• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    With any luck I'll be shopping this week for a c3 corvette. Because of price and styling I'm looking at 1974-1979 and am looking to stay within my $10k budget. Looking for something that won't need much if any work to become my fair weather summer car.

Found a place fairly close to Indy that seems to have the largest inventory of Corvettes (and wranglers) I've seen. Just wondering if anyone has had any experiences good or bad with J and S motors? J&S Motors - Fairmount, Indiana - Corvettes would a place like this let me take a car to my mechanic prior to purchase or at least have a pre purchase inspection at the dealership?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    There's one on 144 just east of Mooresville sitting in a front yard with a for sale sign on it. Judging by the amount of dirt on it they must have just gotten it out of the barn. Very slim chance I'll be going by it today but if I do I'll see if there's a phone number on it. To answer your question I'd be surprised if they let you take the car for much more than a quick spin around the block, unless of course you wish to leave a deposit for the full amount. Good Luck!!! Summer cars are a blast!!!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You know what you're getting into?

Those are some kind of rough and HOT riding cars...

And my dad's 1980 had a goofy deal where, over certain bumps, the weight of the steering wheel center cover (horn button) would actually set the horn off.

Oh - and the vacuum line operated cruise control liked to stick "on". That's adventurous.

-J-

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I have never dealt with them beyond an email and call or two. They always seem slightly overpriced for what they're offering. Best of luck in your search!

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    Went up and they had a few cars I really liked but for the life of me I can't understand this guy's problem; I'm showing interest in the car but he wouldn't let me take it for a test drive or even start it up. He was upset that another guy went on 2-3 test drives and didn't buy anything well buddy I'm not him and I've got a pocket full of my sign on bonus! Even offered to put down a cash deposit but he wouldn't budge. My wife called and wanted me home anyway so I left and in the meantime I'm calling around to have a mechanic do an inspection on the car I liked the most at his location.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    This was 1.5 hours before the scheduled closing time but he really just seemed done for the day. Will be calling and scheduling a test drive soon and will make it clear if I can test the car I could buy it that day.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    C3's are like riding a train! Go C4 for the awesome suspension upgrade and drive one home for well less than 10K ! I have an 85 and Im installing a Gen 3 sbc in it...tossing the 350TPI.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    As far as performance I realize most C4's are a great performance bargain, but they are so ugly! On the other hand I love the curves of the C3's but I also know how poorly most of the ones I'm looking at perform.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    JMO, but there's so many Vettes out there I wouldn't bother buying one from a guy that's an azzhat. I'd be 'suspicious' of ANY dealer that wouldn't let me test drive / check it out first, especially if I were willing to leave a deposit for it. Or, he could ride along. And I'd never buy a used one without a thorough inspection, unless it's new or has a fantastic warranty.

If you're sending a mechanic, make sure he goes over the car VERY carefully. It's often the undercarriage that's an issue (unless the body has obvious cracks / damage). Seen a LOT of Vettes that 'look' good, but mechanically it'd cost more to bring them up to speed than they'd be worth afterward.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I didn't see this thread before you went over there to give you a heads-up on the guy. I went to school with his son and grew up a stone's throw from his location. He does come across as you found but he has been there forever and his stuff is always in good condition. I have a 74 C3 and if you haven't driven one, what everyone here is telling you is the truth. They are HOT in the summer! But boy do they look sweet! Just know that they are not the most comfortable Corvette and have some quirks (like the brakes) but they are a lot of fun too. Good luck and if you have any questions, I'd be happy to try to help.

Top Bottom