• ...and so much more!
  • blueskies

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Nov 13, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Hey everyone,

I decided to post this here and see what replies I might get. So this year has been different for me job-wise. I'm honestly not sure what to do and I'll explain. Up until last year I worked for a funeral home for 6 years. It was alright for a long time and paid well, but I started to get burned out as I worked about every weekend in addition to through the week, and being on call nights, because they had me make up my national guard weekends in order to stay there. Also there was no chance to move up beyond funeral assistant because I wouldn't have had the time to go to school to get my license. I made the decision to leave for a different profession. I got a job working at a hospital (my sister works there) but I found out that I had difficulty adjusting to the shift, nights and 12hrs a shift, also the things I had to do I couldn't really handle (nurses assistant). So after some thought I decided I'd like to be a bank teller which turned out to be amazing, but after 6 months they started to cut back my hours which made paying bills difficult. I let them know this, they understood, so I put in a notice and after talking with my dad, decided learning a trade would be a good idea. So I applied and got a job at a heating/cooling/plumbing company...that only lasted a week. Turned out allot of things said in the interview weren't true and after working multiple 12,13 hr days under bad working conditions with little explanation and not having a clue, thrown into things...I quit, but let them know they needed to be more honest when hiring people. I actually had to urinate in another man's pee jar because I wasn't given any other options but that. That was little over a week ago. I've been in the guard over 10 years, I'm committed and hard working, I have a bachelor's degree, I just don't know what to do. Right now my base gave me 2 additional weeks here in Fort Wayne after I explained what was going on. I'll be done on orders November 8th. I guess I'm just looking for suggestions/help on what I could do for a decent full-time job. Thank you in advance for any replies.

My AFSC is 2R071 Maintenance Data Systems Analysis

Bachelor's degree in General Studies, minored in Psychology and history

I'm not sure what type of job to get honestly. I know I'm quick to learn, proficient with computers, work well with coworkers, trustworthy.

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    There are plenty of jobs in Elkhart if you are willing to travel a bit. Most are willing to train on the job. Welders make good $$ My nephew has worked for a few over there. Changing up jobs for more $$

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    There are plenty of jobs in Elkhart if you are willing to travel a bit. Most are willing to train on the job. Welders make good $$ My nephew has worked for a few over there. Changing up jobs for more $$
    True. They are desperate for workers.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    You, have a degree, the world is yours .....

Full time, as a Technician, or AGR .....

Police or Fire Dept.,

Manage a fast food, or a gas station .....

Speedway, in Indy, is hiring, pay is $ 37,000.00 yr .....

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    I dont know what kind of Job your looking for but there are 13,000 available in the Greater Allen County Area (Allen & Surrounding Counties). The RV Industry up North is always looking for good people. Good Luck on your Quest!

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I know its old thread but if you or anybody reading this is still looking, Bremen Castings is hiring multiple positions, I believe most start close to $20hr from office to maintenance techs.

Miller pipeline https://millerpipelinecareers.com/

Nisource/Nipso has a vast variety of openings, https://www.nisource.com/careers

Gridhawk which is a contractor for Nipsco gas that look for gas leaks, they can't seem to get/hire enough people https://www.gridhawk.com/careers/

Top Bottom