I've noticed a trend....... Seems like INGOers are dumping their braced pistols.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Was it a fad, maybe?
    I don't think it was a fad; it was a contrived solution to a problem that was 100% contrived by our idiot overlords in the government.

However, despite being a contrived solution, for those who want a shorter package for home defense/"truck gun" purposes, that is still capable of being aimed with anything resembling reasonable stability, it is a pretty workable solution. If there really is a trend of people getting rid of braced pistols right now (which I don't think is the case) it's not because people are suddenly realizing that they jumped into a fad that has no practical purpose, but rather because, despite the usefulness of the firearms in question, people don't want to take the risk of bringing the wrath of our oh-so-fickle big brother down upon themselves.

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I had a nice BCM 11.5” pistol for awhile and enjoyed it a good bit. Back when I lived in Phoenix I was in an area that was pretty urban, so I considered it a worthwhile addition to my safe.

However, now that we’ve moved out here to rural America, I honestly don’t see as much use in a short pistol/rifle like that. My P&W 14.5” is only a few inches longer, and while I understand those extra 3” can make a difference in handling in tight quarters, I feel the tradeoff in ballistic performance isn’t worth it. If I’m in my house I’m more apt to use a handgun, and if I’m outside/in a TEOTWAWKI scenario I want the added distance, punch, and reliability that the longer barrel will provide. Maybe that’s just me, but there it is.

Part of me wishes I’d kept it just to give the finger to the Fed when the time comes, but I can find other ways to do that. :)

NoSaintJoe

shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2022
    Elkhart
    I don't think it was a fad; it was a contrived solution to a problem that was 100% contrived by our idiot overlords in the government.

However, despite being a contrived solution, for those who want a shorter package for home defense/"truck gun" purposes, that is still capable of being aimed with anything resembling reasonable stability, it is a pretty workable solution. If there really is a trend of people getting rid of braced pistols right now (which I don't think is the case) it's not because people are suddenly realizing that they jumped into a fad that has no practical purpose, but rather because, despite the usefulness of the firearms in question, people don't want to take the risk of bringing the wrath of our oh-so-fickle big brother down upon themselves.
    It was originally designed for disabled vets (amputees) to still be able to shoot. It caught on with the general public.
    Then politics entered into it.

But it is kind of drying up on the public side of things

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    But it is kind of drying up on the public side of things
    Are you saying you think there was a trend away from braced pistols that had already begun before the ATF started hinting at shutting them down? I thought that they were generally increasing in popularity up until now, but I can't say I'm familiar with the actual statistics.

NoSaintJoe

shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2022
    Elkhart
    Are you saying you think there was a trend away from braced pistols that had already begun before the ATF started hinting at shutting them down? I thought that they were generally increasing in popularity up until now, but I can't say I'm familiar with the actual statistics.
    Did you miss the title of the thread?

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    I think its just because they are so popular now. I only have one AR that's over 16", so odds are if I'm selling one it'll have a brace on it. AFT can **** off, and I hope I'm not alone on that.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Yes, I did notice it, it was just that the way you phrased the part I quoted made me think you were saying that people were losing interest in braces even before the scare about the ATF possibly changing rules. It sounds like I probably misread you, though, and that's not what you meant?

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    So we are hanging by the fingernails to protect gun rights and you guys think that the robed ones will repeal NFA? Or is it really just a hope?
    I'm not well-versed, legally speaking, so I may not have this 100% accurate, but as I understand it:

The Bruen decision eliminated the 2-step process traditionally used to judge the constitutionality of 2A cases, whereby these cases constitutionality was counter-weighted by how they served the common-good.

Justice Clarence Thomas said that was one step too many, and that the only test should be the trifecta of "text, history, and tradition" of the 2nd Amendment, at the time it was added to the Bill of Rights.

This is a super tough test for gun control to pass.
    1. The text says "shall not be infringed",
    2. At the historical time, gun control wasn't even a thing.
    3. Same with tradition.

.gov will have a very hard time pointing to history and tradition, supporting gun control, dating before 1934s NFA, let alone arguing about the text of the 2A.

Unless they want to point out past laws that only applied to recently free'd slaves, and that still doesn't go back to the time when the BoR was written.

The text/history/tradition process put in place by Thomas has already positively influenced the outcome of some cases.

Although it seems gun control is being shoved down our throats left and right lately, I am cautiously optimistic that Bruen will right a lot of wrongs, eventually.

I think the days of the AFT, NFA, and GCA, are numbered...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I'm not well-versed, legally speaking, so I may not have this 100% accurate, but as I understand it:

The Bruen decision eliminated the 2-step process traditionally used to judge the constitutionality of 2A cases, whereby these cases constitutionality was counter-weighted by how they served the common-good.

Justice Clarence Thomas said that was one step too many, and that the only test should be the trifecta of "text, history, and tradition" of the 2nd Amendment, at the time it was added to the Bill of Rights.

This is a super tough test for gun control to pass.
    1. The text says "shall not be infringed",
    2. At the historical time, gun control wasn't even a thing.
    3. Same with tradition.

.gov will have a very hard time pointing to history and tradition, supporting gun control, dating before 1934s NFA, let alone arguing about the text of the 2A.

Unless they want to point out past laws that only applied to recently free'd slaves, and that still doesn't go back to the time when the BoR was written.

The text/history/tradition process put in place by Thomas has already positively influenced the outcome of some cases.

Although it seems gun control is being shoved down our throats left and right lately, I am cautiously optimistic that Bruen will right a lot of wrongs, eventually.

I think the days of the AFT, NFA, and GCA, are numbered...
    I hope you are right but I do not see the political will to do it. Also these cases usually take years to get to SCOTUS so the calculations depend on conservatives controlling the court. I picture Roberts as another Kennedy like justice so I do not count on him.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You know how you were complaining about attitudes in your intro thread? Snarky replies like this are what cause the snark you are getting back, FYI.

So dont spew the snark if you cant handle others being snarky back.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Like with cancer, the only fix is complete obliteration...

That's a great idea! Too often though, I think we bite off more than we can chew.

Same as saying "get rid of the NFA!" While I agree, we can waste time on this for many years, still it won't get anywhere.

Let's settle for a few small victories. Make progress a little at a time. All the while developing our message to win over most of the other half of the country. The message is everything.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    That's a great idea! Too often though, I think we bite off more than we can chew.

Same as saying "get rid of the NFA!" While I agree, we can waste time on this for many years, still it won't get anywhere.

Let's settle for a few small victories. Make progress a little at a time. All the while developing our message to win over most of the other half of the country. The message is everything.

Are the different approaches mutually exclusive?

We can have multiple fights, some trying to chip away the infringements one at a time, and other's looking to abolish the whole NFA. I'll support both.

Top Bottom