• Status
    Not open for further replies.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Johnson County attempts to restrict and deny my rights....

Well, there really isn't a short version of this story so here it goes. The wife sent me out for lottery tickets, I went and got them along with a gallon of gas for the chainsaw. On my way back to her house a Johnson County Sheriffs Deputy decided to pull me over because one of the tail lights on her truck is taped. He came to the window and asked for my papers (license and registration) so I gave them to him. He came back to the window and handed them to me and then told me why he pulled me over, I told him I figured.....Then he started to turn and walk away, paused, and asked if I had anything illegal in the truck. I told him no and he began to list things like: illegal weapons, illegal knives, marijuana, cocaine, heroin, meth amphetamines....somewhat pausing between each just long enough for me to say no. THEN he asked me if I had ANY weapons at all in the truck, to this I said well since you put it that way I have a permit to carry and I have a pistol in my waist band but I know Indiana has reciprocity with Minnesota and that I am NOT required to inform him. Now I've got his undivided attention, hands both on the wheel and the whole routine. He had me remove the pistol and place it on the dash, and asked me if there were any more guns in the vehicle, since it was a quick trip to the store I didn't have thank God! He asked if he could search the vehicle I'm not certain if this was before or after he found out I had a gun, I told him I would rather he didn't but if he felt the need to go right ahead as there's nothing there. Well, he asked me to get out and stand in front of the truck, took my pistol to his car, unloaded it and returned with my holster and cartridges handing them to me. I stood in front of the truck for nearly 45 minutes while he searched to no avail. then he told me to get back in and get warm. At this point he took my permit and DL back to his car and made every attempt he could to find a reason to harass me further. When he finally realized there was no wrong doing on MY part he came back, handed me my pistol and began to lecture me about courtesy to LEOs blah blah blah. I told him that I appreciated his need to feel safe but I also had a right to be safe and feel safe and that I am NOT required to inform him. He interrupted going on about courtesy to officers of the law again and I told him I was NOT going to debate the issue and would try to consider this in the future (basically just so I could go as I have already given it all the consideration it is worth, that's why I handled it the way I did). He told me not to reload until I was clear of the area and began to walk back to his car at which point I hollered back to him "am I free to go now officer?" he said yes you can leave and I did. Now I realize I didn't have to let him search or disarm me, but my previous experience with Johnson County has made me understand that it would only mean a few more hours of standing in the cold while they made it a capital offense bringing in multiple more squad cars, etc....I believe I asserted my rights effectively to the point that he may think about them a bit more, while also giving him no reason to think badly of legally armed persons. I also got back home in a SOMEWHAT reasonable amount of time. I'm more than ticked off about the experience, but what more could I really have done? I mean without being further inconvenienced without any real reason. I think it was sort of a compromise on my part but seriously who wants to stand in the cold with no more than a sweatshirt on any longer than I did? What says you?

Last edited:

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    Before I let him disarm me and search my vehicle i would have shot him! Just wanted to be the first! Well done on not getting your face planted or handcuffed and taken to jail for a few hours.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Well since you asked.......

You did it just the way you felt you needed to.
    I would like to think that I would have politely told him no when he asked if he could search. I also probably would have verbally stated that I didn't consent to the search and seizure of my property, ie. confiscating your pistol and running a check on it.
    (Unfortunately here in CO if we are stopped for a lawful stop the officer can temporarily seize any weapons legally. And if you cover the serial number so that they have to physically remove the covering to read the number you are charged with defacing a firearm and when convicted they destroy it.)

Of course this all depends on the mood I am in. The officers demeanor and such. If I was feeling especially "friskay" I would have told him that I would re load my pistol when and where I wanted to and done it right in front of him.

Oh and the minute he started lecturing me on "officer courtesy" I would have told him to eat a brick.

Then again, when faced with the same situation I may have just grabbed ankle and asked for more.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Well since you asked.......

You did it just the way you felt you needed to.
    I would like to think that I would have politely told him no when he asked if he could search. I also probably would have verbally stated that I didn't consent to the search and seizure of my property, ie. confiscating your pistol and running a check on it.
    (Unfortunately here in CO if we are stopped for a lawful stop the officer can temporarily seize any weapons legally. And if you cover the serial number so that they have to physically remove the covering to read the number you are charged with defacing a firearm and when convicted they destroy it.)

