• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Mr Johnson delivered our new safe about 3 hours ago. :rockwoot:

We got a JS-530 which is 1/4 door and 10ga body at 30 wide 24 deep and 60 tall. I picked GM Medium Green Metallic (WA9539 2000's Dark Green Corvette / Mid 2000's Silverado) and silver trim.

I bolted it down with 3/8 lag screws into the 2x12 joists under the floor and applied a Cannon SSL-04 dial light which I ground down so it didn't cover the Johnson logo. Now I will work on creating a LED lighting system and dehumidifier for the inside. Then later I will run an Ethernet cable inside to a NAS drive for data back-up.

I have not finalized the inside, so no inside pictures yet.

DSCN5822_zps9eb47789.png

DSCN5813_zps5095784b.jpg

DSCN5831_zps416c5690.png

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Good idea. I know these safes can have a power connection running through the wall. How do you get the ethernet connection through?

His safes have florescent lighting and dehumidifiers as an option but I asked for just power, so he put an electrical box with outlet in the top right rear of the safe. I also asked him to drill a 1/4 inch hole next to the power cord, and that is where I will run my own cable inside and up to the shelf inside and plug everything in.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Ok, let me be lazy. After this Christmas we will be gun rich and safe poor.

How long and how much?
    I initially ordered at the March 1500... BUT I had to delay construction due to slower than expected savings.

Total was $1617.25

$1395 for the safe
    $125 delivery and install
    $95 taxes

This thing is quite literally built like tank. I got to see the inner workings before the peg board went up.

Most cheap safes fold the thin body steel over and the bolts hold againt that, some nicer safes weld in a extra layer or two for rigidity... Johnson safes have 1/2 inch solid bar stock welded around the entire door frame AND extra metal weldind from the door frame to the body creating a reinforced box-type frame.

Also the bolts are not bolted to thin sheet metal strips like cheap safes, the cams and arms are 1/4 inch thick and the bolts are fully welded to 10 gauge steel bars that are riding on metal braces so the bolts will not fold when the door is pried.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I initially ordered at the March 1500... BUT I had to delay construction due to slower than expected savings.

Total was $1617.25

$1395 for the safe
    $95 taxes

This thing is quite literally built like tank. I got to see the inner workings before the peg board went up.

Most cheap safes fold the thin body steel over and the bolts hold againt that, some nicer safes weld in a extra layer or two for rigidity... Johnson safes have 1/2 inch solid bar stock welded around the entire door frame AND extra metal weldind from the door frame to the body creating a reinforced box-type frame.

Also the bolts are not bolted to thin sheet metal strips like cheap safes, the cams and arms are 1/4 inch thick and the bolts are fully welded to 10 gauge steel bars that are riding on metal braces so the bolts will not fold when the door is pried.

That is really good.

I was fortunate and stumbled onto a quality designed safe many years ago at Galyan's. It has served me well and I now have a high expectation for my next safe. It will very likely be a Johnson.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    What keeps them from sawing through your floor and carting it out? I'd want it bolted to concrete or metal secured into concrete under your floor. Just curious. Nice safe!!

FishnHunt

Expert
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    Total was $1617.25

$1395 for the safe
    $95 taxes
    Wow, that sounds really good. About what kind of capacity do you get with that size? (I realize that may be more dependent on how the interior is set up, I'm just looking for a rough idea).

K_W

Grandmaster
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Wow, that sounds really good. About what kind of capacity do you get with that size? (I realize that may be more dependent on how the interior is set up, I'm just looking for a rough idea).

He will build the inside however you want it. I asked for 11 inch usable width shelves and 3 rows of 4 long gun slots.

I'm taking an inside picture now.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    The shelves are nice 3/4 inch plywood, not particle or chip board like cheap safes, so they can handle some weight, like a fire resistant document box or an loaded ammo can, without sagging.

DSCN5831_zps416c5690.png

Last edited:

FishnHunt

Expert
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    The shelves are nice 3/4 inch plywood, not particle or chip board like cheap safes, so they can handle some weight, like a fire resistant document box or an loaded ammo can, without sagging.

DSCN5831_zps416c5690.png
    Awesome, thank you for the picture! I now know where my safe will be coming from when I finally get into my house.

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    What keeps them from sawing through your floor and carting it out? I'd want it bolted to concrete or metal secured into concrete under your floor. Just curious. Nice safe!!

... an 8 ft drop to the concrete basement floor below, where the police will find you pinned under the still locked and closed safe and a 400lb wood dresser. The joist's are structural, if sawed through, the floor would likely collapse. I know wood is not ideal, but they would be really stupid to cut into the joist.

My homeowners insurance would buy me a new hardwood floor, a new Johnson safe, and a new dresser; while they spend their sentence in a wheelchair in the prison hospital ward.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom