Is the Sig P365 ready to bet your life on it for EDC?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Yep, and that's what the Sig CS person said as well, and said that it was a bit surprising because of that. I'm not a reloader, but definitely have heard some brands of primer are harder and some are softer. I assume softer would make them easier to detonate, and should not be as much of an issue as some harder primers, but we'll see.
    I've been using Winchester small pistol primers and Remington #5 1/2 (magnum) primers interchangeably in my 9mm reloads that I shoot through my Sig P320 Compact and 365. The firing pin impressions are a small dimple compared to other pistols, but I've never had any FTF. I've used Wolf primers in other calibers and they seem a lot harder than most primers.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've used Wolf primers in other calibers and they seem a lot harder than most primers.

Wolf is what I use to test a revolver or one after a spring change. I don't have any mechanical way to verify new springs are the weight they claim to be, but if they'll touch off Wolf they'll touch off anything.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I don't own a P365, but did shoot some of my Federal HST 147 gr. through a member's P365 and they went flawlessly. It has been a few months ago now, but I think it was only a mag or two of the HST, so it is a small sample size for sure.

All I use is federal primers (and federal HST) , though in an interesting development my father picked up 2 December 2018 P365's and they definitely leave smaller primer indentations that my March 2018 does. I am hoping to shoot both this weekend and get some pictures and video.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have a sig mosquito. It failed every (4) mags.
    I called Sig. I talked to Sig.
    I returned it $50.00 each time X2.
    Still malfunctioned.
    I called sig.
    I was told to purchase "GERMAN CC-I 40 GRAIN".
    My U.S. of A. ammo was inferior.
    that should solve the problem. She hung up.

How much research did you do before buying it? I looked into the Mosquito about 7 years ago and quickly forgot about it when everything I read about it was bad. From my research back then I don't think that Sig has anything to do with that gun but put their name on it. I am also very confused by they even got mixed up with it. I sent in a p238 in to Sig that I bought used that had a few issues, they charged me very little, replaced a bunch of parts and it has been perfect ever since

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    All I use is federal primers (and federal HST) , though in an interesting development my father picked up 2 December 2018 P365's and they definitely leave smaller primer indentations that my March 2018 does. I am hoping to shoot both this weekend and get some pictures and video.

Interested to hear the results. Weather dependent, I hope to get out and put some different ammo through my March, 2018 buiild P365 again this weekend. I'll likely run some Blazer Brass, some of the brass cased Federal I just picked up at RK, and maybe something else from the stash. Any light strikes that cause a failure will likely result in me contacting Sig again and sending it in for service.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Sig wanted their name on the Mosquito to collect on the profits.
    At the time they publicized the Mosquito as SIG Sauer's.
    They put it on the open market.
    Now that there is a problem.
    Well It really is not Sig Sauer responsibility.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Interested to hear the results. Weather dependent, I hope to get out and put some different ammo through my March, 2018 buiild P365 again this weekend. I'll likely run some Blazer Brass, some of the brass cased Federal I just picked up at RK, and maybe something else from the stash. Any light strikes that cause a failure will likely result in me contacting Sig again and sending it in for service.
    I don't recall if you cleaned the striker mechanism. Cleaning the striker mechanism with something like Gun Scrubber might be worthwhile. I would also look at the channel and firing pin hole in the slide with a good light and magnification, if possible to make sure that nothing is slowing down the speed of the striker.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don't recall if you cleaned the striker mechanism. Cleaning the striker mechanism with something like Gun Scrubber might be worthwhile. I would also look at the channel and firing pin hole in the slide with a good light and magnification, if possible to make sure that nothing is slowing down the speed of the striker.

I did it earlier this week (haven't shot it since). Cleaned the channel with some qtip like cleaners I have and used some rubbing alcohol (figured it would clean well without leaving a residue and would dry quickly). Wiped off the striker mechanism itself but didn't spray it down with anything.

We'll see how it goes. May head out late this afternoon or early tomorrow to shoot it again.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Took the P365 (along with the 43 & the Shield 2.0) to MCF&G today, after having cleaned the striker channel earlier this week. Didn't have any more Federal aluminum case which had encountered a couple of light strikes between the last 2 range trips with the P365. Did have some of the brass case Federal ammo that I got at RK on Thursday, and some Blazer Brass.