Of course this all depends on the mood I am in. The officers demeanor and such. If I was feeling especially "friskay" I would have told him that I would re load my pistol when and where I wanted to and done it right in front of him.

Oh and the minute he started lecturing me on "officer courtesy" I would have told him to eat a brick.

Then again, when faced with the same situation I may have just grabbed ankle and asked for more.
    Well, I don't see it QUITE that way, as most just inform immediately. I still won't inform unless specifically asked and depending on my mood, may just take the 5th and say nothing. The officer seemed a bit on edge and irritated that I didn't spill my guts in fear at the mere sight of his badge or I may have just stepped out and locked the door telling him that I don't consent to any searches (this scenario did run it's course in my mind at the time) but I have had previous run ins with this county before and am WELL aware of their jack booted attitude towards us "lesser people" so I did let him see for himself that I'm not the bad guy. Besides, the Colorado thread currently running was fresh in my mind:)

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    yea, i am happy i live 1 mile north of that ****ty ass county, deputies are IMPD flunkies!

Fact: Johnson County is one of the most difficult if not thee most most difficult department to get hired.

Metro is about average.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    PLEASE do not turn this into a bashing thread from either side. I am trying to see both sides of the issue. The officer seemed to be doing his best and I was simply trying to assert my rights. We DID reach a compromise and both went on about our way with no real harm done. He may have been frustrated that I knew my rights and told him so, but he also didn't really push the issue as I have known many in that County to do.

sonny27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Carmel
    Well, there really isn't a short version of this story so here it goes. The wife sent me out for lottery tickets, I went and got them along with a gallon of gas for the chainsaw. On my way back to her house a Johnson County Sheriffs Deputy decided to pull me over because one of the tail lights on her truck is taped. He came to the window and asked for my papers (license and registration) so I gave them to him. He came back to the window and handed them to me and then told me why he pulled me over, I told him I figured.....Then he started to turn and walk away, paused, and asked if I had anything illegal in the truck. I told him no and he began to list things like: illegal weapons, illegal knives, marijuana, cocaine, heroin, meth amphetamines....somewhat pausing between each just long enough for me to say no. THEN he asked me if I had ANY weapons at all in the truck, to this I said well since you put it that way I have a permit to carry and I have a pistol in my waist band but I know Indiana has reciprocity with Minnesota and that I am NOT required to inform him. Now I've got his undivided attention, hands both on the wheel and the whole routine. He had me remove the pistol and place it on the dash, and asked me if there were any more guns in the vehicle, since it was a quick trip to the store I didn't have thank God! He asked if he could search the vehicle I'm not certain if this was before or after he found out I had a gun, I told him I would rather he didn't but if he felt the need to go right ahead as there's nothing there. Well, he asked me to get out and stand in front of the truck, took my pistol to his car, unloaded it and returned with my holster and cartridges handing them to me. I stood in front of the truck for nearly 45 minutes while he searched to no avail. then he told me to get back in and get warm. At this point he took my permit and DL back to his car and made every attempt he could to find a reason to harass me further. When he finally realized there was no wrong doing on MY part he came back, handed me my pistol and began to lecture me about courtesy to LEOs blah blah blah. I told him that I appreciated his need to feel safe but I also had a right to be safe and feel safe and that I am NOT required to inform him. He interrupted going on about courtesy to officers of the law again and I told him I was NOT going to debate the issue and would try to consider this in the future (basically just so I could go as I have already given it all the consideration it is worth, that's why I handled it the way I did). He told me not to reload until I was clear of the area and began to walk back to his car at which point I hollered back to him "am I free to go now officer?" he said yes you can leave and I did. Now I realize I didn't have to let him search or disarm me, but my previous experience with Johnson County has made me understand that it would only mean a few more hours of standing in the cold while they made it a capital offense bringing in multiple more squad cars, etc....I believe I asserted my rights effectively to the point that he may think about them a bit more, while also giving him no reason to think badly of legally armed persons. I also got back home in a SOMEWHAT reasonable amount of time. I'm more than ticked off about the experience, but what more could I really have done? I mean without being further inconvenienced without any real reason. I think it was sort of a compromise on my part but seriously who wants to stand in the cold with no more than a sweatshirt on any longer than I did? What says you?

