• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    So I have a new DPMS sportical. And I'm putting some rounds down range, and I happen to look at the ejector side of the upper and it looks like the brass is hitting it. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    Is it hitting the part in the red circle?:
    gallery_1_1_21666_zpsdcce361e.gif

If so, you are good. That is a brass/shell deflector. That is what it is for.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Sportical? So it's a slick side?

It's normal

There's no shell deflector to bounce off so depending on the load it probably would rub the side of the receiver

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I believe the sportical doesn't have shell deflector or forward assist (as a money saving effort in building the rifle). It's normal for brass to hit behind the port, that's why they originally added the angled brass deflector in the 2nd post above (red). This kept the brass from flying too far back and gave it a more sideward travel, especially with higher pressure 5.56 ammo.
    As a lefty, I don't think I could realistically use a slick-side ar, but the prices sure are appealing on the m&p 15 sport and the dpms sportical. I'll end up assembling my next AR, but these are good guns, especially considering the value/price.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    [video=youtube;cnovh3w2qRM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnovh3w2qRM[/video]

With out the deflector, yes it will sometime bounce off of the receiver......

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The angle of ejection is easily changed. The ejector spring is longer than it needs to be on the AR rifle. The spring is cheap and easily replaced if you shorten it too much.

Top Bottom