• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    I have been using my Remington 870 12gauge for over 20 years. I have since graduated to other things, but still use it a lot for dove and squirrel. If I were limited to 1 firearm, it would be an Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 with a deer and a bird barrel. Stick with 12 gauge. Finding a selection of 20 gauge ammo is a nightmare for me (my daughter has a 20gauge). If a Remington 11-87 with both barrels is available, you could go that route as well. If you choose a Remington, pay attention to the year it was made. As I understand it there was a period of time where the quality suffered. I still love mine and would buy another. If you can find a Wingmaster 870 you won't regret buying it.

ChootEm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    Whitestown
    My daughter and I shoot sporting clays. I had her on the 20 gauge and I was running the 12.

She was complaining about the recoil and sore shoulder.

Started lookng at load and velocity and the difference between 12 and 20 were small but the 20 was a lot lighter gun.

She switched over to the 12 and has never picked up to 20 again. So you might think about that. If you are doing a lot of carring and little shooting get the 20 for smaller stature. If a lot of shooting and little carring go with the 12 for all.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I reload 12 and 20. The 20 has more of a snap to the recoil that hurt my cheek bone after a long match. Reloading it took that away. Comfortable to shoot now.

bwillits

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    Fishers, IN
    If you really plan on hunting and hope to try a lot of different game, I’d go Rem 870 Express Super Mag. If you don’t get the extra rifles barrel then run some Lightfields for deer. Then if you want turkey throw on a Turkey choke like the jelly head. Then if you’re shooting small game like dove run a 2 3/4 inch small game load, step up to 3” for ducks and if you’re field hunting for flying carp (geese), throw in some 3.5”.

It was my first shotgun and I got it when I was probably ten. I wouldn’t throw in a big 3.5” shell but as the little ones grow up and depending on what game you pursue, it’s nice to have that option. Mines been abused and still runs like a champ.

Top Bottom