• ...and so much more!
  • Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    True Terror - Chapter 1

Watson Drake’s eyes were closed tightly as he tried to control the pain invading his body. The man that had tried to slit Watson’s throat was standing there, talking to another of the hijackers. It was obvious that they thought Watson was dead. They would not be discussing what they were if they thought anyone was listening.

But Watson had managed to turn just enough to keep the sharpened edge of the boot arch support from slicing into his jugular when the hijacker slid it across Watson’s neck. The pain was intense, and there’d been blood. A lot of blood. But the improvised weapon had not cut either of the external jugulars, and only nicked the trachea.

As part of trying to control the pain in his neck, Watson was breathing very shallowly, making no sound, more than a little afraid the expedient knife that the man was holding, dripping Watson’s blood onto the floor of the Boeing 737, would be used on him again, with more success if the hijacker’s realized he wasn’t dead.

The sounds of people moaning and crying finally faded away as Watson lost consciousness. But not before he’d locked the words he’d heard into his mind. A time and date, and the words, “…when the pillars shake and the fires of death fall upon the Great Satan…”

Watson wasn’t out for long. But it was long enough for his body to have recovered slightly from the shock of the attempted murder. Barely breathing, opening his eyes only the barest crack, he took in the scene.

The man that had sliced him was standing near him, looking forward in the plane at his cohort in the hijacking. A third hijacker was hammering on the cockpit door, while a fourth held one of the cabin attendants against him, another sharpened boot arch support against her throat.

One man, big, sitting in an aisle seat just behind the man holding the cabin attendant, looked around at the hijacker. Watson must have moved for the man’s eyes dropped to Watson, lying on the cabin floor. It was enough to make the hijacker start to turn around to look, as well.

Watson knew he had no choice if he was to have any chance to live. He raised both feet and kicked into the side of the hijacker’s knees, taking him down. The big guy, realizing what he’d done, was immediately turning and rising from the seat, his hands up, crossed at the wrists. He hit the hijacker holding the attendant in the neck with crossed wrists.

Blood spurted from the man’s hand as it gripped the expedient knife to keep it from the attendant’s long, vulnerable neck. The attended raked her shoe down the hijacker’s shin and they all went down. The action spurned half a dozen other passengers into action. Three on one, in each case, was enough to take the other two hijackers down.

The hijacker Watson had kicked was groaning in pain with a shattered knee, but he was swinging the boot arch support toward Watson’s face. But a woman with a lap top computer in her hands slammed the hijacker in the back of the head with all her strength and he dropped down on Watson, out of it for the moment. But so was Watson.

He didn’t see the passengers truss up the four hijackers, and then get Watson back in a seat, his neck bandaged by the cabin attendant that had been under the hijackers weapon. He came to on a gurney, looking up into the eyes of a concerned paramedic. His eyes cut toward the big man sitting in a seat ahead of the gurney. A hand with a bloody bandage waved slightly. He was suddenly gone, a paramedic leading him out of the plane for further care.

“You are one lucky man,” the paramedic working on Watson’s neck said. Another millimeter and you’d be dead. You lucky you aren’t anyway. You’ve lost quite a bit of blood. That nick in the trachea is not a problem, but the one in your left exterior jugular could have gone at any time. Still could. So stay calm and we’ll get you into surgery to get a couple of stitches in the right places. Then you’ll be out of danger.”

“The jugular was nicked?” was all Watson had time to say before he passed out again. Something brought him around as the paramedics took the gurney off the plane to thunderous applause. Passengers and crew alike were standing there, applauding as Watson was rolled by.

“He’s the one that got it going,” said the big guy. “His actions saved us all. And a cut throat, to boot.”

The paramedics hurried him away to an ambulance, thankfully. Watson wanted to protest that he’d done anything except try to save his own life, but was afraid to even speak, the thought of his jugular spurting blood making him try and stay as calm as possible.

Watson was in a hospital bed a day later, waiting to be released after undergoing the minor surgery to stitch up his trachea and jugular vein. That was when the investigation team came in and he thought he was going to pop the jugular anyway.

He tried his best to get the information across that there was some kind of plan in place due on the date he kept giving them. None of the questioners seemed at all inclined to believe him. “They wouldn’t have been doing what they were doing, if something larger was planned, Mr. Drake. You let us figure out what is going on. You just answer our questions honestly and we’ll take it from there. If there is something else going on, we’ll figure it out.”

Exhausted, Watson quit trying, just doing as they asked, answering questions, or trying to. He didn’t have answers for many of them. But that didn’t seem to bother them. “Don’t worry, Drake. When we have everyone debriefed we’ll know exactly what went on and why.”

“I hope so,” Drake told the very confident looking and sounding woman. He finally got out of the hospital just before dark. His things had been given back to him, so he had a change of clothes to put on before he went to find a cab. He managed to avoid the reporters waiting to talk to him.

With a deep sigh of relief, Watson checked into a motel and took a long shower, avoiding getting his bandages wet. He slept for almost thirty-six hours, getting up only twice to go to the bathroom. He woke up ravenously hungry and thirsty. He took a couple of sips of water when he brushed his teeth, and then went down to the motel lobby to catch a cab.

As hungry as he was, the Continental Breakfast just wouldn’t cut it. He had the cabbie take him to a restaurant and paid it off. He got a paper before he went in, and stood there reading about himself on the front page, waiting to be seated.

Watson was shaking his head when the hostess came up. “A problem, Sir?” she asked.

He shook his head. “No. Just don’t believe everything you read in the paper.”

“Or watch on TV,” the young woman said, showing Watson to a vacant table for two. “You’re server will be right with you.”

“Thank you,” Watson said and then turned back to the paper. He continued to read as his order was taken and then brought to the table. Eating slowly, Watson savored every bite of the breakfast as he went through the newspaper from cover to cover.

After the meal, he caught another cab and went back to the motel. A few hours later he was on another plane, this one taking him home, having given the presentation to a potential customer despite the bandages on his throat.

He had a feeling he wouldn’t get the contract, since the entire staff at the company was more interested in the hijacking and his part of it. Watson had not been too sure about the prospect, anyway, but you took every shot you could in these economic times.

When Watson arrived back at his condo at seven the next morning, he stripped, including the bandages, and took a long soak in the hot tub before going to bed for another twenty-four hours of sleep.

He woke up Wednesday, refreshed, and glad to be alive, he realized over breakfast. Then the thought of what he’d heard the one hijacker tell another came to him. He went to the laptop computer on his desk and turned it on after plugging it in. He pulled up the date that had been mentioned and tried to discern how it might be an important date to the hijackers.

It was an ordinary day, nine months hence, as far as he could tell. No religious significance to any specific religion. No holiday anywhere he could find. Just a Wednesday. Like this one.

Watson leaned back in the desk chair and looked out over the city. He had a great view of Lake Michigan and the Magnificent Mile of Chicago. He was making eight-hundred thousand a year on commissions, working just twenty hours a week, banking most of it, living the life of Riley. He drove a Rolls Royce Phantom. Had every electronic device available, enough gold and silver men’s jewelry that he seldom wore to adorn even the most lavish ancient monarch.

Two thousand dollar suits. Meals out almost every night at Chicago’s finest establishments, and then Friday nights out on the town with any one of a dozen beautiful women that counted themselves lucky to be asked occasionally.

Why was he suddenly feeling unfulfilled? At a loss? Watson pulled up the next project he was working on. The building suddenly looked flashy, gaudy, not suave and trendy, like it should be. What was wrong?

Still leaning back in the chair with his hands cupped around the back of his head, Watson spoke out loud. “It’s November 16, 2011 that is bothering me. And what those terrorists have planned.”

Watson suddenly leaned forward and turned to the computer. He searched for significant events on November 16. There were lots of entries, but nothing he could discern that would be a rousing cry for anyone.

He found himself researching terrorism. That led to some of the things that terrorists might do. That led Watson to how to prepare for what terrorists might do. Then to general survival and prepping for the end of the world. And finally to self-sufficiency.

At eleven-thirty that evening Watson stretched and groaned. He’d been on the computer all day long. He was hungry and thirsty, with oh so many things going on in his mind. Not bothering to change into a suit, Watson headed down to the parking garage and got into the Rolls. He ran his hand over the smooth leather. He started up the powerful, quiet engine.

Shaking his head as he thought of the cow that the leather might have come from, and the horsepower he had harnessed in the vehicle that could be plowing a field for crops. Heading for the nearest favorite restaurant, Watson began to count up his assets in his head. But it was too confusing. He had money in several places. Diversity was the key to investments, he’d been taught. “Funny thing,” he muttered. “Those survivalist, preppers, and self-sufficiency people all seem to believe in that, too.”

The restaurant wouldn’t let him in. He didn’t have a jacket or tie. Just the three hundred dollar shirt, five hundred dollar pants, and seven hundred dollar shoes. Of course the maitre’ d gave him a jacket from those the restaurant kept for just such an occasion. Along with a tie.

Watson didn’t find the idea objectionable. A place of business could be run however the owners wanted it. But the sudden thought that came to him was that he wasn’t prepared. Not even for going to a specific restaurant.

“You have a lot to learn,” Watson muttered to himself. Then he enjoyed one of the best steak and lobster dinners he’d had in some time. And paid the hefty price without blinking. But the last thought in his mind before he fell asleep after going home was, “Wonder where that food had to come from?”

The first thing that Watson did the next morning was check his various portfolios of investments. Some were up, and some were down. Diversity was paying off. But what good would they do him if terrorists knocked out the financial district here or in New York?

The more questions he had, and the more research he did to answer them, led to even more research. He was getting an inkling of a plan, but he wasn’t about to rush into something without thinking it through completely. That was how he designed buildings and developments. By addressing every detail thoroughly, and combining them in winning combinations.

So Watson decided to start planning. He had the computer system with which to do it. Three large screen monitors, plus the widescreen laptop display allowed him to have a couple of internet windows open, a word document to take notes, and a spreadsheet to plug numbers into.

Watson had to force himself to get back on the last project he had in the works. He’d already been turned down on the one he’d made the presentation for after the hijacking. He found himself starting over almost from scratch, but was more than pleased with the result when he wrapped it up a week later.

He sent it off to the developers and received an almost immediate acceptance. “That’s another two-hundred-thousand in the ol’ bank account,” Watson mused when he got the acceptance notification. “Now, what to do with it?”

An idea suddenly came to him and he went to the computer to look up places to buy gold and silver. He had some mining stocks, but having the precious metals in hand was supposed to be much better.

But suddenly he paused. It occurred to him that there was another caveat about owning gold and silver. The fewer people that knew of it, the better, and in a like manner, the less paper trail left, the better.

“Hmm,” he thought. Then he smiled. “Wonder where my checkbooks are?” He had a plan.

Taking the Rolls to the main office of one of the banks he used, he went in, checkbook in hand. He’d been made aware of the limit of cash that could be withdrawn without causing any unwanted waves.

Twenty minutes later Watson walked out of the bank with nine-thousand dollars in one-hundred-dollar bills. Three hours later, after trips to each of the Chicago banks he used, he had a total of fifty-four-thousand dollars.

When he went home that night, after travelling all over Chicago to different coin shops he had a few dollars left, plus forty bright, shiny, new one-ounce Gold Eagles. He was smiling when he went to bed, the coins in the safe behind one of the Picasso’s hanging in the living room of the condo.

Watson had just made his first step to reaching the new goal of becoming as self-sufficient as possible. Before November 16, 2011.

The gold acquisition had satisfied Watson’s initial need to do something constructive on his way to independence from ‘The Grid’ as he thought of it. Some intangible something that he wanted to be free of, rather than just electric lines, water line, sewer lines and so on.

So he began to research more things on the internet. Everything to do with going ‘Off Grid’, as well as surviving the various things that could happen between now and whatever it was that was going to happen on ‘The Date”.

Fairly aware of the weather dangers of Chicago, Watson investigated those, and the new ones he discovered during his research. He did dearly love the city, despite the negatives, but it was obvious from the first that going independent wasn’t going to happen in the city. Nor even on the outskirts.

His research kept pointing toward a working farm and ranch, run with as much efficiency as possible, with the least dependence on outside resources. Watson quickly marked off the idea of becoming completely self-sufficient and independent of ‘The Grid’. It really wasn’t doable.

But there were degrees of independence, and many of the dependencies could be made much more dependable than the current version, or alternatives developed. Still an infrastructure, but one less likely to be disrupted by anything outside Watson’s control.

Normally the path he was on took several years of hard work, scrimping, saving, learning new things, and building things up slowly. “Not enough time,” Watson muttered one evening after considering and discarding several ideas on how to do what he wanted done.

“There are people that know what I need to know,” he mused, swiveling back and forth in the desk chair, hands behind his head in the position that he so often assumed when in deep thought.

Suddenly his eyes cut toward one of the expensive prints hanging on the wall near his desk. He slowly turned the chair, taking in all the works of art he had ‘invested’ in over the years. “Wonder how many cans of beans I could get for one of those in the PAW?” A second later he answered his own question. “Not any.”

Sighing, Watson set up straight and turned back to the computer. He pulled up the spreadsheet that held his insurance inventory of objects in the condo. “Sheesh!” he muttered. “Talk about buying some beans…”

Though it was late, Watson opened up his cell phone and ran through his contact list. Janey Montenna was his art person. They saw each other socially at times, and she had got him started in collecting art as an ‘investment for the future’ as she’d put it.

“Janey! Yes, it is Watson. I’d like to talk to you tomorrow about my collection… Yes. That would be fine. I’ll see you for lunch.”

With something else started, Watson relaxed, able to prepare and enjoy the simple meal he put together from his first ever real purchase of ‘regular’ food. He went to bed after a half an hour on his exercise machine. “Need to do something real, there, too,” Watson decided. He was fairly fit and trim, but it was all machine made. Could he travel ten miles with a pack on his back? “No, not yet,” he muttered just before falling asleep.

Janey was distraught. All the great buys she’d found for him and he was going to give them away. Janey sniffed and her right hand held a delicate hanky to her eyes as tears formed.

“I’m not giving them away, Janey,” Watson told the woman quietly. “I expect to sell them at a large profit to… Well, I have some other investments in mind.”

The tears stopped, and the hand with the hanky went to the table top. “Who is it? You found another dealer?”

Watson sighed. Quite the change in Janey when she thought she was just being out sold. “No, Janey. Nothing like that. I just want some tangible things. Things I can touch.”

“You can touch those things! Well… Perhaps not the paintings… And you have to be very careful with the glassware… The carvings… well, they shouldn’t be handled too much…”

“That’s not what I meant, Janey. I want something worthwhile that is also useful. Not just something pretty to look at.”

“You just tell me what you want, Watson, and I’ll find it for you.”

“I don’t think you’d be interested in finding me the things I’m thinking about. But back on track. When can we have the auction?”

“Two weeks, I suppose,” Janey replied, feeling defeated. “It will take that long to get things moved and catalogued.”

“You see to it, Janey, and there will be a nice fee in it for you.”

That perked the woman up some, Watson saw. And then he got a good look at her eyes. They were focused off in the distance. “Calculating on who she can broker them to, or I miss my guess,” Watson thought.

“I must go,” Janey said after heartily consuming her lunch. “I’ll get back to you with the particulars.”

“Okay, Janey. Thank you.” Watson stood and took her hand for a limp handshake when Janey held it out. He sat back down and continued to eat his desert and finish his coffee.

Watson had thought that dealing with Janey had been a pain. It struck him later the next day that she hadn’t held a candle against what his investment ‘team’ put him through when he told them what he wanted.

“You cannot sell everything, Watson! It just isn’t done!” said Bill Duggan, the lead member of the investment ‘team’ that was the company that handled Watson’s financial holdings.

“What do you mean I can’t?” Watson asked, with just a bit of chill in his voice.

“Well… Of course you can sell them. But it just isn’t done. You could stand to lose millions in upcoming profits!”

“You think the markets are going to turn around?” Watson asked, watching closely Bill’s eyes. They wouldn’t meet Watson’s.

“Well, it is a volatile market. There are never any guarantees. You know that. Let me do a little research and see what I can find that will be more to what you want… Which… Actually, I don’t know what you want to get into when you sell what you have.”

“I want cash, Billy. Cash in my account.”

“Cash! Are you nu…” Bill shut up for a moment when Watson looked ready to get up and walk out. “Okay. Okay. Cash it is. At least you’re leaving it in the account. I’ll be able to pick up whatever bargains there are that you must obviously be looking into.”

Watson didn’t tell Bill that the cash wouldn’t be in the account for long. Instead, he just stood up and shook Bill’s hand. “Thank you, Bill. I knew you and the ‘team’ would do just what I needed done. Keep me informed whenever you make a sale.”

Bill stood, too, to shake Watson’s hand. “Of course. Just part of the service.”

Watson had always believed that, but was beginning to get the feeling he was just one more dollar sign in Bill’s eyes.

The next upset person in Watson’s life was his real estate broker. He held parcels of land and interest in several building projects in and around Chicago. Twinette Zoagle, Watson thought, was going to have a heart attack. Or a seizure.

“Are you all right, Twinette?” Perhaps you’d better sit down.

“Oh, Honey! You’ve just given me a case of the flutters. Dear boy, tell me now you are joking and all things will be well.”

“Twinette, I’m not joking. I want to sell all my holdings in and around Chicago, including the condo, and buy a farm or ranch somewhere in the rural areas of the state. Or over in Missouri, up in Michigan… I’m not sure yet just exactly where I want to be.”

“Surely you don’t mean you are moving, as well! Not out of Chicago!”

Twinette looked worse, Watson thought. He filled a glass with water from the sideboard in her office and handed it to her. She took a tiny sip, her eyes on Watson.

“Does this have something to do with Janey Montenna? She offered me several works that I know are in your collection.”

“Same reason,” Watson said. “But that isn’t really a concern here. I just need you to list my properties and sell them for as much as you can.”

“You really are serious, aren’t you, dear?”

