Is the Sig P365 ready to bet your life on it for EDC?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Kind of surprising on Sig CS. MOst of the people that have had to use it on one of the Sig forums brag on how easy they were to work with.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    Kind of surprising on Sig CS. MOst of the people that have had to use it on one of the Sig forums brag on how easy they were to work with.

Yeah, I have needed them twice over the years, and both times they were fantastic.

One time was for a new MSH for my P938 that was not broken by the way, I just heard that they had redesigned it and I wanted to new version. No problem, taken care of immediately.

The second time was when I broke the sear spring in my P226 Legion SAO. Once again, repaired no questions asked, they even paid shipping both ways for both situations.

I am sure that there are situations for EVERY company where someone in CS is having a bad day, or when the customer calling in is being less than reasonable (or shouts, etc.) where things can go south in a hurry.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I need to ask.
    Has anyone been involved in a street shoot out.
    Where you needed more than 5 rounds.By then everyone is running their ass out of there.
    A second mag in your pocket should cover any possibly.
    Why spend many dollars to leave a gun you feel great with.
    Just for one with a couple more (How Many) rounds.
    I tend to agree with you!! but you do know gun guys like to buy guns right?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I need to ask.
    Has anyone been involved in a street shoot out.
    Where you needed more than 5 rounds.By then everyone is running their ass out of there.
    A second mag in your pocket should cover any possibly.
    Why spend many dollars to leave a gun you feel great with.
    Just for one with a couple more (How Many) rounds.

Yes, and no. And I've kept track of right at 100 self-defense cases in random violence (vs targeted) and is why I'm not as impressed by capacity as many. Nothing wrong with more ammo, but nothing critical. Funny how 7+1 1911s were God's gift to fighting men for decades, yet a 7+1 Shield will get you killed in the streets. That said, I carry a Glock 17. I'd not cry if I went back to a Sig P220, though.

My last dealing with Sig customer service has turned me off of any offering from them. Besides, the market is saturated with other proven options.

I'm actually surprised to hear that. I've never had anything but success with them. When I broke my decocking lever I told them I bought it used, it was over 40k on roundcount and likely had hundreds of thousands of presses in dry fire. They sent me a replacement for free. They replaced my front sight for free when the fiber optic came out. I've sent several guns to the custom shop and always been satisfied with my dealings with them.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I've heard similar complaints about Sig customer service. Would you please elaborate?

Had ftf issues with a P229 that never got worked out and they wouldn't honor a rebate promotion they were running. Which was very odd. They had no record of my serial number. Left me scratching my head.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I've heard similar complaints about Sig customer service. Would you please elaborate?

I have a sig mosquito. It failed every (4) mags.
    I called Sig. I talked to Sig.
    I returned it $50.00 each time X2.
    Still malfunctioned.
    I called sig.
    I was told to purchase "GERMAN CC-I 40 GRAIN".
    My U.S. of A. ammo was inferior.
    that should solve the problem. She hung up.

Injess

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2019
    Columbus
    Still malfunctioned.
    I called sig.

I've never expected a 22lr pistol or any 22lr firearm to be 100% reliable.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Still malfunctioned.
    I called sig.
    I'm sure that the customer service rep gets many calls every day about the Mosquito. From what I have heard from other Mosquito owners, the pistol has been a lemon and is still a lemon. I really can't believe that it is still marketed. I have been searching for a plinking .22 and I never considered the Mosquito. I recently acquired a S&W M&P .22 Compact. I ran several different brands of standard velocity ammo through it. The only brand it didn't like was SK Pistol Match. It wouldn't function reliably without the suppressor, but 100% with the suppressor installed. It absolutely loves CCI Mini Mag 36 grain, copper washed hollow point. Sorry, but I'd ditch the Mosquito, if I were you.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm sure that the customer service rep gets many calls every day about the Mosquito. From what I have heard from other Mosquito owners, the pistol has been a lemon and is still a lemon. I really can't believe that it is still marketed. I have been searching for a plinking .22 and I never considered the Mosquito. I recently acquired a S&W M&P .22 Compact. I ran several different brands of standard velocity ammo through it. The only brand it didn't like was SK Pistol Match. It wouldn't function reliably without the suppressor, but 100% with the suppressor installed. It absolutely loves CCI Mini Mag 36 grain, copper washed hollow point. Sorry, but I'd ditch the Mosquito, if I were you.

Agreed, my M&P 22 Compact has been great. I really like that gun.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    https://sigtalk.com/p365/288993-p365-production-info-project-20.html#post4742844

Interesting data set that shows a given issue alongside the build date of the particular pistol. There are some definite trends on when strikers were being broken and when dud night sights were shipped. If you do choose to purchase used, it might be of some interest.

Checked out some of that info and a few other threads over there and saw some reports there of light primer strikes. Some folks said during break in, others seem to have sent the pistol back, not tons of definitive reports of light primer strike and took this action and it fixed it.

My recently picked up P365 with a March, 2018 build date has had a couple of light primer strikes on Federal aluminum case ammo only so far on 2 different range trips (in firing probably 150 - 200 rounds of it) and none while firing probably 100 rounds of S&B 124 grain brass case. Both rounds of the Federal that exhibited the failure to fire on the first hit, showed a primer strike but did not fire. Both were put back in the mag and fired on the second attempt.

I called Sig today and spoke to them briefly. This evening I removed the striker and cleaned the striker channel just to rule gunk in the channel out, and to inspect the striker.

Unfortunately I think I'm out of Federal aluminum case, but will run some other federal, and some Blazer Brass, etc through it this weekend if I get a chance. Any light strikes at all and it will go back to Sig (they indicated they would provide a shipping label, etc).

I'll update with more info once I have it.

I should say the rest of that case of Federal aluminum case was run through my Shield 2.0, M&P Compact 2.0 and Glock 43 without any light primer strikes or other hiccups.

I want this pistol to be perfect as it can definitely pound the steel plates and seems to shoot tight, especially with the extra finger hold on the 12 round mags. Concerns with even a couple of light primer strikes with Federal primers as I would likely carry Federal HSTs in it, once I get confident in it.

Last edited:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Checked out some of that info and a few other threads over there and saw some reports there of light primer strikes. Some folks said during break in, others seem to have sent the pistol back, not tons of definitive reports of light primer strike and took this action and it fixed it.

My recently picked up P365 with a March, 2018 build date has had a couple of light primer strikes on Federal aluminum case ammo only so far on 2 different range trips (in firing probably 150 - 200 rounds of it) and none while firing probably 100 rounds of S&B 124 grain brass case. Both rounds of the Federal that exhibited the failure to fire on the first hit, showed a primer strike but did not fire. Both were put back in the mag and fired on the second attempt.

I called Sig today and spoke to them briefly. This evening I removed the striker and cleaned the striker channel just to rule gunk in the channel out, and to inspect the striker.

Unfortunately I think I'm out of Federal aluminum case, but will run some other federal, and some Blazer Brass, etc through it this weekend if I get a chance. Any light strikes at all and it will go back to Sig (they indicated they would provide a shipping label, etc).

I should say the rest of that case of Federal aluminum case was run through my Shield 2.0, M&P Compact 2.0 and Glock 43 without any light primer strikes or other hiccups.

I want this pistol to be perfect as it can definitely pound the steel plates and seems to shoot tight, especially with the extra finger hold on the 12 round mags.
    I would blame the combination of that ammo and the P365, they don't like each other. See my previous post below.

I'm at 914 rds with my P365, production date of 6/20/18. I've had 2 failures total, both were with Federal 115gr Aluminum case ammo getting stuck in the chamber. Zero issues with any brass or nickel cased ammo. The empty cases that got stuck were later placed into several other 9mm barrels (FNH & CZ were 2 of them) at home to see if they would drop in or not, they did not drop in either and actually had to be pryed back out after pushing slightly with thumb pressure. Spent brass & nickel cases dropped right in all barrels just fine. Why did I mention that? Because I wouldn't be giving an honest experience of my gun if I didn't.
    In my humble opinion, I would say the P365 is good to go. I would advise getting a newer production version that has all the current rolling upgrades (many others have mentioned this) and I would run it through it's paces in the manner you deem acceptable for a carry gun.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I would blame the combination of that ammo and the P365, they don't like each other. See my previous post below.

That's where I was leaning, but being a carry gun, I was a bit concerned, and seems likely Sig would probably replace the striker with the latest greatest. My main concern is does federal plinking ammo use different primers than federal defensive ammo? I'll probably carry HSTs.

Last edited:

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    That's where I was leaning, but being a carry gun, I was a bit concerned, and seems likely Sig would probably replace the striker with the latest greatest. My main concern is does federal plinking ammo use different primers than federal defensive ammo? I'll probably carry HSTs.
    I don't know on the primers. I run 147gr HST's for defense ammo. No issues in my P365 with it, I'd guesstimate 50-100 rounds of it.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don't know on the primers. I run 147gr HST's for defense ammo. No issues in my P365 with it, I'd guesstimate 50-100 rounds of it.

Good to know.

I'll run it again with a few other types of ammo (hopefully this weekend). If no light primer strikes, I'll continue to watch it. Any light primer strikes on another brand of ammo, and I'll contact Sig.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN

I want this pistol to be perfect as it can definitely pound the steel plates and seems to shoot tight, especially with the extra finger hold on the 12 round mags. Concerns with even a couple of light primer strikes with Federal primers as I would likely carry Federal HSTs in it, once I get confident in it.

I have some of that stuff if you’d like to continue testing with it. Just PM me and we’ll work it out. I’m in the Brownsburg area.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    There is a good chance that Federal uses magnum primers for their personal defense ammo. That being said, it is commonly thought by reloaders that Federal primers are the "softest" of the big three.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    There is a good chance that Federal uses magnum primers for their personal defense ammo. That being said, it is commonly thought by reloaders that Federal primers are the "softest" of the big three.

Yep, and that's what the Sig CS person said as well, and said that it was a bit surprising because of that. I'm not a reloader, but definitely have heard some brands of primer are harder and some are softer. I assume softer would make them easier to detonate, and should not be as much of an issue as some harder primers, but we'll see.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I don't own a P365, but did shoot some of my Federal HST 147 gr. through a member's P365 and they went flawlessly. It has been a few months ago now, but I think it was only a mag or two of the HST, so it is a small sample size for sure.

Top Bottom