Put 154 rounds (104 of the new Federal, and 50 Blazer Brass) through the P365 without a hiccup. This coupled with the previous boxes of S&B brass cased 124 grain I had run through it without issue, definitely leading me to say it was the ammo (even though I had 2 variables -- striker channel cleaned and no additional aluminum Federal to run through it). I'll continue to watch it as I would with any gun, but for now since it has been flawless with all the brass cased ammo I have run through it, I am satisfied.

So satisfied in fact, that I only put 2 mags through the Shield and didn't pull the 43 out of the case today.

I'm liking this P365 alot. I may have to pick up another one, if I find the right deal, to satisfy my OCD about stacking carry guns deep.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    MAC put out an interesting vid on the G43X. Around the 19:00 mark, he references how much he likes the 365 and it's design innovation. He also laments over why he cannot trust the P365 for a carry gun...

[video=youtube;nS0taZpy-uE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS0taZpy-uE[/video]

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    MAC put out an interesting vid on the G43X. Around the 19:00 mark, he references how much he likes the 365 and it's design innovation. He also laments over why he cannot trust the P365 for a carry gun...

[video=youtube;nS0taZpy-uE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS0taZpy-uE[/video]

His videos on the 365 have been out for quite some time. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone else having as many problems with their 365 as he has had. I don't doubt his veracity, but do think that his experience is an anomaly. He sure seems "snake bit" as far as the 365 is concerned. I would never consider the Glock 43 for a replacement for my Sig P 365.

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    I switched to a P365 a few months ago after carrying a 9mm Shield for about 4 or 5yrs and don't regret it for a minute. The Shield is a fantastic pistol but with the capacity of the 365 it's tough to beat. I've got about 600rds through mine currently and have had a singular FTE but I'm not holding that against the pistol, it was around round 175ish of 300 within about 30min or so. I'm contributing to either a possibly light load on the cartridge or just a tiring grip on my part. Either way, I love the P365 and carry it IWB regularly and it's easily the most comfortable pistol I've concealed.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I picked a P365 up today. I think I am really going to like it. Date on the box is January 23rd 2019. It is a bit cold out to do any serious testing, but I can't seem to buy a firearm without immediately loading up the mags and shooting it as soon as I get it home. So mine has 20 flawless rounds through it. :rockwoot::laugh:. Sure hope those mags get easier to load. Wow!! Talk about stiff springs.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Nope. I'm done with modern SIG. Indian MIM.....no thanks.

Can't wait until S&W, Glock, or Walther come out with a similar model that is reliable. Until then, I'll keep carrying my Shield.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I got my hands on a P365 for the first time today. I was impressed with the size and feel of it.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Nope. I'm done with modern SIG. Indian MIM.....no thanks.

Can't wait until S&W, Glock, or Walther come out with a similar model that is reliable. Until then, I'll keep carrying my Shield.

As long as your Shield isn't one of the ones in the recall, you should be good to go!

:)

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I see what you did there.

The Shield recal was all gen 1. The 2.0's are fine as far as I know.

If he's just referring to the trigger bar safety not resetting on early release 2013 shields.....that was 6 years ago and S&W did a good job with the recall. Post recall and fixed handguns function and are proven reliable at this point. They do not have glaring design flaws and S&W hasn't cut corners on sourcing (unlike Sig). Anyway, a trigger bar safety failure still allows the handgun to function. It would still require the trigger to be pulled to fire, so it's not totally unsafe as long as you aren't a moron.

The P365 on the other hand is a poorly designed handgun that Sig decided to further FUBAR by cost cutting on sourcing of parts. They have a bad design that causes a lot of striker drag, and then they use Indian MIM strikers on top of that. They aren't adequately fixing the problem. And if this failure mode happens and you actually need to rely on your handgun.....well, it's not going to go bang when you need it to. That's a MUCH worse failure mode than what S&W Shields had.

Sig is a garbage company ever since Ron Cohen took the helm. They produce junk. They knowingly cut corners in R&D as well as material and sourcing.

Top Bottom