“I am, Twinette. I really don’t want to go into the whys and wherefores.

“If you insist, deary. If you insist. I shall humbly do your bidding.” A limp handshake reminiscent of Janey’s, and Watson left the office.

What he’d experienced over the last several days had him a little leery about his next step. Replacing the Rolls Royce Phantom with something a bit more Prep-worthy. He just couldn’t picture himself in an old, beat up, dirty pickup truck.

And a Cadillac Escalade was probably too citified for what he might have to do with a vehicle. But first, get rid of the Rolls. He could pick up a BMW or Mercedes Benz to drive for awhile while he looked for something else.

Going to the closest dealer, Watson was talking to the manager about selling the Phantom, with little success, when a salesman knocked on the door and asked to talk to the manager.

Watson wandered out to wait while the two discussed something. He noticed an elderly couple looking over the Phantom and went out to talk to them, mostly just for something to do.

“Nice car,” said the man. “Is it yours?”

Watson nodded. “Sure is. Hello, I’m Watson Drake. You here for service?”

“Oh, no,” said the woman. “We want to buy one. Is yours here for service? We thought they were very reliable.”

Watson smiled. “Oh, they are. I’m not here for service. Actually, I’m trying to sell mine.”

“But why, if they are such good cars?” asked the man. He was running his fingertips over the shiny finish of Watson’s Phantom. “I’m Glen and this is Elsie. Miller.”

Watson shook their hands and said, “Oh, sort of a mid-life crisis sort of thing, I suppose. I’m going to get one of the SUVs. Four wheel drive and all that.”

“You’re too young to have a mid-life crisis,” Elsie said.

Watson smiled back. A salesman came over and Glen and Elsie followed him off to look at the showroom models. Watson just stood and watched the sky. It was a glorious day out. He turned when the manager approached. They began discussing again the sale of the Phantom back to the dealership. The manager simply didn’t want to do it. He shot Watson a ridiculously lowball offer.

“No, thanks,” Watson said. “I’ll deal elsewhere.”

Glen and Elsie were again standing by the Phantom when Watson walked out of the building. “So, did you buy one?” he asked.

Both turned sad eyes on him. “No,” Glen said.

“They are so much more than we expected,” Elsie said.

“How much did you want to spend?” Watson asked.

When Glen told him how much they’d set aside for the car of their dreams, Watson whistled. “Well, if that isn’t a coincidence? That’s about what I was willing to sell mine for. Care to take a ride?”

“You aren’t serious!” Elsie said.

“Totally,” Watson replied. It might not be the maximum that he could get for the car, but it was enough. He just felt for the couple. They had their hearts set on a Rolls in their last years.

Watson opened the passenger door and handed Elsie in. “You drive,” he told Glen and tossed him the key.

“You really are serious!” Glen said. When Watson nodded, Glen grinned and got in behind the wheel.

Half an hour later they were back at the dealership. Glen parked the Phantom next to the couple’s Audi A8L W12 luxury sedan. The three got out of the Phantom and Watson walked around the car to shake first Glen’s and then Elsie’s hand. “I’ll be by Saturday.”

“We’ll have a cashier’s check in hand,” Glen said.

The two got in the Audi and drove off. Watson looked over at the dealership office and saw the manager looking at him. Watson just waved, got into the Phantom, and drove away, grinning.

With the Phantom sold, Watson decided to stop and get something else to drive while he looked for an appropriate Prep vehicle. He was headed toward a BMW dealership, but saw a Mercedes Benz dealership just ahead on the right side of the road. It really didn’t matter much to him what he got. He just wanted a good car.

So he pulled into the dealership and parked the Phantom out of the way. He began going down the line of vehicles, just looking at them to see if something stood out. A salesman was on the way out. With the experience he’d just had he wasn’t really looking to dealing with another one.

But the woman was there and Watson was too much of a gentleman to brush her off. “How can I help you today, Sir?”

“Sold my old car. Just looking for an interim car. I want to get an SUV, but I want to look around some before I buy.”

“Look no further,” the woman said. “We have the best line of SUVs and cross-over vehicles on the market.

Watson had to smile. She’d said it with such a straight and sincere expression. And she was pretty. Why not spend a little time looking at vehicles?

“Okay. What do you have?” Watson asked.

“Have you decided on a cross-over, compact SUV, or full size? We have quite a selection of all three. We even have a G55 AMG. Probably the best SUV on the market.”

Watson had a hard time concentrating on her words. The skirt she wore was swirling around in the wind, providing delightful glimpses of long, long legs.

“Uh… Yes. If it’s the best, might as well look at it first,” Watson said, dragging his eyes up to the woman’s face.

She smiled at him. He knew she must have seen where his eyes had been, but didn’t seem to mind. Watson smiled back.

“It is right over here,” she said, sweeping an arm for Watson to precede her.

“Not in the display room? I would have thought if it was the best, it would be show cased.”

The grin exposed some dimples, Watson noticed. “Normally the best of the best is in the showroom. But this vehicle is a bit out of the ordinary. Not very many people are going to be interested. It is the best, but it is expensive. We have a good price on it, I assure you. But for most SUV buyers it is a little above their reach. And believe me, the weather isn’t going to hurt it any.”

“You didn’t see what I drove into the lot in, did you?”

“Oh. You have a trade in?” the woman asked.

“Nope. Sold it outright. Just asking. So. This it?”

“This is it. G55 AMG. Five-hundred go anywhere horsepower.”

“Not claiming to know much about SUVs,” Watson said. “But what makes this worth…” Watson looked at the sticker and whistled. It was a great deal more than he thought it would be just looking at the boxy thing. “This much?” he continued, pointing his thumb at the sticker.

“If you’ll come inside, I’ll show you. But are you sure you don’t want to look at another of these SUVs first?” The woman obviously thought that the G55 AMG might be out of Watson’s reach.

“No. I don’t think so. I would like to know more about this one, though.”

Watson had to admit, she was good. He had a feeling the rig got a lot of lookers and inquiries, and very few buyers. But she didn’t show it. Watson followed her into the showroom and into a cubical.

She turned a computer display around and pulled up the information on the G55 AMG. She definitely was good, and did know her stuff. Watson learned more in the twenty minutes he spent with her than he had in a day of research on the internet.

“What is your best price?” Watson finally said.

“I’m afraid, that on this vehicle, it will be the sticker price. They are few and far between. And worth every penny of the price.” She said firmly and with some pride.

“Out the door?”

“Sure,” the woman replied, “For a sale like this, of course.”

“Oh. Okay. I’ll take it.”

Her eyes widened remarkably. “You’ll take it? Just like that?”

Watson grinned. “Sure do. I’ll write you a check.”

“A check? I’m afraid we’ll have to wait for the check to clear, Mr…”

“Drake. Watson Drake. And your name?”

“Karri, Mr. Drake. Let me talk to the manager…”

“Don’t wait too long, Karri. I need to be going in a few minutes.”

“Yes. Of course.”

Watson was smiling when he pulled out his checkbook from the inside breast pocket of his suit coat. He had the check written out when Karri and the dealership’s manager came back into the room.

“Here you go. I need to be on my way. When can I pick it up, do you think?” Watson was watching Karri. She looked a little concerned. As if she might be wasting her boss’ time and that he wouldn’t like it.

“Sure! Sure!” the man nearly bellowed. “Tell you what, give me five minutes to verify this and we’ll have you out the door.” It was an almost evil grin on the man’s face. Karri didn’t seem to like it any more than Watson did.

“He thinks I’m just stringing you along, doesn’t he?” Watson asked.

Karri had settled into her chair behind the desk and prepared to defend a boss she didn’t really care for. “You have to understand…”

“Mr. Drake!” said the manager. He was standing in the doorway. “Karri! Why didn’t you tell me this was Watson Drake?” His manner was totally different. Almost deferential. “We can have the vehicle ready by tomorrow, first thing in the morning.”

Karri’s eyes widened again. “The check is good?” she asked.

“Of course,” said the manager. “Don’t be disrespectful of our clientele. You should be ashamed. Come, Mr. Drake. I’ll finish up the paperwork with you.

Karri was red in the face. Watson mouthed a heartfelt ‘Sorry’ to her and she gave him a slight nod, her color returning to normal.

Watson was treated like royalty during the rest of the process of signing the papers for the car. The manager couldn’t do enough to please him. It was rather cloying and Watson was glad when it was over.

After shaking the manager’s hand for the fourth time, having to drag it almost forcefully from his grip, Watson started to walk over to Karri’s office. The manager watched for a moment, but then shrugged and went to his office. It was a done deal. Watson couldn’t back out now without some serious penalties.

“Care to go get a drink to wash the bad taste out of your mouth?” Watson asked, leaning against the door jamb.

“What?” Karri asked. “I’m not one to date our customers, Mr. Drake.”

“That I can understand. But seeing as your boss is taking credit for the sale, I don’t think I qualify as your customer.”

“Why that no good, low down…” The red was back in her face for a moment as she abruptly quit speaking. “Just a minute.”

Karri was typing on the computer keyboard with a vengeance. “You’re right. He signed off as the seller, leaving me out in the cold.” She said, looking up at Watson. “Would that be a double, by chance?”

“Whatever you want,” Watson replied.

Not quite slamming drawers closed, Karri took a few things out of the desk and grabbed a couple of jackets hanging on a coat stand in one corner of her office. She marched straight from her office to the door of the manager’s.

“One too many times, Angelo! I quit! Have Clarence send me the paperwork and my final check.” Karri turned on a heel and headed for the exit.

Watson followed along quietly until they were outside. “Good for you. I didn’t like it much when he did that.”

“Which car?” Karri asked, standing beside the Phantom.

Watson reached down and opened the passenger door. “This one. Until Saturday. I sold it.”

“You sold a Rolls Royce Phantom to buy a Mercedes Benz G55 AMG?”

“Well, that wasn’t my intent when I sold it. Didn’t know what I was going to buy eventually,” Watson said. He started the car and backed it out of the parking slot. “I just came in here to get a regular sedan until I could research SUVs a bit more. You gave me the education I needed and sold me the best there is.”

“You bought just on my recommendation?” Karri asked.

Watson looked over at her for a moment and nodded.

“Well. Don’t know what to say. Oh.” She pulled out a cell phone and speed dialed a number. “Need to let my girlfriend know not to pick me up at work.”

Watson paid attention to the heavy Chicago traffic as Karri tried to explain to her friend what had transpired. He couldn’t keep from smiling a couple of times at her exasperated tone when her friend didn’t seem to believe her.

Finally Karri closed the phone and sighed. “Expect the third degree when you drop me off.”

Watson laughed as he pulled into one of the bars he went to occasionally.

“I’m a little out of my class here,” Karri said. “I was intending to buy a round, too.”

“Don’t worry about it. I just wanted some way to apologize for what I caused to happen to you.”

“It isn’t your fault, Mr. Drake. I’ve been so close to quitting so many times recently… It was only a matter of time.”

“It’s Watson. Well, to be honest, I like you, too. Otherwise I’d just have sent flowers in apology.”

“Oh. I hope you don’t expect anything but a thank you for the drinks.”

Watson shook his head and opened the driver’s door. “I’m not like that,” he said simply.

Karri believed him. She took his arm when he offered it to her after he opened the passenger door.

An hour and a half later Watson walked Karri to the front door of a modest house in one of the nicer Chicago suburbs. The door opened and the porch light came on before they reached the door.

A woman about Karri’s age stood in the door and just looked at Watson.

“Sorry,” Karri said, giving the woman a light shove so she could step inside. She turned and looked up at Watson’s eyes. “Call me?”

“You can bet on it,” Watson said. He turned around and walked lightly to the car. He hadn’t met anyone as interesting as Karri in a long time. And he really didn’t know that much about her. Yet.

A cab ride to the dealership the next morning and Watson was the proud owner of the G55 AMG. He drove home and began to research what additions, if any, he would need to make to the vehicle to make it into the best that it could be.

That Saturday Watson had a cab meet him at the Miller’s house and exchanged the Phantom for a cashier’s check. He tucked the check into a pocket and had the cabbie take him to the condo.

His plan for the rest of the day was to sort through his personal belongings with an eye to what was of real value and what was just for show. He’d gone through a stage after he’d make it big, and had a girlfriend in the jewelry business, of buying very high quality men’s jewelry.

Once the woman had dropped him for someone with a lot more money, Watson had worn very little of it. So he was ruthless when he began the separation process. When he was finished, the keeper items fit in one hand. Those to be sold were a double handful.

That task done, Watson did the same thing with his walk-in closet of clothes. Again, everything was of high quality, but he just didn’t wear many of them anymore. And if he was going to live a more outdoor lifestyle, his favorites would do for the dressier occasions. He would need to get more outdoor clothes, but not until he researched some more. He had a feeling four-hundred-dollar designer blue jeans weren’t the answer.

Pleased with what he received for the jewelry he converted it all to more gold coins, this time fractional ounces. He got a bit for the clothing he didn’t want at a retro shop, since most of his clothing was classic styles. The rest he donated to the Salvation Army.

Copyright 2010

Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    True Terror - Chapter 2

Watson spent the next week looking for a furnished apartment. He could afford anything he wanted, of course, but saw no reason to splurge on something that was temporary. Deciding it would be easier to taper off his going-out-to-eat tendency, Watson chose a small apartment building in a suburban area. Sure there were fast food places galore, but he had never been one to frequent them. He would have to shop for real food, and prepare it himself.

One factor that had been uppermost in his mind was that he wanted a place that had a basement he could access. For those weather scenarios that called for more than just having a party to watch the thunder and lightning.

Well, that and high speed internet.

There were already a couple of offers for the condo. Watson hired a truck and moved himself. With Karri’s help. She’d offered when he mentioned he was moving, and Watson always had a good time when she was around, so he accepted.

He didn’t have all that many possessions that he wanted to take. The investment grade items were all ready at the auction house. Other than his personal belongings, everything else he would just let go with the condo.

Karri helped him prepare his first home cooked meal in the apartment after the move. They enjoyed a pleasant evening and then Watson took her home. The friend she shared the house with was finally at least acknowledging his presence with a neutral expression rather than a frown.

Watson had decided that Twinette wasn’t the one to find him a farm or a ranch in the ‘Outback’ as she referred to it. So he began looking online for possibilities. There were several online real estate agencies that had rural property for sale.

With the ideas he was getting from Prep and PAW internet sites in mind, Watson began to narrow down his selections.

He kept coming back to one location in south central Missouri near West Plains on US 160 highway. There were sixty-five hundred acres available for seven point eight million.

Watson went down to see the property first hand. It was beautiful country and just what he wanted. Except for the size. He had in mind four sections or two-thousand-five-hundred-sixty acres.

The owners really wanted to sell it intact, but Watson was persuasive. Though he paid a slight premium per acre, he was happy with the four sections he bought for three million. It was the area without any buildings, only open grazing fields and timber. And caves. The property had several caves on it, too. Also some river frontage and a year-round spring.

A month had passed since the hijacking. Watson already felt like he was running out of time. But the next step was one he could control. The design of the buildings that would be on the property. He needed to do the design quickly, for it would take months to build them. Even the preliminary things he had in mind would take some time and he wasn’t completely happy with the design yet.

So he buckled down in the apartment, doing more research on the internet into self-sufficient housing, survival shelters, and the mix of the two. He found out about the commercially produced shelter units. The only two that he would consider had a lead time of almost two years.

He considered every scenario he could think of that the terrorist might be thinking about doing. There was just no way to pin anything down, Watson decided. He would just have to come up with something that would withstand just about any scenario. Including protection from the blast and fallout of a nuclear explosion. He studied the topographic map of the property, and pulled an aerial view online to study the terrain features.

The more he looked, the more convinced he became. He would build not just one, but a series of underground buildings, connected back-to-back and side-to-side, each with an atrium open to the surface, covered with a double glazed poly-carbonate greenhouse like dome.

Once he had the preliminary dimensions calculated for the various buildings and their respective atriums, Watson put in an order for the greenhouse domes. It would be close. Seven months for delivery. But even if they weren’t installed, Watson decided, the structures would still be more than serviceable.

Watson finalized the plans two weeks later. He found an apartment in a town near the property and moved there. Again with Karri’s help. “I guess this means good-bye,” She said when Watson dropped her off at the house.

“Not necessarily, Karri,” Watson replied slowly. “I’d like to continue to see you. You’ve become a big part of my life. I want to see you safe…”

The left side of Karri’s mouth lifted slightly in a smile. “You going to tell me about your preps now?”

Watson’s eyes widened. “Oh. Preps.” He cut a look at Karri’s housemate. She was staring at the two. Watson lowered his voice. “Can we go somewhere and talk?”

Karri smiled broadly. “Thought you’d never ask. Come on. The treats on me this time.”

“But…”

Karri shook her head. “We’ll even take my vehicle.”

“You have a car? I thought Sally was your transportation.”

“She is, most of the time,” Karri said, walking over to the garage. She took a key ring from her slacks and triggered the double garage door. “Her Subaru gets better gas mileage than my rig. And it’s a little awkward in some of the traffic in the city.”

Watson was staring at the big, very black, very tall, Chevy Suburban. It was lifted, with huge tires and had not only a winch in the front bumper, but a rack with several tools and extra lights. The roof rack had lights all around it, and a heavy fitted tarp covered whatever was being carried in the rack.

“Oh…” Watson said. He looked over at Karri. “Looks like one of those rigs I read about in…” Watson’s words trailed off.

“In the PAW fiction?” Karri asked, grinning.

“Uh. Yeah. You read that, too?”

“Oh, yes. Watson. I’m a dedicated prepper. Get in.”

Watson walked around the front of the Suburban and climbed up into the passenger seat when Karri unlocked the doors. “We haven’t been to this place,” Karri told him. “It’s a little more in my price range than the places you usually take me. But I think you’ll like it.” Karri started the Suburban and Watson realized that it had a diesel engine. And it sounded like a powerful one.

