• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Some jet flying well below the limit just buzzed my house in lagrange county, and not seeing it on any tracker… Happened 5 minutes ago heading s/e.

Rattled my fking windows. Jet, not prop plane. Didn’t get a good look at it sadly. Was on the crapper when it happened. Only saw it in distance flying away.

Anyone good at finding out wtf it was?

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Not all aircraft carry the tracking beacons, and the terrain doesn't always allow them to maintain 100% signal, but if they do they show up on sites like https://www.flightradar24.com/

LaGrange airspace is pretty vacant of flights right now. No idea.

I hear lots of huge helis that shake the windows, only 1 in 10 show up on the radar.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I was in a shopping center south of here 10 or so years ago and had 3 A10s in formation go overhead so low I could have hit them with a rock.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I’m used to prop planes crop dusting and being few hundred over my house, this was a jet moving ass, and probably below 1k. Whatever, cant do **** about it now. Luckily the windows didnt go.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I live in the approach path for the Louisville airport, so I have a paid subscription to flightradar. As said above, yeah, lots of helos and obvious military stuff doesn’t show on the app, but some do. Had a blackhawk fly just south of the house yesterday, looked like he was probably over the river at about 500 feet, maybe less, didn’t show up on the tracker.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I live in the approach path for the Louisville airport, so I have a paid subscription to flightradar. As said above, yeah, lots of helos and obvious military stuff doesn’t show on the app, but some do. Had a blackhawk fly just south of the house yesterday, looked like he was probably over the river at about 500 feet, maybe less, didn’t show up on the tracker.

I have aircraft that disappears near me and reappears further away, so I'm guessing the terrain & distance from transponder station is a factor as well.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    At my place, I'll often not see air craft show up on the radar site I use. Like said above, I know owners can request their info not be displayed and sometimes I think because of our location, we may not always be in a good location for them to get picked up.

We have a landing/storage location for one of the IU Health helicopters over at Paoli. Sometimes I'll see/hear them fly over the house and they show up and sometimes they don't.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have aircraft that disappears near me and reappears further away, so I'm guessing the terrain & distance from transponder station is a factor as well.
    I’ve seen a few do that, but very few. It’s usually the helos, and C-130s that make a big ruckus, but don’t show on the tracker. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a C-130 on the app, now that I think about it.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Airplanes have what is called a transponder that replies to radar. Transponders can have "mode C" which also replies with the aircraft's altitude. Some small planes like crop dusters do not have a transponder for the most part. There are certain types of airspace you can not fly into without a transponder. Being a jet it undoubtedly has a transponder. Not sure how those internet
    trackers work but I am sure they do not show an aircraft without a transponder or one that does have it but it is shut off.

One may ask why in world a pilot would shut off a transponder. Well, to do a buzz job duh. Then any radar can not show altitude thus showing you were below legal altitude to be brought to the FAA's attention for enforcement action. Only an ignorant pilot would leave mode C turned on to do a buzz job. Don't ask me how i know these things.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Airplanes have what is called a transponder that replies to radar. Transponders can have "mode C" which also replies with the aircraft's altitude. Some small planes like crop dusters do not have a transponder for the most part. There are certain types of airspace you can not fly into without a transponder. Being a jet it undoubtedly has a transponder. Not sure how those internet
    trackers work but I am sure they do not show an aircraft without a transponder or one that does have it but it is shut off.

One may ask why in world a pilot would shut off a transponder. Well, to do a buzz job duh. Then any radar can not show altitude thus showing you were below legal altitude to be brought to the FAA's attention for enforcement action. Only an ignorant pilot would leave mode C turned on to do a buzz job. Don't ask me how i know these things.

Top Bottom