• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    I need to replace the factory soft top on my 1998 Wrangler, since it's old and in pretty bad shape. I have full-steel doors. Any recommendations on brands? I didn't realize there were so many third-party makers of Jeep soft tops.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Bestop, they make the OEM tops for Jeep. The last time I replaced mine I went with a Sunrider from them. It goes up and folds pretty much like the OEM top but also has the option of folding back like a sun roof. Really nice when your in a hurry and don't want to spend time removing and stowing windows and folding up the entire top. It's also nice on those days when it's nice and sunny but not quite warm enough to go topless or cold in the morning but nice when you leave work and don't want to spend time putting the top down for the drive home, just to put it back up again the next morning. You can also open or close the sun roof part from the driver's seat, which makes it really handy. The only down side that I found was that it doesn't have the straps to allow you to roll up the rear window. If you remember the grey soft top that I had on my 97 TJ, then you know what they look like. PM or call me if you have any questions or want help putting it on.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    Second on Best Top.Installed one on wife's Wrangler some time back.Mail ordered from factory.Fit perfect,200$ cheaper than dealer.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Bestop, they make the OEM tops for Jeep. The last time I replaced mine I went with a Sunrider from them. It goes up and folds pretty much like the OEM top but also has the option of folding back like a sun roof. Really nice when your in a hurry and don't want to spend time removing and stowing windows and folding up the entire top. It's also nice on those days when it's nice and sunny but not quite warm enough to go topless or cold in the morning but nice when you leave work and don't want to spend time putting the top down for the drive home, just to put it back up again the next morning. You can also open or close the sun roof part from the driver's seat, which makes it really handy. The only down side that I found was that it doesn't have the straps to allow you to roll up the rear window. If you remember the grey soft top that I had on my 97 TJ, then you know what they look like. PM or call me if you have any questions or want help putting it on.

I have the same top, and it came with the straps.

Bestop makes the best soft tops.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    bestop for sure! and if they have the "premium" fabric available for TJs like they do now for JKs, I would get that every day and twice on Sunday!

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I have a Sunrider on my TJ now. Been a pretty good top. Needs replaced after 13 years, though. It doesn't have the rear window straps, either. Had to mock some up.

What's your budget, OP? Keeping the TJ a while longer? Bestop is by far the best, but can be spendy. There are options to replace just the fabric and windows (keep all hardware) for under $300.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have a Sunrider on my TJ now. Been a pretty good top. Needs replaced after 13 years, though. It doesn't have the rear window straps, either. Had to mock some up.

What's your budget, OP? Keeping the TJ a while longer? Bestop is by far the best, but can be spendy. There are options to replace just the fabric and windows (keep all hardware) for under $300.

Heh. Everything about a Jeep Wrangler is spendy.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Bestop gets my vote. I had a black supertop on my '99 when I bought it. Traded a friend for a tan OEM one after I painted the Jeep. It's getting a little ragged now though.

Top Bottom