It was still early and the place was almost deserted. Watson took in the features. A pair of pool tables, couple of video games, two electronic dart boards, a small stage with a band set up.

“Karaoke later on,” Karri said. “For now, we’ll have it pretty much to ourselves.” Karri looked over at the bartender and waved. “Couple of menus, Trudy?”

The woman waved back and nodded. Karri led Watson over to a corner booth, not too far from the stage. Watson waited until she had taken a seat before he slid in beside her. A few minutes later, with a pitcher of ale on the table and their pizza order taken, Watson looked at Karri.

“I’ve wondered if you’d tell me. I’ve noticed the signs for quite a while now. You’re in the middle of getting prepared for something. Something not good. You’re very intense about some subjects when they happen to come up in conversation, or on the radio or TV.”

Watson wondered if he should tell Karri what he was doing. But only for a fraction of a second. He realized he was falling for Karri in a big way, and wanted her to be part of his life forever.

“Yes. Yes, I am.” Making a quick check around them that brought a smile to Karri’s face, Watson continued, “Remember that attempted hijacking a few weeks ago?”

Karri nodded. Suddenly her eyes widened dramatically. “That was you! The one they tried to cut his throat but he took down one of the terrorists and got the other passengers to help take down the rest! Wow!”

“Don’t make too big of a thing out of it, Karri. It wasn’t exactly what the news coverage said. And some of the passengers were more than generous in their praise. I was just trying not to die.”

“And that event triggered your sudden need to prepare?” Karri asked. She decided this wasn’t the time to press him for details of the hijacking.

“Well, something one of the terrorists told another when they thought I was dead. This is going to sound strange. Very strange.”

Watson quit talking when the pizza was brought to the table and the bartender asked if there was anything else they wanted. When each shook their head no, the bartender left and Watson started speaking again, Karri hanging on his every word.

“I only heard part,” Watson said. “ But I remember them like they were burned into my skull. “…when the pillars shake and the fires of death fall upon the Great Satan…”. That and a date. This coming November 16th.”

“I’m sure you told the authorities. What did they say?”

Watson frowned for a moment. “Just to let them handle it and not worry about it. I’d probably just imagined it when I was going into and out of consciousness. They didn’t seem interested at all.”

Watson sighed. “But it got me to thinking… I’ve lived a really good life. Started out well and I made a reputation for myself and can command the big bucks for my skills. But I was eating out every night and most lunches. Spent money on ‘investments’ that might or might not be worth something in an uncertain future. I decided to make a change.”

“I see. You became a prepper.”

“Yes,” Watson said. “I’m trying to gear it more to self-sufficiency than straight prepping, though the two are so intertwined in my mind that there really isn’t much difference.”

“You’re right. That is what many preppers are shooting for. Eventually. Myself included. It’s just a lot easier to buy up some things and stock them than it is to get into a self-sufficient situation for truly long term existence.”

Watson was nodding. “Yes. You understand.”

“Yes, I do. And Watson, if there is any way I can help you on your quest, just let me know. I have some experience with some things. Have some skills you might find valuable. Not trying to buy a place, just letting you know you can count on me. Assuming you meant what you said that you wanted to stay in contact.”

“I do, Karri. I really do. You’re willing to help me?”

“Just like I said. It would be a little difficult long distance. I would have to move down there. And… You should know that where I go, Sally goes. We’ve been friends for a long time. She has some issues it isn’t my place to go into, but she needs someone around to help her from time to time. And I’m the one that can do it.”

“I understand. You wouldn’t consider moving in with me, I’m thinking.” It wasn’t a question.

“No, Watson. I’m pretty old fashioned. I’d rather have more time before I make that kind of decision. But I’m hoping that Sally and I will have a place in your shelter if we move down there. The house has a good one. I wouldn’t want to give it up with nothing to replace it. At least not in the long term.”

“Of course. It’ll be a while before adequate shelter space is ready, but that is the first order of business on the site.”

“Then I’ll talk it over with Sally. She will say no initially, I’m sure. She doesn’t like change. But I think she’ll come around without problems after the initial rejection of the idea.”

“Okay,” Watson said. “When I go back, you want me to see if there’s another apartment in the building I’m in while construction takes place?”

“That would work. I do expect to pay my own way, Watson. Don’t get the idea you’ll need to support me and Sally. We’ll both be able to get jobs, I’m sure. And Sally has a trust fund anyway, that would support her. She just likes to keep busy. And I have some money set aside. I’m good for a while, too, even if we don’t get jobs right away.”

“Then that’s the plan,” Watson said.

It was good they finished the important discussion, for the door opened and half a dozen noisy people came in. The crack of pool ball on pool ball began to sound, and the video game machines added more sound to the din. Shortly after that the karaoke performances started and any hope of a serious conversation was over.

Watson found himself enjoying the evening as much as any of those where he’d taken Karri before. It was midnight when they got back to the Karri’s and Watson went over to the Mercedes.

“I think a nice thank you kiss is in order,” Karri said, turning her face up to Watson.

“Thank you,” Watson said sincerely, and kissed Karri for the first time.

“Good-night,” Karri said over her shoulder as she headed for the front door of the house.

Watson got a motel room for the night and headed back to the Ozarks late the next morning, going over his plans in light of the fact that Karri and Sally would both be part of them.

Watson hired not one, but three dirt contractors to begin the big job of digging a vast hole in the highest point on the property. It took some careful work of a powder monkey to break up some bedrock to complete the excavation.

The dirt and rock was stockpiled for later use. A grid of perforated pipe was installed and covered with coarse gravel. The grid drained to a spot lower than the bottom of the excavation. It would keep the building area drained, preventing any tendency of the buildings to leak, over and above the waterproofing they would receive.

With the base layer in, other crews, working on a fee plus performance bonus contract, began to form and pour the foundations of the various building units. Several other contractors were on site, to form rebar for the reinforced concrete structures, to install the five separate septic systems that would serve the complex of buildings, and drill the wells that would be the primary water supply. Several irrigation wells were drilled and pumps installed in the areas that would be crop fields in the future.

A plant nursery was contracted to plant a large orchard. It included nut and fruit trees, bushes, and berry towers. It also included a sizeable vineyard of several varieties of grapes. They were all long term investments that would add little to the homestead for several years. But Watson wanted the installation done now, because he wasn’t sure it would be doable after the cutoff date of November 16, 2011.

Semi truckload sized orders were placed with LTS (Long Term Storage) food suppliers. HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning) units incorporating CBNRE (Chemical, Biological, Nuclear, Radiation, Explosion) filtering with overpressure capability; heat and humidity exchange capability; and multi-fuel capability were ordered.

A whole farm of different types of fuel tanks were ordered, installed, and filled as construction continued. Large batteries used in submarines were delivered and installed in four separate concrete vaults. Four diesel powered generators were purchased and installed in two power rooms and the electrical components installed to tie the commercial power; generator power; and power from solar panels, wind turbines, and small hydro turbines together.

A truck load of three-hundred watt solar panels was ordered and the support structures for them installed near the battery vaults. Only one set of panels would be installed, the rest stored until needed, Watson decided. The risk of EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) damaging installed panels was too high, in his opinion. There was no clear cut answer if they were vulnerable or not, so Watson went the safer route.

Two identical sets of communications gear were ordered and delivered, along with six telescoping fold over towers for the antennas that weren’t ground mounted. One set of radios would be placed in faraday cage storage, as would one set of antennas. All six of the towers were installed, with the working set of antennas on them. The ground mount antennas were installed, along with TV and Internet access dish antennas. Dual sets of cabling were installed in grounded conduit, with one set left unconnected as back up to the first set.

A sophisticated weather monitoring system was also installed, with non-electronic backups. An electronic perimeter security system was incorporated. It was also a natural phenomenon monitor system with seismographs, earth tilt & strain gauges, earth magnetic & gravity anomaly detectors, electrical anomaly detectors, and atmospheric anomaly detectors.

Slowly, it seemed to Watson, the buildings were being constructed. He knew, despite the feeling, that they were ahead of schedule. He’d already paid several early completion bonuses to a couple of the contractors. Watson marked off the days on a calendar he had in the motorhome he’d purchased to be able to be onsite around the clock when things were really hopping.

Karri had been correct. She’d been able to get a job in the area, and Sally found a charity to work with. Watson had helped move Karri and Sally lock, stock, and, barrel, preps included. They took an apartment in the same building Watson was in, putting much of their possessions in storage.

Sally was finally warming up to Watson, and Karri didn’t want to go to the expense of buying a house with the likelihood of being with Watson in his place permanently. Karri spent much of her free time with Watson, working on the project and just getting to know him better.

With the buildings nearing completion, Watson addressed the last area, and probably the most important, for self-sufficiency. The farm portion of the property.

He already knew where the crop fields would be and had irrigation wells and pumps installed. Now Watson went shopping for agricultural equipment. To equip a farm to be as self-sufficient as possible was going to be expensive. But Watson wanted to do it right. The various barns and storage areas he knew he would need were almost finished. Now he needed the working equipment and it wasn’t going to be cheap.

He did catch a break, though, when he went shopping. A local dealer was feeling the economic crunch and had quite a bit of equipment on the lot he really wanted to move. He cut Watson a fantastic deal to take it all off his hands so he could retire early.

There were a few things that Watson really didn’t need or want, but he took the turnkey offer and accepted it all. What he didn’t want he put up for auction and managed to recover a little of his investment.

The rest of the items he had to pay full price for, but overall he was more than pleased. He took Karri and Sally out for dinner to celebrate the delivery of the last items.

Along with the equipment, Watson began buying up stock animals and hiring employees for the homestead and farm. With the economy in the condition it was in, there was no trouble getting applicants.

Karri was a big help with the hiring. She screened everyone for the positions they were applying for and narrowed the field down for Watson to interview.

Finally the day came for the dirt contractors to begin the task of burying the complex of buildings. It would be a much slower process than the digging had been, though much less dirt would be moved.

Great care had to be taken to avoid damaging the waterproofing of the buildings, yet get the soil tamped into place between them and, finally, above them. But the crews were experienced and soon enough were finished with the dirt work. Other than the antenna and sensor towers, the only things breaking the surface of the ground were the walls around the atrium openings that would carry the greenhouse covers when they were delivered.

It wasn’t until November third that those large greenhouse units were delivered. And it was the eleventh by the time they were installed. During that time Watson converted the rest of the money in his various bank accounts to precious metals and some cash.

The various stock animals were delivered, and the employees took up residence and began the process of becoming familiar with the place, with those in charge of the animals getting the animals settled. None were told of Watson’s fears for November 16th. All they knew was that he was an eccentric that wanted to be a gentleman farmer.

The last truckloads of supplies were unloaded and stored in the three caves that had been prepared to receive them.

With the greenhouses in place, Watson took a long two days testing all the systems. There wasn’t time to do more than verify that they worked. It was too late to make any major changes or additions.

Watson got Karri and Sally moved to the homestead on the fourteenth and fifteenth. There were three apartments as part of the main house structure and the two moved into one of them. The rest of their belongings were put into one of the several storage rooms that were part of the house. Karri and Sally had both taken the week off from work to do the move and finalize the details of their new arrangement. They were comfortably ensconced by five in the afternoon on November 15th, 2011

Watson had been watching the news every day for some sign of a possible attack on the US. But things seemed more peaceful than usual. He was up at four in the morning, watching the news when Karri came into his den, still in her pajamas, wrapped in a robe.

She had made coffee in the apartment and carried a large cup with her when she joined Watson on the sofa in the living room of the main house. She sat down beside him, curled her legs up onto the sofa and tucked the robe over them. She was leaning against Watson slightly, so he adjusted his position so she could rest more easily.

“No matter what happens, Watson,” Karri said softly, “I think you’ve done a good job. This place is magnificent. It’ll be here, producing food for people for years, in good times and bad. I plan on being her as long as you’ll have me.”

Karri lifted her head slightly, and Watson kissed her. They’d kissed before, but there was a promise in this one that had not been there in the earlier kisses.

“I want you around forever, Karri,” Watson said after the kiss. “Come good times or bad.”

The two sat comfortably on the sofa as dawn approached, talking about plans for the future. Karri fell asleep just before seven. Watson got up and let her stretch out on the sofa. He threw an afghan that Sally had made over her.

Restless, unable to go back to sleep himself, with the news showing nothing out of the ordinary, Watson went to one of the tall, narrow, vertical windows in the living room that looked out into the atrium of the house.

It was still dark and Watson could see the stars through the greenhouse roof. He shook his head and turned back to the sofa to watch Karri sleep. But she didn’t sleep very long. The entire place began to shake, creating ominous groans from the structure.

Watson had to brace himself against the wall. Karri tried to get up, but wound up on the floor on her hands and knees. Sally came running into the room, literally bouncing off the walls of the hallway. She dropped down beside Karri and the two braced themselves against the shaking.

It went on for what seemed forever. Watson was soon on the floor, his arms over both women, protecting them as well as he could. The groaning and moaning of the buildings finally faded as the shaking slowed and then stopped.

“You two all right?” Watson asked. At their nods, he climbed to his feet and ran over to the front door of the house. Outside he went, and then up the stairs to the surface. He looked around, but couldn’t see anything out of the ordinary. The antenna towers were all retracted and folded over for the eventful day, and had suffered no damage.

He ran back down and into the house. “Nothing outside,” he said. He helped Sally and Karri to their feet and then turned to the television again. The satellite broadcast was still going on, but from the looks of it, they’d felt the shake in the studio, too.

Apparently the entire country had, as well as portions of Canada and Mexico. There was no information from overseas.

“What could shake the entire US?” Karri asked.

“I don’t know,” Watson said. “I have to believe this is related to the terrorist statement, though there are no ‘fires from the sky’. It’s just too big of a coincidence for it not to be related.”

Commercial power had failed and they were on battery power. The intercom system began to buzz with the various employees asking for information on what was happening. Watson called for a meeting for everyone. They would meet in one of the barns.

Watson checked several other news channels. All were saying the same thing. The entire US had been subject to an earthquake of unprecedented extent. Some areas had preliminary reports of well over 8.0 on the scale.

Everyone was assembled, talking quietly among themselves when Watson strode into the barn from one of the short connecting tunnels.

“What’s going on?” asked someone loudly.

Another asked, “Are we safe down here in these caves?”

“Take it easy, everyone,” said Clinton Cantorie. He was the experienced farm manager that Watson had hired to run the farm and ranch aspects of the homestead. “Let the Boss tell us without any interruptions.” Clinton looked over at Watson and nodded.

“Okay,” Watson said. “There have been several serious earthquakes all over the US. That is all I know at the moment. I built this installation to withstand just about anything. You’ll be safe here.

“Now, I want those responsible for the animals to stay with them and keep them calm if there are more shakes. The rest of you, go over your area of responsibility and do an inventory. I want to know if there is anything, anything at all, that we will need for the future.

“I will continue to monitor the situation and let you know of any new developments. Any questions?”

“My family! I need to go see about my family.”

It wasn’t unexpected. Watson had planned for such a request. “I understand. We have room here for quite a few more people. If any of you have family you want to bring out here, get with Mr. Cantorie after I have a chance to talk to him. Clinton?”

Clinton walked over and Watson took him out of earshot of the rest of the group. They were gathered around the door of the office in the barn. It had a television and those that could see it were describing what the news was saying.

“Clinton, I hate to spring this on you, but some of these people have people they care about. I want their best efforts in the future. That will be easier to obtain if their families are safe. Out here. You asked once why there was so much unassigned space. This is why. Can you organize things and see that everyone that has someone in the area they want to bring out here can do so? The full resources of the place are at your disposal.”

Clinton nodded. “I understand. I have a brother… I’d like to bring him out until this is all over…”

“Absolutely. The offer included you. Keep people as calm as you can. I want to go back and try to find out what exactly is going on.”

“Very good,” Clinton said. As he started to turn away to carry out Watson’s instructions, he stopped. “Quite a coincidence that you had this place ready just in time.”

“Not necessarily a coincidence, Clinton. I’ll explain sometime. Just not right now.”

“Understood. I’ll keep you informed.”

As soon as Watson headed for the tunnel, a group surrounded Clinton.

Watson rejoined Karri in the living room. She was dressed and held a fresh cup of coffee in one hand as she watched the TV news.

Watson felt a chill go down his back when reports started to come in from different areas. But there were huge gaps of information. Nothing was coming in from anywhere close to the Mississippi River basin including the entire New Madrid Seismic Zone; Southern California; the Savannah area, The Cascades…

The list of who wasn’t reporting became the priority. Some areas had been hit much harder than others. Then the news reader turned pale. “Yellowstone Caldera, Long Valley Caldera, and Valles Caldera have all erupted with catastrophic results.

“Many of the other volcanoes along the west coast are also erupting. How can this be happening?”

The man was at a loss. He fell silent, the papers in his hands shaking. The station went to a commercial. It was cut short and a new person was behind the news desk. “We are getting additional details. There is tectonic activity all across the US, from the East Coast to the West Coast, Canada to Mexico. The experts are saying this is impossible, but it has happened. No question about it.”

The man looked over to his left, and like his predecessor in the chair, he turned white as a sheet. “Reports now of three incoming missiles targeting Washington, D. C., New York City, and somewhere in the center of the country.” The screen went black before he could say anything else.

Watson checked several other channels. All were blank. “Three missiles…” Watson said. “New York and DC I can see, but the middle of the country…”

“A HEMP (High altitude ElectroMagnetic Pulse) weapon. To wipe out the electrical and electronic infrastructure that the earthquakes and volcanoes don’t.” Karri looked scared. Sally was huddled next to her side, head down, shivering.

“Let me get Sally back to bed,” Karri suddenly said. “Come, Sally. Let’s get you back to bed. Things will be better when you get up.”

Watson paced and thought about the situation until Karri came back. “I gave her something to keep her calm and help her sleep. She’ll be all right later, when things are more stable.”

