• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Backyardace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Looking to pick up a S&W M&P Shield as soon as I get my LTCH and was wondering about the holster and which way people would carry a handgun of similar size?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Because of the size, it's easy to carry OWB with a t-shirt covering, however, it's just as easy to cary IWB. It's not as much of a comfort issue with a Shield as much as a 1911 when considering the IWB/OWB options. I carry my Shield in an IWB holster, but that's just my personal choice.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I love my Blade Tech with ASR :D

p_098000083_1.jpg

Randrayla

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    I prefer OWB but also own several IWB holsters. Never know when you may need a little extra concealment. I like Galco for OWB.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Looking to pick up a S&W M&P Shield as soon as I get my LTCH and was wondering about the holster and which way people would carry a handgun of similar size?

Well, Simply Rugged makes some holsters that can be worn either way. I am considering getting one to try it out. Here is the Cuda, which is what you would want for your autoloader.

just order it with Inside the waistband straps.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    If your budget can afford it, I would say go with both. If you can't afford it, and already have slightly larger pants, I would say go IWB, and if you want to carry open with that, you can always tuck the shirt around it. OWB you can always conceal by wearing a larger shirt, so its more up to what you think is going to be more comfortable.

Backyardace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm really considering the Hidden Hybrid Holster since it can be used for both IWB and OWB.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm really considering the Hidden Hybrid Holster since it can be used for both IWB and OWB.

That sounds like a great choice. I do know OF a couple holsters that can do both, but since I could not remember them off the top of my head, I didnt want to just say something and have you looking for vague things on the internet. You have a link for the holster? If you dont mind me asking, am looking at getting a new holster for my Sig P228, and always open for ideas.

Backyardace

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    That sounds like a great choice. I do know OF a couple holsters that can do both, but since I could not remember them off the top of my head, I didnt want to just say something and have you looking for vague things on the internet. You have a link for the holster? If you dont mind me asking, am looking at getting a new holster for my Sig P228, and always open for ideas.

Hidden Hybrid Holsters

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I'm in the "get both" camp. I mostly carry a 3" 1911 (sometimes a 4.25" one), but I've got OWBs and IWBs for different reasons. I also have one of the type that can serve both ways, but prefer it as IWB only.
    By the way, you don't have to wait for your LTCH to get your Shield. Just sayin'.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I've got both as well. I've got one of those Simply Rugged "Cuda" holsters with the optional IWB straps mentioned earlier that I use both ways when concealed while wearing a cover garment.

If I just go strictly OC without concealment then I use something with a little bit more retention like a DeSantis belt scabbard with a thumb break.

crarndtii

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2012
    Jeffersonville, IN
    I have always been an IWB guy. I am fairly tall and thin. Shirts tend to ride up if I raise my arms to reach for something high. I think they print less too. Either way, get a really good belt. It will disperse the weight well and make you more comfortable.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    First, know the laws inside and out...what is and is not legal in this state. There can be no doubt in your mind what you can and cannot do in a stressful situation, it could cost you or someone you love their life....or land you in jail.

Second, carry around hour house and on your property. Every newbie has some sort of aprehension or nervousness when first carrying. Many have some figits that need to get rid of(adjusting gun, garment, etc). Work as much of this out away from the general public.

Then I strongly suggest that you CC out in public for a while before you consider OC. With OC comes extra stresses (weapon retension, odd looks/confrontations and good ones too, cop stops, MWAG calls, 5-yo girls, etc). With CC you can just go about your bizness and nobody is the wiser.

My :twocents:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom