• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    I also picked up a Jap Arisaka with mum still on it. But there are many different versions of this rifle. It has very little in the way of marks. Anyone know how to determine which model I have?

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    IMG_0416.JPG IMG_0415.JPG IMG_0414.JPG
    I don't know how well you can see it from pics, but it looks to be a 99, but there is another symbol after the 99 that I cannot see from the website you gave me.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101116112456AArdPz4

this collector seems to go against the "don't shoot last ditch"
    have you ever fired one? Own one?
    after taking apart and cleaning it appears to be a well made weapon.
    Imho better made than most weapons today

As I said, "IMHO"...Never said I was right....It's a weapon made in the last years of the bloodiest conflict the world has ever known....Shoot it once to get it out of your system and then let it enjoy it's latter years being a conversation piece....

That's just my opinion but it's your weapon and you may do what you want with it.....

[FONT=&quot]"There is a myth going around that last ditch guns are dangerous to fire, this is bull****, no country sends its men out with dangerous rifles"

Best quote ever lol...

[/FONT]
    image.jpg
    [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Even the Germans were known to have sub-par heat treat on some of the Mausers. It isn't outside the realm of possibility that Japan's cottage industry screwed a few up. But it's your rifle, and I know most of them are safe.

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    I know that's your opinion. Not trying to cause conflict. Seriously just wanting to know if you have fired an Arisaka, or own one. I'm really wanting the opinion of one who owns one or collects them. If you do then that makes your opinion more valuable to me in this category. I have quite a few ww2 weapons, but this is my first Arisaka. So I was hoping there was another collector of these that could tell me all the do's and donts from their experience with this particular weapon.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I know that's your opinion. Not trying to cause conflict. Seriously just wanting to know if you have fired an Arisaka, or own one. I'm really wanting the opinion of one who owns one or collects them. If you do then that makes your opinion more valuable to me in this category. I have quite a few ww2 weapons, but this is my first Arisaka. So I was hoping there was another collector of these that could tell me all the do's and donts from their experience with this particular weapon.

I own a gun shop that specializes in surplus weapons and have sold more Arisakas, Samurai Swords and Nambus than you can shake a stick at........

That still makes my opinion just that, an opinion....The Arisaka is one of the strongest actions of any WW 2 rifle.....With that being said I would treat a last ditch rifle as a collector piece and not fire it.......

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I own a gun shop that specializes in surplus weapons and have sold more Arisakas, Samurai Swords and Nambus than you can shake a stick at........

That still makes my opinion just that, an opinion....The Arisaka is one of the strongest actions of any WW 2 rifle.....With that being said I would treat a last ditch rifle as a collector piece and not fire it.......

I am by no means questioning your knowledge of Arisakas, but I am wondering what makes you think his is a "last ditch" rifle.
    I can't tell from the pictures posted.

O.P.
    I am an Arisaka owner. Mine is also a type 99 and has an intact mum.
    Mine is 7.7x58Jap and I have fired it a handful of times.

As Indiucky said, the Arisaka is one of the strongest actions built and used in WWII.
    That said, IF your type 99 IS a "last ditch" rifle, I too would hesitate to shoot it.
    They were known for extremely poor quality control at the very end.

How does the bore/rifling look?
    Is the bore shiny, or frosty?
    Is the rifling strong?

Most last ditch rifles had nothing more the your basic buckhorn style rear sight, and a crude blade front sight.
    Post a few more close up pictures if you can.
    Focus on the front and rear sights.

At very least you have a great conversation piece/wall-hanger.

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    Ty mgderf
    the rifling is excellent. It looks shiny ( what does that mean? Shiny or frosty? )
    i will get closeups later. I put it away already as I was wanting to get way more info on it before I even think of taking it to a range. My focus has quickly turned to deciding between a Nambu or P38 or both. But I am still intrigued by this Arisaka. I love shooting the older ww2 rifles, but definitely only if it is wise.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Nice Arisaka. I have two with out the mum. :( As long as everything checks out on your Arisaka I wouldn't worry about shooting it. I love shooting mine.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a "last ditch" Arisaka 99, and it was a wooden butt plate.
    I can't tell by the pictures if this has one.

As to the strength of the Arisaka 99 action, they are actually one of the strongest.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ty mgderf
    the rifling is excellent. It looks shiny ( what does that mean? Shiny or frosty? )
    i will get closeups later. I put it away already as I was wanting to get way more info on it before I even think of taking it to a range. My focus has quickly turned to deciding between a Nambu or P38 or both. But I am still intrigued by this Arisaka. I love shooting the older ww2 rifles, but definitely only if it is wise.

Shiny is good. It means it has been taken care of, or shot very little.
    Bores get "frosty" when shot over long periods of time without proper cleaning/maintenance. A lot of this may or may not be due to shooting corrosive ammo.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I am by no means questioning your knowledge of Arisakas, but I am wondering what makes you think his is a "last ditch" rifle.
    I can't tell from the pictures posted.

O.P.
    I am an Arisaka owner. Mine is also a type 99 and has an intact mum.
    Mine is 7.7x58Jap and I have fired it a handful of times.

As Indiucky said, the Arisaka is one of the strongest actions built and used in WWII.
    That said, IF your type 99 IS a "last ditch" rifle, I too would hesitate to shoot it.
    They were known for extremely poor quality control at the very end.

The rear sight appears to be missing the aircraft sights....They stopped adding those in the latter part of the war, eventually getting to these....The weapon may be safe to shoot and the key to date of manufacture is in the markings on the receiver which will tell one what year it was made and by whom....

ArisakaOpenSight.jpg

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have a "last ditch" Arisaka 99, and it was a wooden butt plate.
    I can't tell by the pictures if this has one.

As to the strength of the Arisaka 99 action, they are actually one of the strongest.

I had one here in the shop that was mint last ditch...There were "chatter marks" on the stock near the pistol grip and where the curves were...I couldn't figure it out and finally did....We had bombed the you know what out of Tokyo and they had no electricity....The milling machines were being powered by hand and water..

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

You're new, so no fault for questioning Indiucky, but that man knows his old firearms... and where to find good BBQ.

abeguzmanmarine

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    TERRE HAUTE
    finally getting around to looking at this more closely, after doing more research it appears this is not a "last ditch" as you can see from the pics of the sights i am posting now. also all numbers match across the board. its only missing the wings on the rear sight and the monopod in the front.

Top Bottom