Watson nodded. “The HEMP?” he immediately asked. “You think the missile for middle of the country is… or was… a HEMP?”

“I think so,” Karri said. “From what you said the terrorists said there would be fires of death. Probably the nukes, but also could be the super volcanoes. Lava…”

Watson nodded. The idea jived with what he’d learned. “But how did they do the earthquakes? They were before the nukes. They haven’t even hit yet.”

“I don’t know, Watson. I don’t know.” She stood next to him and both looked up through one of the windows, through the greenhouse and to the sky. The sky was getting lighter and was clear. At the moment.

“I’m afraid to try any of the radios for fear of the EMP,” Watson said.

“One of the windups. Not risking much. I have a couple in my gear. I’ll go get one.”

Watson waited at the door for Karri. She came back moments later with a green windup combination radio and flashlight. She followed him outside and up to the ground level. Karri cranked the radio for a minute and then pulled out the telescoping antenna and began to tune across the various frequency bands.

Mostly there was noise. Only occasionally did she hear a voice, but they were all foreign language. She finally gave up when all she could hear was static, no matter what frequency she tried. Even the weather band local frequency was just white noise.

They waved as a convoy left one of the garages and headed down the access road.

Without radio or TV, nor cell phone or land line communication available, all Watson and Karri could do was wait. At least for a while. Watson got to thinking about what would happen now. He was all set up to be very self-sufficient. But how long would that really need to be now?

Though he’d checked things during the two days before the earthquake and attack, Watson began going through all of the buildings again. He’d told the employees they and their families would be safe here. He wanted to double check everything and make sure he’d told the truth.

It was a very long five hours before Watson saw the convoy returning. It was a much longer one than the one that had left. He went to meet them at the entrance down to garage from which they’d left.

Clinton was in the lead. He pulled to one side and stopped. The vehicles behind him stopped as well.

“Watson,” Clinton said when he got out of the pickup truck. “Some of the roads and bridges are in bad shape from the quakes. Good thing we went when we did, if there are aftershocks.”

Watson noticed that the bed was loaded to overflowing as Clinton continued. “We heard on the radio before we left that the three big calderas here in the US blew. And there were nukes in the air.

“All of our vehicles are running all right, but a lot of the family vehicles wouldn’t run. We towed those that wouldn’t. Any other word? The radios aren’t working.”

Copyright 2010

Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    “I know,” Watson replied, looking over at the convoy. People were getting out of the vehicles and milling around. He noticed the straps and in two cases, heavy chains, connecting each of the homestead’s vehicles to the one behind it.

“Had to be a HEMP that got the vehicles and knocked out radio reception. And yes, the calderas were triggered somehow, along with the other earthquakes. I only heard about the three nukes. The HEMP and one headed for DC and the other to New York.

“Now, let’s get everyone inside in case of something else happening. I’m leaving it to you to keep order and make sure everyone is accommodated. Stash the vehicles that won’t run somewhere out of the way. No need to clutter the garage with them.”

“Of course. I’ll see to it.” Clinton turned to face the group and began issuing quiet orders that the employees hurried to carry out.

“I think we got a good one in Clinton,” Karri told Watson when he rejoined her.

“I think so. Anything else on the radio?”

Karri shook her head. “It’s eerie. Just the static now, on all the bands except the VHF and above frequencies. They are quiet though. No transmissions, but no static either. Just silence.”

“Okay. If you’ll keep a radio watch for a while, I want to check on the animals. And see how the influx of family members is coming.”

“That was a good thing you did, Watson. Making arrangements for families. It could be all the difference in the world if this is as bad as I think it will be,” Karri said. She gave him a quick kiss and added, “I want to check on Sally. You go do what you need to and I’ll tend to the home fires.”

“Thanks,” Watson said. Only a fraction of a second later he told her, “I love you.” He kissed her and she kissed back. But both knew Watson was needed elsewhere, and stopped.

“I love you, too,” Karri said as Watson headed for the atrium the living room of the house faced. Of the several other underground buildings that opened up to it, Watson headed for the Number One power control house. He wanted to check the status of the batteries, generators, and electrical components.

Everything was operating as it should. It would be some time before one of the generators would kick in to recharge the battery bank they were drawing power from at the moment. Watson moved on and joined Clinton in unloading the pickup truck of his brother’s belongings.

“We’ll just store much of what was brought out, Watson. It got a little out of hand. Some people brought totally useless things.”

“It’s okay, Clinton. I expected as much. I wouldn’t have known what to bring myself a year ago.”

Clinton pointed with his chin toward a family unloading a Suburban and tandem wheel trailer. “I’m thinking they are much like you. They have food, water, a bunch of tools… It’s Willow’s family. I think they were prepared for this like you were. Only came out here because it’s better than their own house.”

Watson looked over. He noted some of the boxes they were carrying from the trailer to one of the residential buildings were from one of the same companies he bought supplies from. He met the eyes of the one obviously in charge of the family group. The man nodded slightly, and Watson nodded back, both understanding the other to be a prepper of the first order.

Watson, as he made the rounds greeting everyone, recognized several more people by their actions and what they’d brought with them as Preppers. Nothing was said specifically about it, but Watson had a feeling that it would be these people that turned out being the core of the group. The ones that would weigh decisions before taking actions. But once the decision was made, would act quickly and surely.

Watson made no comments about the variety of weapons he saw being carried into the housing units. Mostly hunting guns, but some of those he’d identified as preppers were much more heavily armed.

Watson had obtained a regular armory of weapons, following Karri’s advice and what he’d learned on the internet. He might have over bought. The thought crossed his mind when he saw the numbers of guns. But it was a fleeting thought. A person might have more guns than needed for any given instance, but there were many possibilities out in the open world that would only be resolved with a gun. The more people on the homestead that had and could use firearms the less likely they would need to actually be used.

Everyone was settled in by dark. There was still no news. No radio; TV; or phone, cellular or land line.

When morning rolled around, it was much the same. With one exception. There was a haze, high in the sky that dimmed the sunshine somewhat. After the employees that had brought family in took care of them and got breakfast out of the way, they met again in the barn.

“We still know nothing more than those last words in the TV broadcast. The missiles, probably nukes, one of which was undoubtedly one made especially to knock out radios and electrical equipment, the one for New York City, and the one for DC… Without evidence otherwise, I think we need to consider them both destroyed.” There were murmurs from the group.

“Those things are minor… at least in regards to us. But if the reports of three super volcanoes erupting west of us are true, then we will have much to deal with in a couple of days. There will be an ash fall of huge proportions. We are equipped to deal with it here. We’ll all be all right if everyone cooperates and pitches in wherever they can, whether employee or family member.”

Someone in the back of the group asked loudly, “Will they get paid? Will we get paid?”

Clinton looked to see who it was, with his annoyance at the questions evident. Others were shushing the speaker.

Watson raised his hand and everyone fell silent. “For the moment, everyone will be taken care of, at the expense of the homestead. After a few days to see what everyone wants to do, we can discuss wages versus work and accommodations. I’m sure we’ll come to an equitable decision, dependant on the level of the disaster. For the moment, I’d like to meet with volunteers from the families willing to help me with some projects while you take care of regular business. Talk to your families and ask them if one would be willing to offer up some immediate help to get some critical jobs done.”

“What kind of jobs?” asked another of the employees.

“Ones where they will probably get dirty, tired, aggravated, and disgusted. I’d rather not go into it further than that,” Watson said.

“Not likely my family will volunteer,” laughed the one that asked the question. Watson was sure that Clinton was taking a mental note of who it was.

“That’s all for now. Show your families around. I’m sure you’ll respect the privacy of the main house and steer everyone away from it. And send anyone that wants to volunteer to the homestead office. That’s it.”

The group broke up into smaller groups, with several people going off alone. “What’s up, Watson?” asked Clinton as they walked toward the building that housed the official offices of the farm and ranch operation. “Something I can help with?”

Watson smiled and shook his head. “No. Not really. I just want to see how many people willing to help going into a blind situation. I may be the Boss here, and de-facto leader, but I want some people helping me get things done. I’m already counting on you. I want to see what the Families have to offer.”

“You sly dog, you,” Clinton said. “Well, when you need me, I’ll be available. I’ll leave you to your selection process.”

Watson didn’t have very long in the homestead offices by himself. Seven people showed up, three in a group and four individuals. Watson smiled. Every one of them was one of those he’d picked up on being preppers.

“Let’s give it a couple more minutes,” Watson said. “Help yourself to coffee, if you want. There’s a pot over there.”

A couple of people headed that way, but the rest just stood around the front desk, talking quietly. After a couple of minutes one of them said, “I don’t think you’ll get any more. Let us know what you need done and we’ll get it over with. All my boy said was it’ll be dirty, disgusting, tiring work. The sooner I can do it and get a shower, the better.”

A couple of others chuckled and Watson smiled.

“It’s probably not quite what you are expecting. Mostly I’m looking for advisors I can trust to help me keep this place going when things get worse. I figure if you’re willing to volunteer for a dirty job, you have what it takes.”

They looked around at each other, and then back at Watson. “This will be an ongoing thing. I’d like to be able to call on each of you whenever I need some advice. I’m new to prepping and while this place is mine, and I intend to stay in charge of it, I could use some help deciding the best course of action at times. And I’ll need people I can trust to carry out some tasks I don’t think I should ask my employees to do.

“Like right now. If the reports of the volcanoes erupting are true, and from the looks of the sky this morning, I think they are, I would like to take what time we have before ash begins to fall to buy up some additional supplies that might be difficult to get to later.”

“We going salvaging?” asked one of the men.

“No. Not yet,” Watson quickly said. “I’ll be paying for everything we want up front. There will probably be a time when we do salvage abandoned items, but that isn’t the case now. I want to get things now that might not survive the ash fall and immediate aftermath.”

There were some nods and a couple of soft, ‘Good ideas.’

“Any of you uncomfortable with this can back out of your volunteering with no hard feelings.”

“I’m in,” said one man. A woman was next, and then the second woman. The other four men indicated the same thing, one after another.

“Okay, then,” Watson said. “let me get a list together. You can divide up into teams and pick the items you want to go after.”

The man that usually spoke first spoke up again. He was the man that had exchanged nods with Watson when they were moving in. “Carlyl Gossin. I work better alone. Since there are seven of us, I don’t mind working on something that just needs one person.”

“Well, I was going team up with someone, but I can do what I want done by myself, too. That’ll give us five chances to get everything done, instead of four. If you’re sure you want to risk going by yourself, I’m okay with it.”

“I am. What’s my objective?”

Watson smiled at Carlyl’s use of the word ‘objective’. He sounded like he was on a military campaign. Watson wasn’t sure that it might not be correct. “Let me get the others going and I’ll get with you on what I’d like you to do.”

Carlyl nodded and moved over to get a cup of coffee, away from the other six.

“Okay,” Watson said, taking a seat at the front desk and pulling a scratch pad forward. He took a pen from his pocket and began to write. There were several related items on each list. He turned them around and let the six look them over.

One of the women looked at the other and picked up one of the pieces of paper. “You game?”

“I’m with you, Sissy.” She turned to Watson and said, “I’m Gilda Ramos and this is Sissy Walkenberg. We know each other and can take care of this. But… I’m not sure I have enough money to purchase…”

“I’ll be providing the funds,” Watson said. “As soon as we see who gets the other two lists.

“We’ll take what you guys don’t want,” said another of the men that was usually right behind Carlyl in speaking up. “Howard Moss. And this is my brother Hoss. My girl hired on here as an animal handler.”

“Ah,” Watson said. “She was one of our first picks.” He looked at the other two men.

“Mikail Long,” said one. He picked up one of the pieces of paper. “Okay with you, Slim?”

“Sure ‘nough.” He looked at Watson. “Slim Pickens, just like the actor. Me and Mikail go back a long ways. We’ll take care of getting more stock feed.”

“Okay,” Watson said as Howard picked up the other piece of paper. “I’ll get the money.”

“Holy Moly!” Exclaimed Gilda when Watson disappeared for a few minutes and then returned carrying a bank bag, and an unmarked cloth bag. The bank bag looked quite full. “You rob a bank?”

“Nope,” Watson said, placing the bags on the desk. One of them clanked. “Just cleaned out my bank accounts.” He began taking out packets of one-hundred-dollar bills. When he had five equal piles he opened the other cloth bag and counted out five stacks of bright, shiny American One Ounce Gold Eagles. Watson heard several people drawn in deep breaths.

“You’re trusting us with this?” asked Gilda.

“I’m trusting you to try and provide for your families the best way you can. I trust you to use the cash and gold wisely. The gold only when someone won’t take cash. I suspect all of you have some idea the worth of the gold.”

All seven people smiled. “Okay. Grab your piles and see Mr. Cantorie about appropriate transportation. All but Carlyl took their piles of cash and gold and left. Carlyl drained his cup of coffee and walked over to the desk. “What do you have for me, Boss?”

“I’m assuming you are comfortable around guns…” Watson said.

Carlyl nodded and swept back the light jacket he wore. He had a holstered handgun on his hip. “I take it you want me to make the rounds and gather up anything and everything I can find. So we have it and not the bad guys that are sure to show up.”

“Exactly,” Watson replied.

“Consider it done,” Carlyl said. He picked up the cash and the coins and put them in his jacket pockets. “See you before the ash gets too bad.”

Watson nodded and Carlyl left. Watson put the last stack of cash and the coins into the cloth bag and headed to the house to talk to Karri.

“Are you sure you need to do this?” Karri asked, her worry evident on her face.

“I am. I may be gone for two days. But I’ll be back, safe and sound, before the ash makes travel impossible. Keep the home fires burning.”

After a long kiss, Karri released Watson from the tight hug she was giving him. “You be careful, Watson. I’m not ready to lose you yet.”

“Count on it,” Watson said. And then he was gone.

True Terror - Chapter 3

Watson was the last one back. Karri was waiting for him in the greenhouse over the main house atrium. She watched as he drove the G55 AMG down the ramp into the garage. She hurried down to greet him.

“You’re back! I was getting worried.”

Watson looked tired. “Sorry. I tried the radios a few times, but they just aren’t getting through.”

“Are you all right?”

“Just tired. It is a nightmare out there. Didn’t get much sleep. Given the chance, people would have killed me and taken the Mercedes. Everyone seemed to want to be someplace else. All assumed it was better elsewhere than where they were. There just isn’t any information flow, except word of mouth. The only consistent thing I heard was that a tsunami clobbered the east coast not long after the earthquakes. Got that from several different people.”

“La Palma,” Karri said softly. “I bet they triggered La Palma, too.”

“La Plama… Oh. I remember reading about it. Canary Islands. Big volcano that could drop a whole mountain into the Atlantic.”

“That’s the one,” Karri said.

“I should go check on the others. See if they had any trouble like I did. I saw some trucks parked out of the way.”

“Don’t take too long. You need a good meal and some sleep,” Karri told him.

Watson nodded, but turned toward the atrium. Clinton and those that had gone out to retrieve the list of items that Watson had come up with were in the homestead office.

“Figured you’d be down to see how things went,” Clinton said.

Watson nodded and looked over at Gilda and Sissy. It was Gilda that spoke up. “We made a big circle of the area. Came up with enough sewing things to go for years. Sewing machines, sergers, leather and upholstery machines. Hundreds of needles for the machines and for hand sewing. Every spool of thread we could find. Notions galore, and fabric. All types of fabric. Blue jeans to wedding dress stuff. And all the leather we could find. And the patterns and material to make the things the women will need.

“Some of it didn’t cost much. Some did. Got about half the cash and two thirds of the gold here. Gilda set a paper bag on the desk.

“Sounds good,” Watson said. When he looked over at Slim and Mikail, Slim spoke for the pair.

“Did real good, there, Boss Man. Probably saw the trucks. Picked up seventeen trucks of various sizes, mostly semis, some with double or triple trailers. Good hay, some straw. Several grains. Premixed COB (Corn, Oats, Barley) horse feed. Rabbit and chicken feed and supplements. Got a few more prime animals to increase the herds.

“Couldn’t get as many medications as we wanted. Just wouldn’t sell them to us in bulk, even for gold. Afraid of repercussions. Everything in box trailers or covered with tarps.” Slim looked over at Clinton after placing a cloth bag on the desk. It, like the one Glenda had put there, clinked.

“I okayed the addition of two people,” Clinton said. “They’re good hands. Will be an asset.”

Watson nodded and looked Howard and Hoss Moss. Hoss just watched without expression as Howard explained their trek.

“Got a little dicey when we started offering cash for whole tanker loads of fuel. Price went sky high almost immediately. Drivers were fighting for the chance to get paid for their loads. We bought all we could get for cash, and then started offering gold. Got a couple more double truckloads and three of propane.

“Couldn’t get any of the truck stops to give up anything already in the tanks. But we’ve got the ones spotted that have generators. Push comes to shove, in the next few weeks, some of those people will be selling a hundred gallons for a ham ‘samich. Sorry. Nothing to give back. We bought everything we could until the money ran out.”

“Okay. All of you did great,” Watson said. His eyes, along with the rest of the group, went to Carlyl.

“Good run,” Carlyl said. “Money talks, especially gold. Only a few hold outs, and like Slim said, they’ll be offering up their goods for food pretty quick. Had some time so I picked up a few other things. Brought in a couple people, too.”

The others didn’t ask what Carlyl had been after, and neither Carlyl or Watson offered up an explanation. Clinton had helped Carlyl unload his truck and trailer and knew, including okaying the two people Carlyl had brought with him. He’d brief Watson after the meeting if Carlyl didn’t.”

“How’d it go with you, Boss?” Asked Gilda.

“Not as well as you all,” Watson said. “Had some trouble. But I managed to hit every Marina in the area and bought up almost all the Pri-G and Pri-D available. Cost a pretty penny, but like some of you said, clerks and drivers were thankful to get anything in hand for any of the goods under their control.”

All the others suspected there was a great deal more to the story than Watson mentioned. But he was the Boss. It was his prerogative.

“Good job, everyone. I hope I can count on you for help again when it is needed.” All but Carlyl and Clinton murmured their agreement and left en-mass. Carlyl waited until the doors had closed before he turned to Watson. Watson was sitting behind the desk and Carlyl leaned against the desk next to it.

“I take it there’s more to the story…” Watson said.

“Yeah,” Carlyl said with a nod. “I took it upon myself to branch out some from the list you gave me. Did get plenty of reloading supplies and ammunition, plus more guns than I expected. Some from sources I wasn’t considering. But they offered up and I took advantage of the offer. Some State and County law enforcement and emergency personnel now have the means to hopefully take care of themselves without resorting to misdeeds, if you get my drift.

“But the weaponry was the minor issue. Didn’t know how well stocked you were on medical supplies… So I did a little more wheeling and dealing and got everything I could that I thought we might need, plus some other things. I plan to keep a few things that I acquired on my own.

“Only have a little gold left. No cash.” Carlyl took a wallet out of his jacket pocket and removed a stack of bills. He handed it to Watson. “You want to check out my tally sheet to see what you paid for what, and what I got for myself?”

“Do I need to?” Watson asked, watching Carlyl’s face closely.

A small smile curled Carlyl’s lip just a little. “Nope. But take it anyway. Might want it just for the inventory. You might be surprised at some of the things I managed to get my hands on. And there will be more after the die-off takes place. When it does, I plan on mining the area again for things I couldn’t buy.”

Watson nodded. “We’ll discuss salvage runs at some point. I’m inclined to put you in charge of that.”

“Be glad to. But as with most things, I’d like to get a percentage.”

Clinton looked a little uncomfortable with Carlyl’s last statement, but Watson just laughed. “Of course. Now. The new people?”

“Dillion and Lee Rhys. Brothers. Real young. Ran a hay operation they inherited from the family when a car wreck took them a year ago. They’re good boys. Will be a real asset. Each one has some Ag College time and know their stuff, not just hay.” Clinton looked over at Carlyl after telling Watson about the two people Slim and Mikail had recruited.

“About the two I brought in…” Carlyl shook his head. “I’m sleeping on the couch at the moment, for bringing them in. But I think they will be worth the aggravation, if the wives and girlfriends don’t send them out on a rail.”

Watson’s head had tilted slightly as he looked at Carlyl. His eyebrows lifted.

Carlyl lifted a handheld radio to his lips and said something. Almost immediately two women walked into the office, one of them with a radio identical to Carlyl’s in her hand. Watson saw immediately why Carlyl might think they could be an aggravation. Obviously sisters, both were beautiful. And both knew it, and didn’t mind showing it off.

Nothing overt, Watson saw, just the wearing of clothing to compliment their looks to the utmost. Watson looked over at Carlyl when he spoke again. “They’re your problem now.” Carlyl took the handheld from the one woman and left the office.

“I think Carlyl has the right idea,” Clinton said. “I have no intention on sleeping on the couch.”

“So,” said the sister with slightly longer hair. “You’re the big cheese. Heard about this place from one of the guys. Real haven, come the Apocalypse. I’m Gypsy. And this is Rose. Noquisi.” She held out her hand and Watson shook it. “Nice to meet you.”

“Watson Drake,” Watson said.

Watson shook Gypsy’s hand and then Rose’s. Rose said, “Don’t blame Carlyl too much. We were on our way out here, anyway. We sort of forced ourselves on him to bring us in to the fold.”

“How do you know Carlyl?” Watson asked. It was hard to look at them, they were so beautiful. As if a look could shatter the image.

“Didn’t,” said Gypsy. “Not until we stopped him on the road on his way back here from where he’d been buying up guns.”

“His wife saw us get out of the truck. She wasn’t too happy. But we’re harmless, Mr. Drake. Really.” Rose looked as innocent as she could.

“We’re not after anyone’s husband or boyfriend,” Gypsy added, also trying her best to look innocent.

“But given the opportunity to snag someone unattached…”

“Well…” Gypsy said.

“About that,” Rose said when Gypsy didn’t continue. “You can’t really blame a woman for trying, now can you? People are meant to be paired up.”

“I won’t argue it with you, because you are probably right. Definitely right when it comes to me.”

The two women exchanged a glance. “Okay. You win,” Rose told Gypsy.

When Watson looked inquiringly at them Gypsy explained. “We had a little bet. I said you’d make it clear you were off limits right off the bat. Rose here thought you might take a little time getting around to the fact.”

“I see. What am I going to do with the two of you?”

“Put us where we can do the most good,” Gypsy said.

Watson could see she was serious. “And where would that be?” he asked.

“Medical facility,” Rose said. “You ready to be embarrassed?”

Again Watson had an inquisitive look on his face.

“We’re both doctors,” Rose said. “I’m OBGYN, and Gypsy is Pediatrics.”

Rose looked over at her sister and said, “He’s not as surprised as I thought he would be.”

“Me, either,” Gypsy said. She looked back at Watson. “Not too many ever suspect we’re both doctors. And over thirty.

“You can’t hide competence under a beautiful face. It shows through. As for the thirty… Well… never mind.”

Rose and Gypsy looked at one another again. And both looked back at Watson and frowned slightly.

“Never mind what?” asked Gypsy before Rose could.

“Just never mind.” Watson stood up and said, “Let’s go get you settled in at the infirmary. I take it you brought some equipment and supplies with you?”

“He’s pretty good,” Rose told Gypsy. Then, to Watson, “How’d you guess that?”

“Same competence you try hard to hide. You figured out what the situation was, that it was most likely long term, knew a good place to go, and would want a good bargaining chip to ease your way in, without reverting to activities neither of you are willing to do.”

“Yep,” Gypsy told her sister. “He is good.” She took a step forward to speak to Watson. “There’s a U-Haul truck and trailer stalled out in the trees alongside the road out here. Both are loaded with some things I don’t think you would have been able to obtain before all this happened, no matter how much money you have.”

“I see. Well, consider yourselves to be employees. We can discuss compensation later. You will have what you need to take care of yourselves. Start anything, and I’ll let my girlfriend deal with you.”

“Wow!” Rose said with a laugh. “Bring out the big guns right off the bat.”

Watson opened a door off the tunnel corridor. “I don’t play games. You both already know how serious this situation is, or you wouldn’t be out here. Now, this is Dr. Dorothea Lindy. She’s your boss.”

Both women stopped short as soon as they were inside. Their mouths dropped open. “They’re all yours, Thea. Show them the ropes. After I decide where to keep them, I’ll be around to show them to their new quarters.”

“Sure, Watson. Hello Ladies.”

Rose closed her mouth first, and managed to speak. “Dr. Lindy.” She held out her hand while Gypsy was still staring at the six foot tall, slender, perfectly proportioned woman standing before her. Gypsy and Rose knew they were beautiful. Thea Lindy was stunning.

“Ouch,” Gypsy said finally.

Thea smiled and shook her hand when Gypsy held it out. “Welcome to the team.”

Watson waited until he was out of earshot before he burst into laughter. “I think that probably just solved that problem,” he said softly as he headed to the house, Karri, and some supper.

The teams had cut it close. Everyone but Watson had first gone west on their treks, and then turned east, finally coming back to the homestead. Watson had reversed that, going east first. He realized his mistake when he ran into light ash fall just before turned back west to get home.

The day after he arrived, the heavy ash fall began. A bit of very fine ash had come down ahead of the main cloud. But this was the main body. There was no longer any doubt about the seriousness of the situation. From just before ten in the morning when the skies grew dark, right after the Noquisi sister’s U-Haul truck and trailer were retrieved, until shortly after ten that night when Watson went to bed, a foot of ash had already accumulated.

After he got up the next morning, showered, and had breakfast, Watson checked again. Four feet and still dark as night with more coming down. He activated the greenhouse wash down system to flush the accumulated ash away before it could get too packed to handle that way. Pipes would take the ash slurry to a point on the property where it could spread out while wet and continue to accumulate without causing any damage.

The temperature had dropped during the night and was still going down as the ash fall continued. Watson called for a meeting of everyone in the now regular meeting hall. It was one of the still unused barns built in anticipation of future expansion.

“As you are all well aware by now, we are in the midst of heavy ash fall from volcano and caldera eruptions to our west. There is no way to tell just how long the ash will fall, or how deep it will get.

Copyright 2010

Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    “We’re safe here on the homestead as long as we remain calm and don’t let in any more of the ash than we can avoid. If there is some need to go outside, we have the clothing and breathing gear to do so, but it will only be for emergency actions.

“Keep all openings to the surface closed, and keep an eye on the greenhouses. If they show any signs of stress at all, a team will go out and shovel them clear.”

“Is the ash poisonous?” someone called out.

“Let’s just say you don’t want to be breathing it, or getting it on the skin for very long. We have the best air filter system I could find installed, with triple redundant backups.”

“When will the sun come out again?” This came from one of the children.

“I don’t know,” Watson said truthfully. “I really don’t know. We won’t until it clears. That could be days, weeks, or months.”

“We’ll starve!” a woman screamed.

Thea was by her side in moments, talking to her and keeping the others calm so Watson could continue.

“We’re not going to starve. We have food reserves for a long time, and will plant and grow crops when the ash stops and we can clear the fields. As long as everyone does their part and cooperates, we’ll all be fine.”

People were looking around at one another. Except one group. Watson saw all the prepping families standing together, Carlyl prominently in the front. Their eyes were still on Watson.

“All that being said,” Watson continued, “we don’t know how long it will be before we can grow crops. Because of that, I urge everyone to conserve food as much as they can. Those with active jobs will require more than those that are more sedentary. I’m trusting each of you and your families to know and understand the difference and plan meals accordingly.

“One more thing,” Watson said. “It is going to get cold outside. How cold, I don’t know. But being underground we will have no trouble staying warm. But don’t be surprised if you see some heavy snow mixed in with the ash as winter progresses.”

Those days that turned into weeks that turned into months, and finally became two years were hard on everyone. Sally had it especially hard at first. But her first visit to the stables with Karri and she was a different person, almost. There was instant rapport with the horses, from the high spirited Barbs that were primarily riding horses, to the sleek Morgan carriage horses, to the massive lumbering Clydesdales that would do the heavy work in the Post Apocalypse World when fuel was short.

She began to spend much of her day with the horses, learning about them from Melody Gossin, Carlyl’s daughter that was one of the trainers and handlers for the horses. They were exercised every day, with the younger horses getting some training, too.

With enough power for some grow lights, some fresh food variety was available to all during the time. And a stock animal was butchered every other month, as the herds were allowed to continue to grow until there was no room left. So fresh meat was also available.

For the grazing stock, the fresh alfalfa fodder conveyors that had been custom built for Watson stretched out the stored hay, and gave the cattle and horses fresh grass sprouts in their diet.

There were births during those two years, and deaths. Watson had early on made arrangements to deal with both situations, so neither was a problem. The deaths were from natural causes and the births were uncomplicated. There were a couple of semi-official divorces and three weddings, including Watson’s and Karri’s.

The dreary black days of very little sunshine getting through the constantly falling ash finally began to be interspersed with the occasional brighter day. Still some ash fall, but much lighter.

Even with the sun showing, the temperatures remained cold all the way into July and August, when the winter began again, with no real fall, as there had been no spring for those two years.

With the ash mixed with snow, frozen hard, except around the greenhouses, Watson was able to take a team out wearing protective gear to do a preliminary cleanup around the property where the buildings were underground.

Occasionally one of the heavy bulldozers would bog down in the ash, but was never stuck for long, as Watson had doubled and tripled up on much of the working equipment for the homestead. Even with the equipment, it took days to clear the eight foot depth of frozen ash from around the greenhouses over the atriums.

There were a couple of setbacks when fresh, heavy ash falls covered the ground again, but with no snow mixed in with it, therefore no ice, it was cleared quickly. A day finally came that was both warm enough and ash free enough, to let those that wanted outside for a while to do so. All had to wear the washable cloth dust masks that Watson had stocked. And it was patently obvious that they were a good idea when those that had gone out went back in and took them off.

The masks had captured the fine ash, almost invisible, in the cloth. It turned the wash water dark gray when the masks were washed. And more than one person had to strip down to shower away the fine ash that got into their clothes. Like the masks, the wash water for the clothing was gray.

The animals were allowed to go out, and even allowed to graze or root in the dead grass in one area that had been carefully washed down to eliminate the chance of the animals from breathing in any ash from the ground. Each animal’s time was limited, to prevent the inhalation of the nearly invisible fine ash that was still in the air, despite the cloth masks that had been fashioned for the larger, breeding and working stock, and the homestead’s dogs.

But all seemed to enjoy the time and resisted being herded back down into the open areas under the greenhouses in the animal barns, much less inside the barns, no matter how brightly lighted.

Those first few days were enjoyed tremendously. As the days progressed without any more heavy ash, the crop fields were prepared for planting, hopefully the next year, if it was warm enough. Watson was out, with mask, goggles, and gloves on, monitoring the operation when his handheld radio beeped. They were able to use their short range radios outside for some time. And now, apparently, the long range radios were again able to punch a signal through the atmosphere without the ash caused ionization.

“Watson! Watson! It’s Karri! We have some people on the radio! There are other survivors!”

“I’ll be right there,” Watson said and headed back to the complex of underground buildings. He wasn’t really needed at the fields. Clinton had everything well in hand, anyway.

“It’s a guy named Arbuckle. Elijah Arbuckle,” Karri said, getting up from the radio console desk chair. She’d been spending all of her free time covering the radio watch to allow others to do the myriad tasks that seemed to come up all the time.

“Hello. This is Watson Drake.”

“Hello Drake. Elijah Arbuckle. It’s good to hear other voices. Your place is the first contact I’ve been able to make.”

“Same here, Elijah. Radio communication is coming back as the skies clear. We should be able to make other contacts as people realize they can talk again.”

“That’s good to know. You think there are others?”

“Break!” came a woman’s voice.

“Go ahead, Breaker,” Watson said, looking over at Karri and smiling.

“I’m Haley Lawrence. There are about fifty of us. We’re Middle Tennessee. Where are you guys?”

“Hello, Haley,” Elijah replied. “Were almost a hundred people. Eastern Iowa. How much ash did you get? We didn’t get much.”

“Just a dusting,” Haley said. “How about you, Watson?”

“About twelve feet, compacted down to eight when we cleared it out.”

“Twelve feet! How’d you survive?”

“We’re in an earth sheltered homestead. Almost everything is underground.”

“But food… It’s been two years!” Elijah sounded alarmed.

“We were well prepared,” Watson said, suddenly wondering who else might be listening. “Things are tight, but we’re making it.”

“Break,” came yet another voice, this one male.

“Go ahead, Breaker,” Watson said again.

“Marty Lirit. Reno. ‘bout a thousand of us. Doing okay, but we missed the worst of it. Bad earthquake. The worst thing is the raiders. We have a lot of them out here. You guys getting any raids?”

Haley answered first. “No. It’s been pretty quiet here. People are too busy scratching out a living to go raiding.”

“Same here,” Elijah said. “We had some incidents right at first, but nothing for over a year now.”

“We haven’t had any problems at all,” Watson said. “But we’re in the middle of an ash desert. It’s really hard to travel any distance yet. Has anyone seen any evidence of a government still in action?”

There was a round of ‘no’s’ and Watson spoke again. “Anyone else out there on this frequency?”

There was silence for a while, and then Elijah spoke again. “I need to get off. We’re on batteries here and need to recharge. Same time tomorrow?”

“I’ll be here,” Haley responded.

“We will, too,” said Marty.

“Okay. It’s a schedule. We’ll monitor this frequency while we search the other bands for more contacts. Watson out.”

“Haley out.”

“Elijah out.”

“Marty out.”

Karri was beside herself. As soon as Watson was off the radio she had him in a hard hug. “Other survivors! This is the best news in a long time!”

“Yes. I’m going to go let everyone know we aren’t alone,” Watson said after he kissed Karri and pried himself loose from her grip.

Everyone was excited. Some immediately wanted to leave the homestead for the areas with more people. Watson was somewhat ambivalent about the idea. It had not occurred to him that people would want to leave as soon as they thought it was possible.

But Watson was not one to keep people from leaving if they wanted. In fact he offered two weeks provisions to anyone that wanted to go. But there were differences of opinion on where to go. At least one wanted to go to each place, with two and four to two of them. It was Carlyl that came up with the solution.

He waited after one of the discussion and asked to speak to Watson alone. “You know, Watson, you’re set up here pretty good. I plan on hanging around, if that is all right. But we discussed salvage operations way back when.

“And the people wanting to leave are going to have a difficult time of it, if they are even successful. Lots of dangers out there.”

“But there haven’t been many reports of bandits for a long time,” protested Watson.

“I know. But things are changing. People are reaching out and making contact. Those with less are going to want more. And the only places they are going to find it is the successful communities, like this one and the ones we’ve heard on the radio. I expect banditry to pick up soon, if it hasn’t already. I suspect there are other communities out there that just haven’t stumbled onto the frequencies we commonly use.”

“What is it you are suggesting?” Watson asked.

“An exploratory trip, to make physical contact with the groups we know, search for other groups, escort those that want to leave to their various destinations, and do some salvage work while we’re out.”

“We’re not too badly set up here…” Watson said.

“It’s cold, Watson. And it is going to stay cold, probably for the rest of our lives. The fields we cleared just aren’t going to produce much. We are going to need to produce more crops than the building greenhouses can provide. We need large, commercial greenhouses. A bunch of them. Just for the warmth. I don’t think we need to worry about grow lights, since we are getting the same amount of sunshine now, as before, during each season. Either that, and keep ourselves fairly isolated for safety, or move, lock stock and barrel to one of the areas further south that didn’t get any ash.”

“We don’t have any idea where we could go, other than the established sites, and I get the impression they don’t want more than a few more people to take care of than they already have.”

