications we require.
    You’re welcome to your opinion but you happen to be wrong about this. Or at least your argument is less than convincing.
    Yup. Build it how you want. Skies the limit with all the aftermarket support. Have less than $500 in this one and shoots great groups with the cheaper ammo. Even better with eley, sk, etc.

20180603_184830.jpg

20180603_151405.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. They shoot well OOB and are the Ford Mustangs of guns; EVERYBODY and their brother makes aftermarket parts for them.

I replaced my daughter's stock with a Blackhawk Axiom stock to lighten it up for her. Other than that and tech sites to make all our rifle sights match, its stock. I'm guilty of preferring to grab hers for a quick range trip than my built up tack driver.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Nuthin' like a .22lr day...so much fun to just plink with something inexpensive, yet accurate and fun!
    Between myself, the wife, and 3 kiddos...we have 7 Ruger 10/22's...hoot to shoot!
    Built this one going on 3 years ago...Magpul Hunter stock with 20" bull barrel.

4ahLfs8.jpg

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    55fairlame -
    When I said "build one up" I ment why not start with an aftermarket receiver and go from there, as opposed to buyba complete rifle & toss away everything but the receiver.....

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When I said "build one up" I ment why not start with an aftermarket receiver and go from there, as opposed to buyba complete rifle & toss away everything but the receiver.....
    Because it is cheaper. I dont think Ruger will sell receivers only.

But they do license the design to companies like Kidd, Volquartsen, and others, and their machined receivers are more expensive than a whole rifle from Ruger.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Because it is cheaper. I dont think Ruger will sell receivers only.

But they do license the design to companies like Kidd, Volquartsen, and others, and their machined receivers are more expensive than a whole rifle from Ruger.
    I honestly won't ........I bought one, would not shoot for crap, minute of beer can on a good day, built ot up, had stupid money in it, .......now it cost 3 times what a bone stock savage cost and the savage will out shoot it.
    For semi auto fun, build up an AR in rimfire or like me, take up target rifles

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I really love my old 10/22. It has some upgrades including a Midway stainless bull barrel, Fajen stock and basic trigger work. It has an inexpensive (but decent) Simmons variable power scope. I built this in the mid 1990’s (I think).
    It is an incredible shooter. It feds even the cheapest ammo without issues. I’m amazed how accurate it is. I was just out in the backyard shooting through the arbor hole on a circular saw blade at about 45 yards with cheap Remington rounds.
    I know 10/22’s are nice out of the box but it was fun putting something together that reliably takes out even small critters at 50+ yards.
    If you don’t have one it’s definitely a must have in my opinion. And then trick it out to meet your own needs.
    I've probably done the build thing over a dozen times. Only have 2 in the house these days. Wife's rifle is full Kidd build and a stand in the corner varmint getter that is 90% Kidd. All the others have gone down the road.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I honestly won't ........I bought one, would not shoot for crap, minute of beer can on a good day, built ot up, had stupid money in it, .......now it cost 3 times what a bone stock savage cost and the savage will out shoot it.
    For semi auto fun, build up an AR in rimfire or like me, take up target rifles
    Sounds like you got a bad one. They are definitely decently accurate, and there are more accurate stock semis out there.

MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I agree, I love my two 10/22s. I have a nice Mannlicher stock rifle that's beautiful to look at, and a neat Navy MILPAT Camo Takedown model that's cool and fun.

For the Mannlicher, I added a front swivel mount for a QD sling, extractor, bigger mag release paddle,

I put a great set of Tech Sights on the Navy one, an improved extractor and I have a bigger takedown knob to install if I ever get around to it.

I have a trigger upgrade but I haven't decided which gun to put it into.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I've had one in one form or another since 1983, bought my first one a Kmart, my latest one is bone stock except for a modded bolt release, and a scope. I shot a 198 at an Appleseed a few years ago, I try to push them all I can at BPS...I love them, they run, they are the lego toy of guns. I want to be buried with mine, in case there is plinking in heaven (If I make it there)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'll play
    20240403_192548.jpg
    Stock receiver, bolt, and trigger group ( for now).
    Fajen stock and White Oaks barrel.
    The stock was given to me by a friend who hauled it away from a garage fire as trash.
    I sanded and scrubbed for 3 months and never did get the smoke smell out of it.
    I just covered it up with stain and poly sealant.

Top Bottom