• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    my understanding in my research is that the two ways don't need as much force for the same amount of splitting because the thinner profile of the knife does more cutting than wedging, and a 16 on a two way is like a 20 ton on a normal... anything larger than what it can handle and I would probably just throw it in the bonfire pit anyways. Seems to be a pretty good price for a two way cutter.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    Don't know the specifics of this one. However, my dad went in on one that will tip and split vertically. Makes it very nice when there are pieces big enough to be hard to manage. I can ask him what he got. The guy he went in with only heats with wood in northern wisconsin and the machine is like new after many years.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Looks a little light, but it depends on what, how big, and how much you will be splitting with it

I was thinking the same thing. I had to look and see what size mine it. It is a 27 ton Husky. I bought it from Tractor supply about 15 years ago. It seems Tractor Supply has a different line but looks like it is by the same Husky company. (??) The 27 ton so far will split or will cut through anything. I have split through some bureled Oak that really surprised me. I have split diameters well over 4 feet with mine. Yea some big freakin stuff. Makes the splitter seem like a toy.

On the other hand 16 ton seems a little towards a small medium size. Depends what you are using it for. Cleaner medium size wood, or is it going to be a something used more often and on bigger stuff??? If so I would step up a little bigger. I would give that one a plus for the shelves on the side. They are very handy when splitting wood. Some place to stack larger pieces (halved) that need to be resplit.

As far as horizontal/ vertical splitting, I will use mine vertical to split large pieces into some thing more manageable. (24" or larger.) Then flip it back horizontal. I bet I use it horizontal 99% of the time. My back is pretty rough, but I am better at lifting things than on my knees working on the ground.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    I think this model is close to the Husky I have. Couple hundred more than the first one you showed. Plus tax... But it does look like a stronger frame. I think I recall somewhere they have 10% off coupons for Tractor supply. Maybe see them in the mail???

Looking at the reviews it looks like is has a different engine. I would idle mine down to split wood and turn it up if there was something very large.

CountyLine® 28 Ton Log Splitter - Tractor Supply Co.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    The wedge going both ways ... (There has got to be an INGO interp of that). ... How fast can you really go and stay safe? Just something to think about.

As far as on a tractor, would you rather have the tractor to help move wood while splitting?

Just my .02 worth.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    As far as on a tractor, would you rather have the tractor to help move wood while splitting?

I have been trying to decide between a 3pt and a stand alone as well. DP makes a good point about having your tractor free to use. Another point for a stand alone is that if you need to split wood off site, much easier to hitch a stand alone up versus taking the whole tractor.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    The wedge going both ways ... (There has got to be an INGO interp of that). ... How fast can you really go and stay safe? Just something to think about.
    IMHO, this is important to point out^^^

The dual acting wedge, 2-way splitter, whatever you want to call it isn't a miracle tool. You still have to do your part and I've found that I can't do my part any faster than the ram can retract on my single-action splitter built in 1985 that cost me $0. Unless you have 2 people operating it you won't realize any increase in efficiency due to the splitter.

Steps of splitting wood A) starting with a new round: retrieve rounds (from ground, truck etc), place on splitter table, split, remove split and toss aside for later stacking, set aside for additional splitting or stack, reposition round and split again. On the last split you toss aside 2 splits and go retrieve another round. At no point is the retrieving another round going to be faster than the auto-retract of the ram. And not very often will the toss split aside and reposition round step be faster.

FWIW, all my winter heat comes from wood burning. I CSS (cut/split/stack) all my own wood. I've cut/split/stacked over 10 cords (full cords) of wood in the last 2 months.

If you're willing to wait, I have a feeling Menards will have the DHT 27 ton on sale again this Black Friday. The DHT (Dirty Hand-Tools) is a very reputable splitter, 27 ton with Kohler 6 or 6.5 hp engine, splitting table, and horizontal/vertical operation. Last year's BF price was $699 after rebate and IMHO it was a steal...

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Here another option.... and for the big rounds I can just lower the 3pt hitch all the way down.

Brave 20 Ton 3 Point Tractor Log Splitter - Dual Split TMH2015

Too much tractor in the way on that one. Wedge needs to be at the back. If you can find one that the wheels pivot to put the support beam on the ground it's kind of the best of both worlds. You can roll the huge stuff up on an 8" beam. If that isn't an option the vertical or convertible ones are ok. I personally wouldn't go less than 20 tons and I prefer a real wedge with some width at the back.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    If you're willing to wait, I have a feeling Menards will have the DHT 27 ton on sale again this Black Friday. The DHT (Dirty Hand-Tools) is a very reputable splitter, 27 ton with Kohler 6 or 6.5 hp engine, splitting table, and horizontal/vertical operation. Last year's BF price was $699 after rebate and IMHO it was a steal...

Sounds like an odd brand... Menards usually has odd brands... But for a 27 ton, that is one heck of a deal!!! Usually you won't touch one for under a grand.

CCC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2014
    Northeast
    I have used a Chinese made splitter from Rural King with a two way wedge. It is was about half the price of the amazon model you linked to. It split everything I had tried.
    Also, very easy to clear wood stuck to the wedge, unlike a stationary wedge.
    And the two way splitters are more compact (shorter) than other splitters. The wedge is on top of the cylinder, not in front of it like most others.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Sounds like an odd brand... Menards usually has odd brands...
    Quite the contrary actually: it's not a brand they usually carry, they ONLY had it for Black Friday. As a matter of fact, there was a lot of confusion because it wasn't in their store or on their website at all so people thought it was one of the usual no-name brands that they usually have, but when Black Friday rolled around it was a real-deal DHT splitter.

Regarding the DHT brand, they are fairly new but they have quickly earned a reputation as being one of the best. All of the big-box stores (except Menards) carries them and they continuously ranked fairly high in quality and satisfaction.

I know I'm starting to sound like I work for them; I don't, I just looked into it after the sale was over and found out that DHT splitters have quite a following. Looking at the model in the store on Black Friday I was impressed by the level of detail and quality (it wasn't some cheapo POS, it was VERY well built).

But for a 27 ton, that is one heck of a deal!!! Usually you won't touch one for under a grand.

You've got that right! At the time I passed it up because I had just been given a free log splitter; sometimes I wish I would have bought one and sold my 30 year-old freebie on craigslist for $400. For some reason use log-splitters sell for a pretty-penny on CL...

Top Bottom