“I know,” Carlyl replied. “We need to find out if there are better areas, not just for us, but for anyone that might want to relocate from some of those other areas. They’re all making it, but there are hardships. And I’d like to know about any potential enemies that might be out there, before they decide we are a target.”

“Let me think about his, Carlyl,” Watson said. “I’m not even sure we could mount an expedition. If enough people would want to go, or even how we’d move through the ash in this area that is still clogging up roads and everything else. And there are the bridges that are undoubtedly down… Roads damaged…”

“I know, Watson,” Carlyl said. “I think we can do it. Let me put together a plan, check out a team that might want to go. I’ll check with those that want to leave to see if they are interested in travelling with the group.”

“All right, Carlyl,” Watson said after a long pause. “You plan it out and we’ll see how it plays out.” The two men shook hands and Carlyl left to start on his plan. Watson went back to the house and told Karri about Carlyl’s suggestion.

“I think it is a good idea, Watson. We have it in our power to help quite a few people, as well as improve our own position here.”

“You don’t think we’re safe?”

“Fairly safe, yes. Totally safe… no. And commerce is always important. There are some products that we are going to run out of, eventually, even with the quantities you laid in before this all happened.

“Some are admittedly luxury items, like cocoa, coffee, and tea. Oranges. But the sugar and salt are going to run out. And it is going to be hard to raise enough grains here to provide the kind of diet we’ve had with storage foods, even with greenhouses. Same with bio-diesel. We have the chemicals to last for decades, but no oil crops.

“We can produce a great deal of meat here. All the other places are trying, and have had some success, but I think we’re probably the best equipped to keep everyone supplied with meat beyond the point of just some flavoring.

“Especially if we use some of the greenhouses for additional animal feed, and import grains from those better able to produce them.”

“You make good points,” Watson said. “I’m already inclined to set something up. But Carlyl is probably the best one here to set it up and run it.”

“I can contribute one thing,” Karri said. “The Suburban. I won’t be going, for sure. I’m pregnant, Watson. Just found out today while you were talking to Carlyl.”

“Pregnant! That’s great! Are you okay? Do I need to do something?”

Karri laughed as Watson started to hug her, but stopped, looking down at her stomach. “You’re not going to hurt me with a hug, Watson.” She stepped forward and hugged him. There was a pause, but Watson finally gave her a firm hug back.

“And I have the sisters already giving me advice, including a diet and prenatal vitamins that were part of that cargo they brought with them.”

“You sound like you expect me to go along on the trip.” Watson looked at her questioningly.”

“I assumed you would want to, Watson. It is going to have a major effect on our lives here. I’d like you there, making the best decisions for all of us. You can’t ask Carlyl to speak for the community, though he’s probably capable as anyone here, besides you and Clinton. It just wouldn’t be fair to him to put that kind of responsibility on him. Clinton is capable, with my help, to keep things on an even keel here while you’re gone.”

She smiled and looked up into his eyes. “But I would like you back here in less than nine months.”

“What if there is trouble with the pregnancy? Shouldn’t I be here if there is?” Watson asked, his concern for Karri visible on his face.

“I would like you to be here, yes. But if something was to come up, and it’s not likely, my female ancestors have a history of easy births, there isn’t much you could do. Thea and the sisters are the best. They and I will handle anything that does crop up. Now, I would never complain if you decided to stay, but Watson, I think your responsibility lies out there,” Karri said, motioning with her chin toward the atrium, “ensuring our continued safe existence.”

“Wow. A lot for a guy to think about all at one time.”

“You’ll make the right decision for you, me, and everyone else.” Karri rested her head on Watson’s chest and just held him for a few minutes.

“Well,” Watson said when Karri slipped from his arm. “It might be a moot point. Carlyl might have pretty definite plans about who should go and who should stay and who should be in charge.”

“Carlyl is smart,” Karri said. “He’ll make the same kind of decision you will, after weighing all the factors. Now, I need to go take a nap if I can. Need to get into the habit. No more late nights on the radio for me.”

Watson nodded. He was lost in thought. Karri smiled when he went over to the desk in the living room and pulled up an atlas on the computer screen. She headed for their bedroom to get some of the rest that the sisters had insisted she get every day.

Karri was right about Carlyl when Watson checked with him two days later. He had included Watson as leader of the project as a matter of course. But instead of one trip, Carlyl proposed three. It was just too far for everyone to go to each of the other locations. They would make a direct run to a location, checking on and marking salvage on the way back, rest up a week, and head to the next destination.

The first trip would be to Tennessee to meet with Haley Lawrence. There was only one person that wanted to go in that direction. Once in Tennessee he would head for Florida, through Georgia, to look for family there. Once out of the ash, he thought he could make it on his own with gear he hoped to pick up on the way.

It would be a fairly small convoy going east, though with several people. Carlyl had selected from amongst volunteers a rather eclectic group. Everyone was quite well acquainted with everyone else after two years. With Carlyl’s plan to salvage goods on the way back from Tennessee, he had picked men to go that could handle equipment and trucks. And to keep it simple had not chosen any women for this trip, with the assurance that there would be women along on the next.

So, with Karri’s Suburban pulling the Noquisi sisters’ U-Haul trailer, Carlyl’s Suburban and trailer, two Jeep Wranglers, and two of the homestead’s utility trucks, one with a fuel trailer, 20 people headed east. The lead vehicle was a Unimog U500 Utility truck with a blade mounted on the front to clear the road of ash build up where necessary.

And it was necessary often. Though they were near the edge of the ash fall, it was thick up until it suddenly began to peter out. It took them three days to go those first miles, with more than a little back tracking and going around to by-pass downed bridges or ash accumulations too deep to get through.

They didn’t find much of anything useful, the area having been one of those searched at the very beginning of the disaster. It was on the back roads in southern Missouri, with little to offer salvagers, except farm equipment, of which the homestead had an abundance.

Once out of the main area of ash accumulation, they were able to pick up speed, to the limit of the roads’ surfaces. They had not fared well in the earthquakes or two years of neglect during poor weather conditions.

There were signs of life when the convoy passed through Poplar Bluff, but no one actually showed themselves. Once on the Mississippi flood plain of the Bootheel of Missouri, travelling was almost as bad as it had been through the ash. The earthquakes had rippled the ground, destroying roads and bridges.

There were still huge piles of sand in random locations from huge sand blows that had occurred. Some of them blocked primary routes and had to be circled. Which was difficult, for the ground itself was not fully stable. There had been aftershocks for a year, keeping the soil near the liquefaction point. It took every creative thought Watson and Carlyl could come up with to traverse the area with their equipment intact.

But they managed, until they came to the Mississippi River. After fruitless scouting trips north and south of I-155, trying to find an intact bridge, Watson finally called a halt to the search for a usable bridge. There simply wasn’t one. They would have to find another way to cross the river.

After hours of brainstorming the situation it was finally decided to try and get running one of the abandoned river tugboats tied up here and there on the river. With a lone deck barge connected, they could transfer all the equipment and leave it ready to use on the way back.

While it only took hours of brainstorming, it took three days finding a tug that would run after sitting for over two years. But get one running they did. After securing all the barges to the shore, they went to get the deck barge that had been found while looking for the towboat.

After nearly losing the barge twice, it was finally made secure and the process of moving the equipment started. The lead Unimog had a backhoe mounted on the rear, in addition to the blade on the front. The second Unimog dropped the trailer and used the front mounted loader bucket to move the earth that the backhoe dug up to make a ramp to load the vehicles.

It was a bit tricky on the other side, but they had noted a fairly sharp drop off on the far side of the river downstream from their starting point. Using the bridging ramps carried by the second Unimog, Unimog-1 was able to get ashore. They would need to cross at the same point, so it was decided, once Unimog-1 was ashore to use it to make a ramp to enable the other vehicles to disembark more easily and more safely than using the bridging ramps. They would not have to take the time on the way back to do the same thing.

Once on the higher ground in Tennessee, I-155 was in better shape and they had an easy run in to Dyersburg. Much like Poplar Bluff, Missouri, Dyersburg, Tennessee had signs of life, but no one would come out of hiding.

With the occasional light snow storm dropping a few inches of snow every few days, Watson decided not to delay and try to make contact. Better the convoy continue to a known contact point and get back to the Homestead before full winter set in.

So the convoy simply overnighted on the east side of the small city and left the next morning on Highway 104. They found it a different situation in Trenton. They were met at a roadblock by a half dozen armed men and women.

“Unless you’re bringing in supplies we can use,” said the leader of the six, “you can’t stop. We’ll escort you through town and see you on your way. No hard feelings, but we’re making it, but just barely. Can’t afford to have any resources removed.”

Watson nodded. “Fair enough. We’re not here to cause any trouble. Just looking for trading partners. And information. Any information about what happened, and why, and what we can expect in the future.”

“Good luck finding out. We’re not even sure the sun is coming up in the morning.”

Watson nodded and put the Suburban back in gear, following a small pickup truck when the driver motioned to him. The rest of the convoy fell in line and a few minutes later they passed another roadblock and the pickup pulled aside.

Highway 104 joined Highway 77 and they headed for Milan. It was a ghost town, with no sign of anyone. But when they checked around a little, they found that the town had been gone through with a fine tooth comb. There was nothing to salvage. Or, at least, nothing they wanted.

Picking up US 70 angling northeast in Milan they went through Attwood and then Huntington. Like Milan, there were no people, and the towns had been thoroughly searched. The roads weren’t as bad as in Missouri, but they did have to do some work with Unimog-1 to make it passable. They spent the night just east of Huntington, not wanting to risk that there was someone still around that might take them as an easy target.

They went through several more small towns on US 70, but not until they reached Camden did they see anyone else. There wasn’t really a roadblock, but there was a check point of sorts. Two men simply stepped in front of them when they approached Woods Avenue after crossing US 641 on what was now Main Street.

The two were smiling and greeted Watson and the others warmly. “You’re obviously Drake and entourage. Haley has really been looking forward to your arrival. We’ll guide you to our little slice of heaven here in Post Apocalypse Tennessee.”

The two retrieved dirt bike style motorcycles, fired them up and took off through Camden, leaving Main Street in the middle of town, picking up Highway 191. Finally they were entering a small enclave of houses, trailers, motorhomes, and large tents spread out along Beaverdam Creek.

It had once been a lake, an offshoot of Kentucky Lake. But when the dams went during the earthquakes, the lakes had drained and reverted back to the creeks, streams, and rivers they were before the stint of dam building changed the look of the country.

The area was a scene of much hustle and bustle, with people using horse drawn wagons to haul harvested crops from the nearby golf course turned community garden and firewood from the nearby forested areas. And coal from somewhere.

The woman Watson saw standing on the wide veranda of a modern beach house wasn’t what Watson was expecting. Haley Lawrence wasn’t middle aged and matronly. She was, Watson found out, almost eighty. Trim and fit, tall, with long silvery hair halfway down her back, Haley greeted Watson warmly, with a firm handshake.

“It is good to meet you, Watson.”

“Thank you, Miss Lawrence,” Watson replied.

The woman smiled and said, “Haley. And it was Mrs., not Miss. I lost Bobby years ago. Please come in.”

Watson turned around and directed those with the convoy to take it easy for a while, and motioned Carlyl to accompany him inside. It was marginally warmer inside than out. When Haley took off the long coat she’d worn outside, she slipped into a heavy sweater.

“I keep it cool to conserve fuel,” Haley explained as she led the two men to the living room of the house. “Had to make some changes when I realized that it wasn’t likely for the commercial power to come back home.

“The wood and coal heating stove,” she continued. “Kitchen stove for cooking and heating. Not the most efficient house to convert, but we wanted to keep everyone close and those with small children get the best houses.”

Haley made a motion with her hand to indicate where the men could sit amongst the stacked up boxes, bins, totes, and crates that nearly filled the room. “Just moved everything that might freeze into here and the kitchen. If you gentlemen will excuse me for a moment, I’ll bring some tea. I put it on when the radio watch informed me you were on your way.”

“Not necessary,” Watson said, but Haley waved off his comment.

“Haven’t given up on all the old hospitality rules. I’d offer coffee, but my ration for this month is already gone, I’m ashamed to say.”

Watson and Carlyl had barely time to give the room a good once over when Haley was back with a serving try. She set it on a stack of boxes near where Watson and Carlyl sat on the loveseat that was one of only two regular pieces of furniture in the crowded room.

“Help yourselves,” Haley said, taking a cup and filling it with the aromatic tea from the teapot. “Herbal, I’m afraid,” she said, turning the other piece of furniture around so she could sit down facing Watson and Carlyl. The chair was an overstuffed rocker recliner placed near the fire.

“Herbal is fine,” Watson said, taking and filling a cup to hand to Carlyl. He took a cup himself and sat back down. After a sip of the tea, Watson brought up one of the purposes of their trip. “We’ve brought along one person that plans to continue toward Florida, via Georgia.

“He’ll need to rest up a couple of days and then be on his way. He won’t be a burden on the supplies here. He has the gear he needs and provisions.”

“Florida didn’t fare well,” Haley said. “We had a couple of people come up here from that area. There was some kind of tsunami that wiped out the eastern side of the state, to almost the midpoint.”

“Juan might want to speak to them. Any chance of a meeting?”

Haley looked at the two men sadly. “Afraid not. They died the first winter.”

Watson and Carlyl nodded in sympathy. “We lost a couple, too,” Carlyl said.”

“I don’t see how you managed where you were, with all that ash,” Haley said, pushing the sadness aside with an eagerness to know more.

Carlyl looked over at Watson. “Well, we were lucky to have a small underground complex with enough supplies laid in to keep us going during the worst of it. We’re on this trip to make contact with you and try and work out a trade agreement.”

“To be honest, Watson,” Haley said, looking at him intently. “We don’t have much in the way of surplus to trade. Except coal. Don’t know if it is worth it to you since it would be difficult to get it to you in reasonable quantities.”

“I see,” replied Watson. “Are there any others nearby that might want a trading partner?”

“No,” Haley said, rather sharply, Watson thought.

“Well, we won’t take up much of your time,” Watson said, drawing a glance from Carlyl. “We’ll be on our way. If you hear of anyone that is looking for a source for beef and can provide grain to make biodiesel, please let us know.”

“Of course. I’ll show you out,” Haley said and rose. The two men followed her to the front door of the house. “Good day.”

“Good day, and thank you,” Watson said. He cut a look over at Carlyl as they went down the porch steps. “You get the feeling there is more going on here than meets the eye?”

“I’m beginning to get that feeling, yes.” Carlyl looked around the area as they walked to join the rest of those in the convoy. “And, very suddenly, I don’t feel too good…”

Watson saw his friend stagger slightly, as if drunk. But then he felt the lightness in his head and the sudden sharp pain in his belly. “Get us out of here!” Watson thought he yelled out. But one of the others ran up and asked what was wrong.

“Poison!” Watson managed to say. “We go out ready for anything.” Watson doubled over. Carlyl was in a like position. More members of the group ran up and helped the two men to the vehicles.

It suddenly became obvious that the villagers were slowly surrounding the vehicles. Mark Micalson was the third in command. He was a family man, with several children. Both smart and trustworthy, he’d been asked to take command when Carlyl and Watson were not handy.

He lived up to the trust. In only moments he had two people each helping one of the stricken leaders. A pistol was out and ready for use as the villagers moved closer.

Other members of the convoy were drawing weapons and the villagers stopped where they were. They simply stood where they were, watching as the members of the convoy got Watson and Carlyl back in the vehicles and Mark got the convoy moving quickly out of the village, going back the way they’d come.

Mark saw Daryl Smithson, the man planning on heading for Florida, trying to join the convoy, but the villagers were holding him back. Suddenly, one of the men behind Daryl drew a machete from a leg sheath and ran it across Daryl’s neck. Blood spurted and Mark yelled, “Full speed! Full speed!” He fired a shot into the air. The villagers didn’t move, just stood where they were, watching, Daryl on the ground, his head at an unnatural angle. The drivers of the vehicles had seen the same thing Mark had and wasted no time accelerating to the maximum speed the road would allow.

Copyright 2010

Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    They didn’t even slow down until they were west of Camden once again. Mark called a halt and ordered defensive measures while he checked with Watson and Carlyl. Fortunately, both were still among the land of the living, but were in pain and barely lucid.

But Watson managed to convey that the two of them had been poisoned with some sort of herbal tea. There was little anyone could do, without knowing what poison had been used. Even if they had known, it was unlikely that anything could be done. Watson and Carlyl would live or die, depending on their bodies’ internal defensive mechanisms.

With the two made as comfortable as possible, Mark regrouped the convoy and headed west again, not stopping until they reached the point of their last camp before entering Camden. The tents were set up and a meal was prepared as everyone waited for some news from Mark about Watson and Carlyl.

It was almost five hours before Watson and Carlyl began to stir. Both had to have help to the chemical toilet enclosures. The ones helping had to swallow and step away from the sounds of both men retching.

Both men came out looking pale and still weak. They were helped to a tent and put to bed. Mark had the convoy spend a day at the site, armed guards out at all times. Around noon of the second day Carlyl woke up and asked for water. Shortly after that, Watson did the same. An hour later they were eating some bread and beef broth, ravenously.

“Looks like you two are going to be okay. Think it was a close thing, though,” Mark told the men, sitting up on the cots in one of the sleeping tents.

“Something weird is going on back there,” Carlyl said.

“Yeah,” Watson said and groaned. He stomach was still hurting, but not as bad. He managed to keep the broth and bread down.

“What do we do about it?” Mark asked.

Watson thought for a long time. “Nothing. Not right now, anyway. Just let everyone we meet that it isn’t wise to go to the village on the lake east of Camden. I have my suspicions about what is going on. But no proof. Only that they killed an innocent man for no good reason. Come the day, justice will be served. But we’re not going to do it right now.

“Mark, come daylight, have us on the move back toward home. We’ll pick up what little we found on the way out and take it home. That’s going to be it before winter sets in. I assume you told them what happened?”

