nelson_haha.jpg

Also, you said "duty".

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Take a book and/or a few magazines.

I just sat a lot... Of course, that was in Indy.

If you're part of a small pool, you may very well not have much down-time.

-J-

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    I was on a jury trial about 6 months ago (on the jury not ON trial). I got picked and it took about 2 days, we deliberated late into the second night. It's an interesting experience and you will learn alot about the judicial process. This is assuming you get picked. Depending on the trial type they (the lawyers) will ask the jury pool different questions to try and see where you fall and then they will weed it down to who they want on the jury. If you don't get picked it's a waste of your day. If you don't want to get picked then wear your CSI: Miami T-shirt and talk like you know everything there is about the law and you have never missed an episode of insert your favorite cop show here.

The extremely overweight baliff who was leaning up against the wall falling asleep in his chair made me feel totally safe and he clearly had control of the room. :rolleyes:

FYI, no guns in the courthouse and have fun getting through the metal detector!

And like Scutter01 said, you said "duty"!

I'm off to watch Jack Bauer! :draw:

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Take a book and/or a few magazines.

I just sat a lot... Of course, that was in Indy.

If you're part of a small pool, you may very well not have much down-time.

-J-

Sounds just like my experience, also in Indy. Arrive at 7:45, sit in a big ass auditorium for almost 5hrs waiting on my number to be called, get told at 12:30 that all juries are seated and that I won't be needed. There were probably 200 at the start, less than 30 of us didn't get called.

Bring a book, crosswords/sudoku, something to occupy your time while you wait. You might be better off than I was, though.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I was picked a couple years ago and basically sat in a room. Eventually I got called into a murder trial for a guy in Gary. Sounded like it was a drug deal gone bad, but I got booted off the jury before the trial started.

The defendants lawyer asked who had a gun. I raised my hand, as did a few others. He then asked us each questions. How many guns. I asked the judge if I had to answer with a specific number, judge said no. I said more than one. Lawyer then asked where I kept them in my house. I turned to the judge and said for security reasons I'd prefer not to announce publicly where I keep my guns, judge said I didn't have to. I told the lawyer It depends on the gun. It went on like that for a while, back and forth him asking me questions. He didn't seem to like my answers. He then twisted my words and made a statement about me, to which I corrected him (because we were on the record). He dismissed me from duty. I got to go home early that day.

I would have actually liked to have been on a jury. Seems like a good thing to try, at least once.

ElkhartGunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Eklhart
    I was picked for jury duty too like 3 weeks ago. it was a murder involving a gun. once i told them i was a gun owner and carried because of thugs like the defendents, they dismissed me. i still wonder why they didnt pick me for the 12 man jury?

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    I always thought I wanted jury duty, until I actually did get it. I was selected for a jury in a lawsuit involving mold and fungi. I now know more about spores than I ever wanted to. 4 days of testimony by scientist and doctors, literally hundreds of pieces of paperwork introduced as evidence, air sampling data, etc.. And not to say I'm a genuis, but the other jurors couldn't grasp any of it. I spent most of the deliberation time explaining everything in kindergarten terms. It wore me out mentally

They did feed us very well though

Top Bottom