• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I understand your guys reasoning. for me it works. i might buy a whisperlite too eventually. Jeremy, you should have contacted me about the jet boil containers. I have over 30 of them now :):. everytime i go into gander mountain I buy at least a couple, and sometimes all on the shelf. you never know when they will be out of stock.
    I sold the JetBoil and 11 spare canisters to a Neighbor kid for $50... ;)

That's the Lord's way of thinning the herd. If you blow yourself up using a MSR stove, you may not be cut out for SHTF. :D
    LOL!!!

No doubt, definitely by thinning pout the short end of the pool... :D

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Back when aviation units were expected to shoot and move like the rest of the Combat Arms, I carried an MSR multifuel stove because I was sitting on 85 gal of JP-4 most of the time. I still have that stove - and it still works 30 years later. While I was on AD the last time, I bought a WhisperLite to have on the long drive home JIC. Haven't had any reason to regret either purchase. As I recall, we stayed away from propane burners because they didn't work so well at altitude (in the mountains). Of course, that's not likely to be a problem to us here in the Midwest...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    As I recall, we stayed away from propane burners because they didn't work so well at altitude (in the mountains). Of course, that's not likely to be a problem to us here in the Midwest...

You're thinking of butane stoves, and the early ones had problems in the cold because butane boils off around freezing temps, but the new isobutane ones work much better in the cold.

mutt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Jetboil uses a butane / propane fuel mixture that works better in the cold than any of the old butane cans

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Congrats on that score, man. Be careful with it. I've got a whisperlite int'l that I've run for well over a decade and a half - you could weld with the thing if you're not careful!

Love my whisperlite and not considering replacing it *but* I will say there's nothing "whisper" about it. It sounds almost like one of those kerosene blower heaters! The only altitude issues have been that water takes forever to boil over 12,000'. Oh, I could melt the damn pot but that water still takes a while.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    if you guys want a super lightweight stove you need to check this out, it has complete instructions as well. i found this last summer when planning a trip with my brother and a couple of buddies. the trip fell through so i didn't build it yet, but i think i might start one this weekend. i think they would be perfect for a SHTF situation.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    if you guys want a super lightweight stove you need to check this out, it has complete instructions as well. i found this last summer when planning a trip with my brother and a couple of buddies. the trip fell through so i didn't build it yet, but i think i might start one this weekend. i think they would be perfect for a SHTF situation.

i do not recomend those type of stoves. basicly you are creating a bomb with flaming liquid. those are dangerous stoves. pony up the cash and buy a real stove. its better and cheaper than burning your face off.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    i do not recomend those type of stoves. basicly you are creating a bomb with flaming liquid. those are dangerous stoves. pony up the cash and buy a real stove. its better and cheaper than burning your face off.
    :laugh: i have a real one, i just like tinkering with stuff, thought i have some fun experimenting with this

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    That is COOL! I'll definitely be making one now. I don't see it replacing my durable, portable welder but that is beautiful in its elegant simplicity. One concern is that it might easily get crushed... it is aluminum can and I'm pretty hard on gear.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    That is COOL! I'll definitely be making one now. I don't see it replacing my durable, portable welder but that is beautiful in its elegant simplicity. One concern is that it might easily get crushed... it is aluminum can and I'm pretty hard on gear.
    thats why you use the heineken cans, thick aluminum

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

you wont think its cool if it blows up in your face :dunno:

im not trying to be debbie downer here, i just dont wanna see people here get hurt trying to build these just for fun. sure if your life depends on it ........ na, build a fire :):

Bazooka Joe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    South Central Indiana
    So does any butane canister work with this or do you have to use their brand only? Would be a nice addition to my BOB. All though not integrated I think I still like my whisperlight as I can burn pretty much anything that with take a flame.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I like my whisperlight, but I picked up a Brunton Raptor for $30. Uses the same cartridges as the jet boil and has a piezoelectric starter. Makes making coffee from your sleeping bag easy.

Top Bottom