Mark nodded. “They are frantic. I’ll let them know you pulled through and will be okay. You will be okay, right?”

Watson looked at Carlyl and Carlyl looked back and nodded. “Yeah. Tell them we’re weak, but on the rebound. We’ll be fine before we get home.”

Mark nodded and left the tent. He didn’t think he was ever going to get off the radio. Both wives wanted to talk to their respective husband, but Mark stubbornly refused to allow it. The men were just too weak. They needed rest more than anything else, now.

True Terror - Chapter 4

Just as promised, the two men were fine when they pulled into the complex and dismounted the vehicles. A very pregnant Karri was in Watson’s arms in moments, the other men that had wives were doing the same thing.

“Not what we wanted,” Watson explained as the residents of the complex looked at the various semi trucks and trailers that accompanied the original vehicles. “Found some things useful. Just not as much as we were expecting. Things will go better next summer.”

The group broke up and everyone headed for their own home, except those volunteers that would brave the weather and get everything unloaded and the trucks moved to the parking lot set aside for them.

It had taken days to get semi trucks running as they came upon the ones they’d marked on their way out. The winter had set in early, catching the convoy just as they entered the ash fall zone. Watson had already decided they would be much more careful on the next trip. This first one had almost ended in disaster. But that was for later. Right now his concern was Karri and the baby on the way.

But Karri was right. The birth was an easy one. Watson Drake, Junior was born the day after Thanksgiving. He was a healthy, happy, eight pound two ounce bundle of pink joy.

Things were quiet that winter, for the most part. Watson’s warnings about Haley’s group went out every time the subject came up. Haley had not been on the air since the convoy had left. But there were other contacts made, and plans to include them in future trips from the complex were drawn up.

The major excitement came when a group east of Kansas City, Missouri informed the Complex that a major greenhouse manufacturer was located in northern Kansas City. The group offered to help get some of the greenhouses from the production plant in return for some of them, and a substantial amount of foodstuffs.

Watson thought it over for several days before he agreed to the plan. The manufacturer that Watson had used to produce the atrium greenhouse caps was under no telling how many feet of ash. But having nearly lost his life on the last trip, he wasn’t about to do anything off the cuff that could get him or some of his people killed or injured.

They would be working in thick ash, as much as twelve feet thick, according to the other group’s leader, Marcus Tooley. Their group was too small to attempt the extraction on their own.

After discussions with Clinton and Carlyl, it was finally decided to go for the greenhouses, and then continue northward to meet with Elijah’s group in Iowa with half of the group, while the other have took the greenhouses home.

Watson and Carlyl planned the trip carefully. They would be taking most of the same crew as the first trip, with just a couple of changes in personnel. One difference would be they would take the semi trucks, without trailers, that they’d managed to get running on the previous trip. Obtaining trailers when they arrived wouldn’t be a problem, according to Marcus. Semi trucks were a different story.

The only semi trailers they would take with them were two reefers. One trailer of frozen foodstuffs, and the second, used as a dry cargo box trailer, carried additional food not requiring refrigeration, and some other goods that were part of the trade agreement.

The expedition was ready by the end of March, but the weather was still too bad to risk traveling in it. But when the weather broke in late April, Watson decided it was as safe as it was going to get, and ordered the convoy assembled for departure.

Travelling east on the roads already cleared of ash, the lead Unimog plowed snow so the other vehicles could make it through. Leaving US 60 east of Mountain View to take US 63 they turned north. It was a new route and the going was slow. There wasn’t much ash, but there was still quite a bit of snow on the ground that hid the damage done to the road from the massive earthquake when the New Madrid Seismic Zone was triggered by the terrorists. Bridges were down, and many alternate routes had to be checked to find one still standing. In many cases, the smaller rivers were forded when they found a suitable place.

The winches on the Unimogs and Suburbans were in constant use getting the other vehicles across the tough spots.

When they approached Rolla, Missouri, Watson slowed the convoy and went ahead in Karri’s Suburban, with two men riding shotgun, leaving Carlyl in charge of the rest of the convoy.

They’d made contact with a group in the college town and set up a meet. But memories of Haley’s place in Tennessee worried him and he decided not to take many chances. But the group, mostly college students at the Rolla School of Mines, was glad to see them.

The small enclave was doing all right, but welcomed the presence of Watson and the rest of the convoy. The residents of the college town were a hearty, rough bunch. They’d managed to survive the hardships over the years since the attacks took place and had a community that was making it well on its own.

“Marie, we’d like to set up a trade route. What do you need and what do you have in trade for it?”

“Well, we’ve managed to get a lot of the equipment at the campuses up and running on a part time basis. We’ve salvaged a lot of raw materials and can fabricate replacement parts for many different kinds of equipment. We’re doing okay with farming, including stock animals. Not as many horses as we’d like, but we’re building the herd.”

“I see,” Watson replied. “We’re in the market for vegetable oil for making biodiesel. And I have a feeling we’ll be able to do business for spare parts for our equipment. We have good horse breeding stock, in return, as well as gold and silver coins. And we can handle long range transport in the near future.”

“Yes. We can do business. We don’t have much in the way of an economy, other than trading and bartering. And that is becoming difficult without a medium of exchange. No one wants to take currency and there isn’t much gold and silver around. Most of those that have it are holding on to it. With so few willing to part with it, there are those that aren’t willing to accept if for fear others won’t either.”

“We can rectify that problem, I believe,” Watson said. “We have a supply of gold and silver coins we can get into circulation. We’ll accept them as well as pay with them.”

“Okay. We’ve got a deal. Details later?”

Watson smiled. “Details later.” The two shook hands and Marie walked Watson back to the Suburban.

“We’ll have a list of things available by the time you come back this way,” Marie said after shaking Watson’s hand.

“As will we. It’s really good to see some others making it. I know how tough it’s been.”

“Not nearly as tough as where you are,” Marie said, shaking her head. “I don’t think we would have made it with that much ash fall.”

“But you did make it and that’s what counts. See you in a few weeks.”

“Right.”

Watson got into the Suburban and picked up the radio microphone. “Let’s roll, Carlyl. Things care copasetic.”

“Roger, Watson. We’re on our way.”

Watson waved at Marie and his driver pulled out onto the street and they headed to meet the rest of the convoy.

Staying on US 63 northbound, the convoy reached what was left of Jefferson City, Missouri, the former Capital of Missouri. Much like some of the other towns they traveled through, there were signs of life, but no attempt at contact. Much of the city, including the Capital Complex, had burned.

They caught a huge break in Jeff City, however. Watson and the others were expecting to need to travel westward no little distance to find a place to cross the Missouri River. But, to their collective surprise, the northbound bridge of US 63/54 crossing the river near the burned out Capital Complex were still standing. The middle of the southbound bridge had parted in the middle and had fallen into the river, probably a result of the quakes.

The northbound bridge was leaning slightly, but after a close inspection, Watson decided to risk using it. After rigging up to rescue anyone that might go into the water, Watson took Karri’s Suburban across it, alone. There were half a dozen vehicles on the bridge, but spread out and Watson was able to maneuver through them without trouble.

Watson did have one of the Unimogs come next, to push one vehicle out of the way so the semi trucks and trailers could make it. One after the other the rest of the vehicles came across the bridge, without incident.

Finding the bridge intact seemed to bring a string of good luck. It was fairly smooth sailing on US 63 all the way to Columbia, Missouri. Also a college town. But the inhabitants had not fared as well as they had in Rolla. Many furtive movements as they passed through and got on I-70 westbound.

While the luck had been good at Jeff City, it was bad when they came up to the I-70 bridge over the Missouri River. It was down and there was no good way around it. After consulting their maps, they back tracked to BB highway and went north to pick up US 40, to head west again. Rocheport was like a tomb and they barely slowed down going through it.

When they came to the river just north of Booneville they found the US 40 bridge down as well. But just east of the highway was the railroad bridge, still standing. Another detailed inspection, and some very careful maneuvering, and the convoy crossed into Booneville on the railroad bridge.

Picking up I-70 again, the convoy continued west, running into the occasional patch of ash. It appeared to have been wind driven from the west, as it wasn’t a uniform layer, only patches. They were met at the I-70 interchange that served the small town of Bates City.

The two men were armed, but kept their weapons slung when Watson rolled to a stop next to them.

“Drake?” asked one of the men.

“Yes,” Watson replied, holding out his hand through the window of the Suburban. “Watson Drake.”

The man shook Watson’s hand and said, “I’m Marcus Tooley. More or less leader of our group.” He looked down the line of vehicles. “I see you came prepared.”

Watson nodded. “Based on what you told us, we wanted to be able to get into KC and back out with as many of the greenhouses as possible.

“I want this to work,” Marcus said, “But it is going to be tough. That ash is thick and treacherous.”

“We’ll scout it out before we commit any vehicles. Where do you want us to set up? We have supplies, so we won’t impact yours.”

“Good. We’re doing okay, but this many more mouths to feed would strain us. Just follow me in and we’ll set you up in one of the areas in town we don’t have under cultivation.”

Watson nodded and Marcus and the second man walked over to an old military Jeep and climbed in. Watson and the rest of the convoy followed the slow moving Jeep off the interstate and into the small town. When the jeep pulled to the side of the street, Marcus pointed to a large parking lot empty of vehicles.

The convoy members, now seasoned travelers all, began to park and set up camp. There was enough ground not covered by concrete to set up the tents. Marcus came up and stood beside Watson as the transformation took place.

“Good group of people, looks like,” Marcus said.

“We’ve had some practice. Where can we go to get down to the details?”

“My place is just down the street. Follow me there and we’ll hammer everything out.”

Again leaving Mark in charge, Watson motioned Carlyl over to join him and they got in the Suburban to follow Marcus.

Though neither man said anything, Carlyl and Watson were both somewhat disappointed in the situation when Marcus laid it out fully. It was going to be much more difficult to accomplish than they were initially lead to believe.

Through whatever vagaries of the wind, the ash fall had quickly tapered off just west of Bates City, Kansas City had received a thick covering. While some of the ash had blown away in the intervening years, and compacted to quite an extent, the ash was still thick and treacherous in places.

Despite the inconsistent information, Watson was determined to accomplish what they’d come for. After the basic discussion of who would do what, and for what compensation, the three men got into the Suburban, with Marcus in the front passenger seat to guide Watson.

Almost immediately after they got back on I-70 and headed west to KC, the ash accumulation began. The interstate had been cleared at one time, Marcus told them, but they couldn’t afford to use the fuel to do it anymore. They’d salvaged what they could, early on, and no longer tried to get into the city.

Watson felt the difference when he was on packed ash. Though it supported the Suburban, there was what he thought of as a squirrelly sensation to the steering. Traveling very slowly in four wheel drive, and careful not to spin the tires, Watson followed Marcus’ directions.

Marcus stopped them at the I-70/I-435 intersection. “This is as far as we made it. From here on to the greenhouse place it is really iffy staying on top of the ash.”

“What about the bridges over the river?”

“We’ve been to the bridges in a boat. They all look okay. A few cars on them, but they are all still standing.”

Watson looked around the area. It was dirty gray, verging on black in places. They appeared to be at least nine feet above the pavement. It was going to be hit and miss the rest of the way with the trucks. Maneuvering very carefully, Watson turned the Suburban around and headed back to the campsite. They dropped Marcus off at his place on the way.

“This is going to be tough, Watson,” Carlyl said when they parked and headed for the cook tent to get the meal being prepared.

“I know. And dangerous. I’m still debating how to approach it. I’d really like to get those commercial greenhouses.”

“I think we’d better go in on foot first. Make sure that there are enough there to make it worthwhile,” Carlyl said.

Watson nodded. “That’s what I was thinking. Lets rig up this afternoon and we’ll make the excursion in the morning.”

With a plan in place, the two men began to eat and then spent the afternoon getting ready.

Carlyl wasn’t happy about it, but he was delegated to stay behind. Mark would be going with Watson. Mark had quite a bit of mountain trekking experience in deep snow. Watson thought that experience would be of help.

Watson set up a radio contact schedule. Only in the direst of emergencies would Carlyl order a recovery attempt. Feeling more than a little apprehensive Watson roped up with Mark at the intersection and they set off toward greenhouse manufacturer’s place.

Both men were suited up in Tyvek, with dust masks and goggles. The slightest wind would stir up the fine ash on the surface. It was eerie, walking through the city, anywhere from ten to fifteen feet above street level.

They made it across the river without any problems, staying on the Interstate, but when they left I-29/I-35 and started going essentially cross country on top of the ash over the city streets and buildings to their destination, things began to get dicey.

There were large banks of ash against some of the buildings that blocked the wind, with other areas swept nearly clear of ash, leaving deep crevices in the wave-like surface. But the two men, moving cautiously, every step checked with a probe pole before taking it, continued toward their destination.

Both were exhausted when they reached the site. It was easy to spot. Both were ready to set up a camp on the surface of the ash and settle in for the night. One last radio call to Carlyl had him resting easy before night settled fully.

The next morning Mark and Watson woke to thunder and lightning and heavy rain pounding the tent. Fortunately it faded by the time they were up and ready to go. But as soon as Watson stepped out of the tent he went to his knee in the now soupy ash.

“We’re stuck for a while,” Watson told Mark. “Hopefully this will firm up as it dries.” Both men settled themselves in the tent and Watson got Carlyl on the radio and told him the situation.

Watson’s hope proved to be the case. The rain quickly filtered down and the surface of the ash again firmed up. At least enough to walk on carefully. “There’s no way the vehicles will stay on top of this if it rains when we’re on the ash,” Mark said as Watson knocked out one of the windows near the roofline of the building they were camped beside.

It took some tricky rope work to get down to the floor of the building. Watson was more than a little surprised it was still standing. Even though it was, there were areas where windows and doors had given way and allowed long streams of ash to enter.

Working by the light of a wind-up LED flashlight, Watson and Mark went through the office area and back into the work and warehouse areas.

“Holy Moley!” Mark exclaimed at the sight of stacks of greenhouse components.

“Yep,” Watson said, staring as well. “It will be worth it if we can get even half of this out of here.”

“Oh, yeah!” Mark responded.

“Now we just have to figure out how to do it,” Watson said.

The trip back to the Suburban went a little quicker, though the two men were very cautious about footing with the previous night’s rain.

It took three days of planning and two months of careful work with the Unimogs to get a path cut through the ash to the building. And at that, they still couldn’t get the semi trucks to the location. Every item had to be loaded on the Unimogs and transported to the point the semis could make it, and then transferred.

It was hot, grueling, itchy work, due to the ash when the weather cleared and the surface ash dried thoroughly and began to blow around. But knowing the lives of many people could be dependent on the greenhouses in the future, the men stuck to the work and moved every useable piece of greenhouse in the warehouse to the semi trucks.

By mid-July the work was done. The Bates City group had their food and share of the greenhouses. Watson rested the convoy members for three days before heading back to Columbia. There Watson dispatched the semis toward home, and turned the rest of the convoy north, toward Iowa, on US 63.

While it could not be said it was easy going, the members of the convoy were now expert at getting through the patches of ash that the winds had deposited well east of the main ash falls, and getting around bad places on the road that the earthquakes had caused. And still caused. For when they neared Kirksville, Missouri, the convoy had to come to a halt when the ground began to move, shaking the vehicles on their suspensions.

When they were able to continue, there were fresh scars on the road along with the older ones. All things considered, they made good time to Elijah’s large enclave of survivors in and around Mt. Pleasant, Iowa.

Of the groups they had met with on the journeys, Elijah’s was in the best shape. Beyond just surviving, they were, not quite flourishing, but were doing well and doing better every day. The community facilities were well kept, and everyone had a job to do, and got a share in the community projects.

Since the time of first contact, Elijah had managed to acquire two large windmills and the switchgear to run them, so the community had nearly constant electrical power. They had a going biodiesel operation and were able to farm using the massive four-wheel drive tractors common to the area.

After exchanging a few pleasantries, and making an agreement to trade excess production each might have in the future, Watson turned the convoy back south and they headed home well before the snow began to fly.

Clinton already had two of the huge greenhouses up, with four more in various stages of construction, when Watson and the others made it home. There was no point in even considering another trip with the winter coming up quickly, much less one to Reno. Watson as yet had no idea how to go about getting there. The ash fall was dozens of feet deep from well into Canada south into Mexico. Going all the way around would take months. There was no way to carry enough fuel to do it with equipment, and going on foot could take years and there was little chance they could feed themselves on the way.

After thinking about it for weeks, Watson gave up on the idea for the mean time. Someone would come up with something. For the moment, radio contact would have to do.

But shortly after Christmas that year, Watson woke up from a dream. He had to concentrate for several minutes to remember what it was in the dream that had intrigued him. But finally he let out a light “Whoop!” that stirred Karri, but didn’t wake her.

The next day, right after breakfast, Watson rounded up Clinton and Carlyl and explained his idea. A day later the framework was begun for the first of five thirty foot long by twelve foot wide hovercraft.

It took the rest of the winter and into the spring to complete the craft, test them, and then equip and supply them for a trip direct to Reno from the Complex.

The hovercraft had a few weaknesses, attributable to the ash they would be crossing. The ash was abrasive and would cut even the tough skirt material made from industrial conveyor belting. Enough extra belting was carried to replace the entire skirt of each craft.

And the ash was constant. Only inside the small cabin on one side of the hovercraft were dust masks and goggles not needed. Outside, when the engines were running there was a cloud of the ash around the craft, except the very front, and only then when they were moving forward.

The engines, all three of them, on each hovercraft, required large cyclonic air filters to capture the majority of the ash that would destroy the engines in minutes if allowed to get into them through the air intakes. The cyclones would last for some time, being made from extremely hard steel, but plenty of extra regular air filters were carried to catch the fine material that managed to get through the cyclones.

The hovercraft could not do what their name indicated. That is, hover. The powerful streams of air coming from under the skirt would literally dig a pit the hovercraft would sink into, except on the very hardest packed ash. A few inches of movement per second was enough to keep the craft on the surface, but if one needed to stay in place for long, it had to be grounded and the lift fans turned off.

It would probably have been necessary anyway, for the cloud of ash was just too much to work in. But the craft served their purpose. They could carry personnel and significant amounts of equipment and cargo across the huge expanse of the ash fields, with the range and speed to make it worthwhile.

But that didn’t mean there weren’t still dangers across the desolate, lifeless landscape. The convoy, spread five abreast to avoid running into each others’ ash plumes, were making good progress travelling across the deep ash covering southern Kansas.

“I don’t like the looks of that,” Carlyl said into the radio. He was in the southernmost hovercraft. “To the southwest. Look at those clouds.” While the ground might be covered with ash, that darkness seemed only to make good weather tolerable, and bad weather much worse than normal.

Watson lifted his binoculars to his eyes and looked to the southwest. Sure enough, there were low, thick clouds hanging. A summer thunderstorm. A big one. It was hard to tell where land and cloud met, with both having similar coloration.

“Craft Captains,” Watson said into the radio mike, “I think we’d better set down and deploy our anchors. The storm to our southwest could be a bad one.”

Having made the maneuvers first in practice, and then during the nighttime stops, the five hovercraft Captains brought the craft slowly to a stop, minimizing the ash blow, but getting the craft close together without burying them.

“What do you think, Watson?” Carlyl asked. “Use the ability to dig the hovercraft down a couple of feet for more protection?”

“I don’t think so,” Watson said, after some consideration. If they let each hovercraft run for a few minutes, each would dig itself down into the ash. That would provide some stability if the winds rose.

“I’m afraid we could get buried too deep to power ourselves out. Better to put out plenty of anchors.”

“Will do,” Carlyl replied. The decision made, the crews set about drilling screw type anchors deep into the ash and securing them to each hovercraft. Normally, only one forward and one aft were put out during their night stops, just in case of wind gusts. But this weather was shaping up to be much worse than the occasional winds they’d encountered so far.

Covers were placed on the air intakes and exhausts, and the small cabins closed up and sealed against the dust that was sure to come. If they were lucky the rains would come first and keep the ash down, but there was no guarantee and it was better to be safe than sorry.

“Our tents will never stand the force of the wind if this keeps up,” Carlyl told Watson as a strong gust of wind stirred the ash around them.

“No.” Watson was silent for a moment, but then pointed at his hovercraft. “There is plenty of space under the hovercraft. Tunnel under and we’ll be in as protected an area as possible as long as they stay in place.”

Carlyl looked askance at Watson for a moment, but when another gust of wind blasted him, he hurried to pass the word around and start working on an access trench for his hovercraft.

The winds picked up and the last few men that crawled under the hovercraft quickly filled in the trenches to cut them off from the elements outside. The temperature slowly dropped, and the heavy hovercraft began to shake as the winds picked up as the front came through.

A few minutes later a heavy, pounding rain began, making conversation almost impossible. It lasted for over an hour, but then the sounds died down, and the hovercraft quit shifting on the support of their partially collapsed skirts.

Ready to get out from under the oppressive presence of the hovercraft tunnels were again dug quickly, and the men exited.

“I think we got really lucky,” Watson said, standing in the light rain that was now falling.

Copyright 2010

Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    “Yeah,” Carlyl replied, looking around at the hovercraft. Not a one of them had shifted more than a foot or so, tied down the way they were. But the violence of the storm was evident in the areas of paint that the wind borne ash had scoured almost to bare metal and wood.

“Let’s make some time while we have the conditions,” Watson said then. “With this rain, we should be able to really move.”

The men wasted no time unscrewing the anchors and stowing everything on the hovercraft. A half hour later, the engines were revving up and the hovercraft skirts ballooned. Ash still flew, but it was a miniscule amount compared to when it was dry.

Watson had his helmsman steer a compass course late into the night, the other craft following in the wings of a V behind him, as they put mile after mile behind them.

But the weather wasn’t through with them. It was barely noon when the team got ready to move again after an early, long lunch break after traveling through the night and having packaged food for breakfast without stopping. All eyes were on the horizon. It looked as bad or worse than it had the day before.

“I don’t like that green cast to the clouds,” Watson told Carlyl.

“Could be tornados in that,” Carlyl responded. “Very well could have been one yesterday, and we just didn’t see it.”

“Yes. That is what has me worried. Wind is one thing. A tornado is another. I think we’d better swing south and try to go around it. From the looks of it, it is headed straight for us where we are.”

“Not just dig in again?” Carlyl asked, more as Devil’s advocate than any suggestion to do so.

“Not this time. At least, not now. We’ll see how things go.” Watson hurried the crews up a little and the convoy was on the way again, angling well south of the track of the storm. But even after turning almost due south, the storm system was growing, mostly in a southerly direction.

It was again the sharp eyes of Carlyl that spotted the first tornado and radioed the other hovercraft with a report. Watson thought about stopping and taking the same precautions as the day before, but with a tornado headed directly for them, he decided it wouldn’t be such a good idea.

Rain began to lash the hovercraft as Watson had his helmsman speed up and turn due south to make a run from the path of the worst of the storm. The other hovercraft Captains followed suit.

It was a near thing, anyway. At least two tornados passed within a mile of the hovercraft, causing more than a little trouble handling them. But all five drivers were already well skilled with their machines and managed to keep the craft upright and on track.

Finally around the worst of the storm, Watson had them angling back to the north, very slightly, and kept the speed up on the rain packed ash. They were able to keep going through another night and put the storm systems well behind them.

The hovercraft were able to make over seventy knots under the conditions they were currently running in and made good use of the capability, crossing the state line between Kansas and Colorado that afternoon.

The next day they were in the foothills of the Rockies and met the first of many challenges that Watson and Carlyl had carefully prepared for. The hovercraft could climb a significant rise, if it had speed already up. Going through the mountains was another thing entirely.

Despite a carefully mapped out route, the alternative means of forward motion were put into place and the hovercraft began the laborious trip up and over the Rockies.

The hovercraft had been built with hydraulically driven propulsion wheels. Normally the wheels touched the ground only when the hovercraft were at rest so they could be moved around on firm ground without firing up the lift engines. Now they were jacked down to provide traction to get through the mountains on slopes that the pusher fan couldn’t get the hovercraft up alone.

It was a slow process, with more than a little excitement when one of the hovercraft would break traction and either slide backward down a slope, or go forward at much too fast a pace when they were going downhill.

But the technique worked, mostly by taking a very roundabout way, using only the slightest sloping path they could find up to and through the passes. They were approaching Fallon, Nevada, with the ash level decreasing rapidly as they continued west when the ambush was sprung.

Hiding in pits dug into the ash, fully twenty men popped up and began firing on the hovercraft as they passed by on the only logical route they could take to get to Reno without going in an even more roundabout way.

Marty Lirit had warned Watson of the possibility of bandits, and for the last two days the convoy had traveled on a heightened alert status. Sandbags had been filled with ash and stacked on the open decks of the hovercraft. Armed men were stationed behind each emplacement. And, primarily due to Carlyl’s salvaging operations early on, the men were equipped with full auto firearms.

It was a close thing, for those in the ambush also had several automatic weapons, too. But with the protection of the sandbags, the plethora of automatic weapons behind them, and the very mass of the hovercraft as they drove right over several of the ambush positions, the convoy passed through the ambush site with little damage and only three minor injuries.

When they were well clear of the area, Carlyl radioed Watson. “You know, we’re coming back this way when we leave…”

“Yes, we are…” Watson mused about it only a few moments before he had the convoy turning around and going right back into the hornets’ nest. Only it was no longer an ambush site. With the convoy long gone, or so thought the ambushers, those that had survived were headed on foot to where their vehicles were parked.

The returning hovercraft caught them almost flat footed. It was like shooting fish in a barrel, only the fish were firing back. But it was a lost cause. Between those that were shot foundering in the ash trying to get away, and those the hovercraft knocked down and drove right over, burying them in ash, there were only three still trying to fight when the hovercraft turned once again and bore down on them.

Watson was sure that at least a handful of the men got away, but had no doubt they would ever try to go against the hovercraft again. Marty Lirit was ecstatic when Watson radioed him that they were coming in, with the bodies of several ambushers.

“I am so glad you are all right!” Marty said. He was an enthusiastic, if somewhat short man, eager to talk to Watson.

After the explanation by the members of the convoy and the showing of the bodies to the several people around Marty, Watson and Carlyl were able to get him calmed down and away from the others so they could talk about the purpose of the trip quietly.

“Of course! Of course! It is just so good to see someone from the other side!”

“Other side?” asked Watson.

“Other side of the ash. We’ve talked to a few, such as yourself, but none have been tempted to come this way. We were lucky the Long Valley Caldera and Yellowstone Caldera explosions didn’t dump more than a dusting of ash on us. Pure chance, I suppose. But it did cover all of southern California. There are people along the coast from north of San Francisco to Canada. Nothing from Idaho or Montana as I’m sure you know. The local volcanoes up there did their own damage to the area.

“There is some food production in the north end of the Sacramento Valley, but with the extreme winter weather they are struggling almost as much as we are. And it is hard to get around. The Tesla earthquakes destroyed roads and bridges all through that area.”

“Wait a minute!” Watson said. Carlyl was opening his mouth to say something similar.

“Tesla earthquakes? What does Tesla have to do with the earthquakes?”

“You know who Tesla is?” Marty asked.

Neither Watson nor Carlyl responded at the implied lack of knowledge. “Yes. We know who Tesla is,” Watson replied evenly.

“Yes. Of course. Well, before things became so desperate there were investigations into the simultaneous earthquakes over so much of California. They were timed to make things as bad as possible, with one fault system letting loose with the next one enhancing the effects of the first.

“My brother is… was… a seismologist working on the San Andreas Fault. He was killed trying to get here.” Marty sighed, but continued. “Anyway. Before we lost contact he told me they found devices at several locations. All right on fault lines. Benji was a Tesla fanatic. He recognized the devices as large models of the Tesla Earthquake Machine Tesla invented and tested in 1898.”

“So the earthquakes… Volcanoes… they were all really created by the terrorists?”

“Seems so,” Marty said.

It was Carlyl that voiced the thought all three men had simultaneously. “They had no idea of the power they were messing with. What it would do to the whole world, not just the US.”

“I think not,” Marty said, rather fatalistically. “But what is done is done. We have to deal with it.”

“Yes,” said Watson. “But it is good to know what really happened. You’re sure of this?”

“On my brother’s soul,” Marty said softly. “He was convinced. He knew all about Tesla and his inventions. Played around with some of them, even, on a small scale. I believe what he told me.”

“Okay. That’s the best explanation I’ve heard about what happened. On to business. What do you need from us? And what can you provide in return?”

“We’re on good terms with those in Northern California, Oregon, and Washington. I can supply fish of all kinds, certain vegetables, and fruits. We have to keep all the animal protein we produce. Between the quakes and everything else, especially the extended winters we’re having, the herds in the area didn’t fare too well. We lost thousands of stock animals the first year. Just now trying to build up herds again. We could use some new bloodlines, if that is at all possible.”

Marty looked at Watson expectantly.

“We can provide that. We can use fruits. And vegetable oil for biodiesel. It is difficult for us to produce effectively where we are in the edge of the ash.”

“I don’t see how you survived that. Being actually within the area of the ash falls. How deep did it really get where you are?”

“Twelve feet, compacted down to eight by the time we could get out and start dealing with it,” replied Watson.

Marty gave Watson an incredulous look, but Watson didn’t respond. “With the hovercraft we have, we should be able to make perhaps two trips a summer. We’ll figure out a freezer system so we can get frozen fish to take back. Assuming you can get it frozen to start with?”

“We can,” replied Marty. “And we’re short on construction timber. We’ve cut so much of what we have for firewood, and torn down unused wooden buildings for both firewood and to reuse the wood for building, that we don’t have much left.”

“Wouldn’t be a great deal of it, simply due to the limited transport. But yes. We can get you some lumber. I’m surprise you don’t get it from Oregon or Washington if you have transport.”

“They won’t trade us for it. For any price. They’re going through their own resources faster than they can grow new.”

“I see,” Watson said, looking thoughtful. “It is something we all have to deal with. What else do you need or want?”

“It’s less what we need as what you might want. We still have a couple of working gold mines. We have gold, but a lot of people won’t take it. We don’t have a good way to mint it, and people don’t trust the gold dust or nuggets. A lot of them will take silver and gold coins from before, but we just don’t have much in circulation.”

“We’ll take all the gold you can produce,” Watson said quickly, drawing a sharp look from Carlyl. “In payment, or just as a trade good for something else. As long as I can see the operation and verify what we’re getting, I’ll trust you in the future to continue to do the same thing.”

“Really? Well, sure! I can get you up to the mine, today, if you want.”

“Tomorrow is fine. We’ve travelled far, and not without some danger. We’d like to get the ash out of our pores and some fresh food, and not a little rest.”

“Of course! Of course! Just follow me. We’ll get you settled in. How long can you stay?”

“With the late start we got,” Watson told Marty, “No more than a few days. We want to get back before the snow flies.”

“Very well. Let’s see to those accommodations.”

Carlyl spoke quietly to Watson after Marty left the two men, along with the other convoy members, at a small hotel kept up for just such occasions. Before, it had only been people from the west coast. Watson and his people were the first from the east side of the ash fall. There was a crowd of well wishers and curious people.

Stepping aside, the two men kept an eye on the proceedings, but let the others do the talking and explaining to the Reno locals. “You do realize that the hovercraft will do as well or better on the snow as on the ash, don’t you, Watson?” Carlyl asked.

Watson grinned at his friend. “Sure I do. But I don’t want Marty to think it is an easy trip, winter or summer.”

Carlyl smiled. “Okay. I get that. But the gold? It’s your operation, of course, but our people aren’t going to want gold nuggets and gold dust. They are a little leery of the coins you’ve been putting into circulation.”

“I know. But I have a couple things up my sleeve that could ease the situation a little.” Carlyl looked at him inquisitively. Watson continued. “I have a complete precious metals assaying and refining setup. Small scale, so I can’t really refine microscopic gold ores, but placer gold, or gold already initially processed I can convert to twenty-four karat without too much trouble.

“Same with silver. And I have a set of punches and dies, and a press, so I can mint my own coins. It was something I thought rather silly to do, but challenge coins and things like that caught my interest. I invested in the small scale machinery to make them. I can make them in gold just as easily, if not easier, than I can the more common metals used for them.

“Karri is a great artist. You’ve seen that one little Beretta Tomcat that is engraved and inlaid?” When Carlyl nodded, Watson continued. “She did that herself. No problem at all to create a complex enough design on the dies to mint coins for several years before chance of counterfeiters trying to duplicate them turn up. I’ll be the bank and will convert any of the coins that people are unsure of to goods or services to keep the acceptance of the coins up.”

“You’ve got it all worked out,” Carlyl said. He shook his head. “I should have known you had something up your sleeve when you jumped on the gold angle.”

Watson smiled back. “Still got a few up my sleeve. Just hope we never need any of them."

Watson said goodbye to the three people that had come on the trip to stay in Reno. Reno was glad to have them, as they brought some skills from Watson’s operation that would be valuable to the Reno group. With the hovercraft loaded with a variety of items that Marty made available in return for the basic goods that Watson had brought with them, Watson signaled the helmsmen of the hovercraft to start their engines.

Those seeing them off hustled backwards as the airflow from under the skirt stirred up the dust and buffeted them. A few people in each group waved, and then, Watson’s hovercraft in the lead, the convoy headed toward the canyon that would take them east again.

The return trip was uneventful, and with the experience gained on the outbound trip, went much more quickly. Much of the Complex was out to meet the hovercraft when they returned. Karri met Watson with a hug and a kiss and the news that Watson, Junior, was now walking and getting into everything.

Watson swung his son up into the air, gave him a kiss, and then kissed Karri again. “Only a few more trips, I promise. And then one of the others can take charge.”

“It is all right, my dear,” Karri replied. “I understand the need to see to things yourself until they are second nature to everyone.”

“I love you.”

“I love you, too. Now come on to the house and tell me everything you left out of the radio reports.”

Watson paled just slightly, and Karri laughed. “I knew it! There are some things you left out. Come along and we’ll discuss them.”

Carlyl was going through much the same routine with his wife and children. Clinton rounded up the unattached members of the convoy crew and asked about the trip. He got an earful.

With the trade agreements in place, and a functioning society going again between the west coast and the mid-west not covered by ash, Watson took another long trip two years later. Much of the east coast of the country had suffered damage from the La Palma tsunami, and the northeast was seeing winters unheard of in modern times. But there were people in both areas that had survived the worst that the terrorists and nature had thrown at them.

It was the same along the Gulf Coast. There the problem was mostly over population. Many that had survived in the Midwest had migrated south when the snow and ice began to encroach on their areas.

Watson’s place became the center of the country, socially and monetarily. He became the nation’s banker, minting gold and silver coins that became known as Drakes on a continuing basis as new metal came in from the west. He kept a steady supply of money flowing, the Drakes becoming as equally accepted as the Krugerrands and American Eagle coins that went into circulation when payments with real money became the norm, rather than trade and barter of goods and services.

It would be centuries before the Ash Zone was once again populated, after the quick growth of the glaciers of a new ice age finally stopped and then slowly receded. The remainder of the US, despite the cold, with the continued use of specially built hovercraft, and the eventual installation of a dual railroad line across the zone reunited, recovered, and even prospered during the five hundred years of the Terrorists’ Ice Age.

End ********

Copyright 2010
    Jerry D Young

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Now THAT was a great story! It put to life a fear I've always had. Although I always pictured the calderas being ignited by nuclear sized terrorist attacks. Still, something I hadn't thought of and something to think about.

Hovercrafts. Ingenious.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    I always enjoy reading your stories Jerry, another good one here. Thanks for posting.

Top Bottom