• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    so i finally got a jet boil and for only $70:rockwoot: it was on clearance at dicks so I snatched it up. I'm thoroughly impressed with it especially if I have to climb a mountain. it now has a place in my backpacking equipment, but may get used more just screwing around.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Thanks for the heads up on the Dick's clearance, Tyler.

And, remember kids...their website is "dickssportinggoods.com"...trust me...carelessness in this can be embarrassing
    :wrongdoor:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    well after looking at the jetboil site I guess I got a super sweet deal because I have the flash which is the best version, so :rockwoot:

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    tyler, you might want to look at one of those can stabilizers for it too. The center of gravity on this is fairly high with a pot full of water. The stabilizers give you an extra couple of inches on the can width to improve the stability overall.

And I don't want to hear any jokes about where you got your JetBoil and anything I mentioned above either.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    tyler, you might want to look at one of those can stabilizers for it too. The center of gravity on this is fairly high with a pot full of water. The stabilizers give you an extra couple of inches on the can width to improve the stability overall.

And I don't want to hear any jokes about where you got your JetBoil and anything I mentioned above either.

it came with one already.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    tyler just saw my jet boil at the survival class and coppied me ;) :D

but thats ok. I saw his knife and pistol and wanted to copy him :rockwoot:

i love the jet boil!! mine 2 arent the flash, they are just the regular jetboil, i think they discontinued. looks like the flash though.

Lex, im not going fishing with you again now :laugh:

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    My PCS has been around so long I've had to rebuild it three times, maybe 4. Fantastic stove at any altitude I've ever been to. I have a pre-production Sol Ti in my plane's emergency bag but I haven't used it all that much.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    JetBoil is a pretty good Product.

I still like my WhisperLite better though...

The Jetboil is an excellent product and very fuel efficient. My primary problem with it has more to do with the fact that it uses fuel cartridges than anything else. Like Jeremy, I prefer a stove that burns anything I can find (gas, alcohol, kerosene, diesel, etc) which is useful not only while traveling but also in shtf situations.

I'd have no issues taking a JetBoil on a mountaineering expedition where every ounce is precious, but the WhisperLite is what lives in my to-go bag.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    but your assuming you will be able to find fuel for an extended period after a disaster with the whisperlite. also you have to handle the fuel which is messy and could cause you injury. I took all these into consideration before I chose the jetboil to go in my BOB's. now for a semi-permanent location a whisperlite might be fine. but not in evasion in my opinion. I like having everything contained and ready to go. like mentioned above, the jetboil is VERY efficient. over the coarse of 2 days i used it several times a day and that canister still has fuel in it. the canisters are only $5 each at gander mountain. when im at my Bug Out location, im not gonna be using any kind of stove like that, so my need for it is only in travel. It will save me time I wont have going and looking for fuel which could get me robbed, killed, or just waiste time and energy that will be at a premium and cant be wasted. I considered long and hard about my decision. but what works for me might not work for you. 2-cents.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    If it's an extended time then I'm not going to be using a stove anyway, I'll be eating food cold or using a tin can firepit (twigs or dry grass in a can). I actually tend to consider the ability to cook food a luxury for the most part. What I'm talking about is the short term, and tying myself to a type of fuel source that can only be bought and not scrounged is high among my considerations. I've been deployed on missions to areas where I couldn't find butane cylinders, but even in third world places a cup of gasoline or 140 proof whiskey is usually available, and during events like Katrina then liquid fuels are far more readily available.

If I'm in E&E, which I quite frankly put fairly low in the likelyhood, I'll be living off powerbars and MREs and eating my dried foods as is, not stopping in a location long enough to set up a stove and boil water.

I'm not knocking the JetBoil, as I said in my original post I think it's an EXCELLENT piece of gear. It just doesn't fit my mission as well.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I started with a Jetboil and liked it. However, after a lot of thought I went to a Pocket Rocket (yeah still have the fuel cans) and a titanium pot and pan for the simple reason of; I can cook up something fast on the Pocket Rocket if need be, or, use the pot or pan on a fire pit if time & conditions permit it.

I was thinking along the lines of what E5Ranger said; if you have to move, then move quickly. But also wanted some redundancy in cooking methods to be able to use different fuel sources.

I guess you could say the same thing about the WhisperLite set-up too.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Ranger,

I am much like Shibumiseeker in that I prefer the WhisperLite due to the fact that if it is a liquid and is flammable you can pretty much count on running it in the WhisperLite. The one thing I have noticed even in the Stone Age Countries I have been through is that you can almost count on finding something that you can pour into the WhisperLite.

I am in NO way dogging or knocking the JetBoils. I just traded mine off not to long ago. My only complaint with it was the reason I moved to the WhisperLite. I got tired of having to have Canisters shipped to me...

Pretty much the only time I really see myself using the stove is during Winter Camping. Well that and drinking Coffee...

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Ranger,

I am much like Shibumiseeker in that I prefer the WhisperLite due to the fact that if it is a liquid and is flammable you can pretty much count on running it in the WhisperLite. The one thing I have noticed even in the Stone Age Countries I have been through is that you can almost count on finding something that you can pour into the WhisperLite.

I am in NO way dogging or knocking the JetBoils. I just traded mine off not to long ago. My only complaint with it was the reason I moved to the WhisperLite. I got tired of having to have Canisters shipped to me...

Pretty much the only time I really see myself using the stove is during Winter Camping. Well that and drinking Coffee...

I understand your guys reasoning. for me it works. i might buy a whisperlite too eventually. Jeremy, you should have contacted me about the jet boil containers. I have over 30 of them now :):. everytime i go into gander mountain I buy at least a couple, and sometimes all on the shelf. you never know when they will be out of stock.

Top Bottom