• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I think yes but i figured it wouldnt hurt to ask those with more knowledge before I drop it. The recent snow storm was too much for her. My late great grandmother planted them on the property so there is some wishfulness that it could heal but id rather drop it before it dies. IMG_1681.jpeg IMG_1682.jpeg

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    this is what comes to mind. Animals and plants have a serious toughness when actually put to the test.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I’ll cut up the fallen part and see how she does. I’m a little peeved because two summers ago I trimmed them all to get my mower underneath and ripped all the vines off of it. It took a year at least for them to green back up and look healthy. Then we get a random snow storm where the snow doesn’t last 1 day and it takes half of her down.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Had the biggest lower branch on a Bradford Pear tear off similar to that a few years ago. Only thing I did was spray the wound with insecticide and pick out any broken chunks of wood I could pull off. The tree’s doing fine (unfortunately).

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Cleaned it up after lunch and grabbed more pictures to show the wound a little clearer. Is there a special spray or something to protect the wound. Off memory it’s about 3”-4”deep into the tree. Xl carhartt vest and stihl chainsaw with 18” bar for comparison
    AC3702BF-6F25-4ED0-A973-34EB95D3D742.jpeg
    59202686-46B9-4B9A-9B81-4C1FD6592185.jpeg

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Maybe fasten a small sealed metal pipe with mementos inside to the wound and leave instructions for your great-great-grandchildren to dig the time capsule out of the trunk years from now when the tree is eventually cut down or dies? If they’re only using digital currency by then, stick some cash in there and maybe it’ll be worth something as an antique!

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    If you lose the tree and want to maintain the sentiment involved, cut the trunk into log size pieces and take it to a sawmill and or hobby woodworker. My BIL made candle holders out of 4x4's from an old family grainery, and gave them out as Xmas gifts to all the family members.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    It's a red cedar. You're good to go, no sealing or any other work necessary. It may yet outlive you, though that is a bad break.

The cambium lost there was largely supporting that limb, and the tree should be able to "reroute" nutrients to support everything above that injury. There's a lot of trunk left.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Maybe fasten a small sealed metal pipe with mementos inside to the wound and leave instructions for your great-great-grandchildren to dig the time capsule out of the trunk years from now when the tree is eventually cut down or dies? If they’re only using digital currency by then, stick some cash in there and maybe it’ll be worth something as an antique!
    Neat idea, but won't work for this tree; it's too wide a break on that diameter trunk for a cedar to heal over completely.

Top Bottom