Looks like the deputy when over and above. You could of said no when asked to search your car. You could of asked why he wanted to search your vehicle. Traffic stops aren't suppose to be longer than 15 minutes unless probable cause, such as the deputy smells alcohol, smells illegal drugs etc, etc, etc. If he asked to search I would of said no, if he asked why, I would of asked him the same question.
    Call the Sheriff and ask him why his deputy wanted to search your vehicle. Ask him if this is standard procedures.

Just me two cents...

Keyser Soze

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    IMO as a leo its a waste of time unloading the gun and running the serial numbers. People with a license to carry permit do not carry stolen guns. Out of the countless firearms I have seen ran ive never heard of a positive hit. Ive never seized a stolen gun that had a original serial #

That being said imo always best to let the leo know you have a permit and your packin right from the start.

sonny27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Carmel
    IMO as a leo its a waste of time unloading the gun and running the serial numbers. People with a license to carry permit do not carry stolen guns. Out of the countless firearms I have seen ran ive never heard of a positive hit. Ive never seized a stolen gun that had a original serial #

That being said imo always best to let the leo know you have a permit and your packin right from the start.

I respectfully disagree with your last statement.

I've been pulled over be a deputy who was less than professional when I informed him I had a license and I was carrying.
    You never know who's going to pull you over, a cop who's pissing vinegar and thinks he knows it all or a seasoned LEO who knows the law and doesn't abuse it.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I respectfully disagree with your last statement.

I've been pulled over be a deputy who was less than professional when I informed him I had a license and I was carrying.
    You never know who's going to pull you over, a cop who's pissing vinegar and thinks he knows it all or a seasoned LEO who knows the law and doesn't abuse it.
    Yeah, this is why I practice NOT letting them know from the get go. I'm not opposed to honesty, but also don't want a scene if none is necessary. This officer seemed like he almost forgot to ask the whole lineup of questions and it seemed more of an after thought...

sonny27

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Carmel
    Really is pretty standard to ask for consent to search for no reason.

When you pull me over and ask to search my vehicle and I say no, what do you say? My follow up question is, why do you want to search my vehicle. I'm anxious to know your answer since you said it's standard to ask for consent even though you have know reason to search.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    He asked, and you submitted...... twice....... and your complaining?
    No, the point is that I didn't volunteer my gun or permit, didn't say yes, but said NO when he asked about "illegal guns or weapons", then when he specified ANY guns, got pissy about me not telling him before hand. I'm not against co-operating, just against them assuming I MUST.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    .... On my way back to her house a Johnson County Sheriffs Deputy decided ....

... THEN he asked me if I had ANY weapons at all in the truck, to this I said well since you put it that way I have a permit to carry and I have a pistol in my waist band but I know Indiana has reciprocity with Minnesota and that I am NOT required to inform him....

Confusing to me. but maybe its just me ....

Wife lives somewhere in Johnson County - sounds like you do not? Do you have a Minnesota Permit?

Hopefully its just late and I'm too tired to make sense of it, but something is confusing me. ??!!!??

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    No, the point is that I didn't volunteer my gun or permit, didn't say yes, but said NO when he asked about "illegal guns or weapons", then when he specified ANY guns, got pissy about me not telling him before hand. I'm not against co-operating, just against them assuming I MUST.

ah, got ya!

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Confusing to me. but maybe its just me ....

Wife lives somewhere in Johnson County - sounds like you do not? Do you have a Minnesota Permit?

Hopefully its just late and I'm too tired to make sense of it, but something is confusing me. ??!!!??
    We live in MN, my permit is from MN. Wife is currently staying here in Morgan County near the Johnson County line settling her uncles estate (she gets his house if probate ever closes). She's been here a little over a year taking care of this mess and since I'm an OTR truck driver, I rarely get home to MN but come through here frequently. I hope that clears it up a bit. If this ever settles, we may sell the house in MN due to the fact that we owe money on that one, and at that point may move here (this one is free and clear).

marine4life

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    South Indy
    Sometimes you have to think that you won, when you really get beat. I mean it could have been a lot worse. The hard on that could have been created by him having a bad night, could have reulted in a long night in cold weather. So did you win lotto? I guess thats the real question?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom