Is the 10/22 Takedown worth the extra cost?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mitchell0481

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Crown point
    I got one, I think it is pretty neat rifle. If its worth it to you to have a break down Pack rifle, then yes it is worth it. If you never plan to "pack" it and you have plenty of room to store a full size, then no. There are limited stock and barrel option right now, so you get what you get. If you want to customize, just save your money and get the standard 10/22.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Since you asked........Me! A takedown 10/22 rifle is an awkward pistol. No more. No less. :twocents:

How is it a pistol? Maybe you mean a Charger ?

I have a couple takedowns and many 10-22 standards and even the Charger. They are cool. But if you are not going to take advantage of the take down part then I would save the money and get the standard. Heck, get them both! lol

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Since you asked........Me! A takedown 10/22 rifle is an awkward pistol. No more. No less. :twocents:

I don't get it. How is it a pistol?

Ruger-10-22-22LR-Takedown-Rifle.jpg

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    OK, I'll try to explain what I meant by saying it's an awkward pistol. Try to follow along. It's a rifle. It's in two pieces. You can't shoot it without putting the pieces together after you remove them from the nifty little tote they are in. My opinion: You are better off carrying a pistol. If you want a rifle, you're better off carrying a rifle with a sling. The takedown is a novelty item.

For whoever thought I was talking about a Charger..........Yep that's an awkward pistol. That's why it comes with a bipod. Mine is converted to .17 HM2 and I guarantee it will outshoot the takedown.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll try to do better next time. :dunno:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    To me, it makes the ever-popular 10/22 even more appealing. It you want something to customize a lot, then start with the cheapest 10/22 model possible. But if you want something that fits in a smaller package or backpack, I don't think you can do better than the TakeDown. If you look at the Henry Survival Rifle or Chiappa Litte Badger, I think the 10/22 has MUCH more to offer and is worth the extra cost.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I bought one awhile back and have yet to shoot it. I don't know what a regular 10-22 sells for, I wasn't really in the market for another .22, but I instantly saw the appeal of the Takedown. It fits under my seat in the Ram, will also fit in a small tractor cab and not rattle around, and the sights are good enough to knock rabbits and crows out of the garden with. It snaps together quick, so I don't see the issue there.

I'm hoping Ruger starts releasing different front ends for it. Then it would be like an AR lower, one "gun" becomes multiple purpose with an upper (front-er?) swap.

Is it worth it? I dunno, but I wouldn't have bought a regular 10-22.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It may matter to you, it may not, but if you plan to scope the rifle your options will be pretty limited because of the bag size. Again that may or may not figure into your decision making process.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    OK, I'll try to explain what I meant by saying it's an awkward pistol. Try to follow along. It's a rifle. It's in two pieces. You can't shoot it without putting the pieces together after you remove them from the nifty little tote they are in. My opinion: You are better off carrying a pistol. If you want a rifle, you're better off carrying a rifle with a sling. The takedown is a novelty item.

For whoever thought I was talking about a Charger..........Yep that's an awkward pistol. That's why it comes with a bipod. Mine is converted to .17 HM2 and I guarantee it will outshoot the takedown.

Sorry for the confusion. I'll try to do better next time. :dunno:

Okay. I will try to explain why I think it's not an awkward pistol. Try to follow along.

Beginning in the 1890's (right about the time of bicycles and train travel) there became a market for long guns that broke down. Mostly .22's but also some model 92 Winchesters, Model 97 Winchesters, and all model 12 Winchesters, along with many Marlin lever guns. A semi automatic pistol is in two pieces when you remove the magazine, but that doesn't stop people from using them effeciently. They just put the loaded magazine in before they use them. Same with the TD 10/22, You put it together BEFORE you use it.

A "novelty" is something like a pet rock or Vanilla Ice...A short term flash in the pan. Takedown long arms have a hundred year old plus history in this country which (my opinion) takes them out of the "novelty" genre...I know in this day and age of tacticool, zombies, OC at the Wal Mart so you can "educate" people, etc... that there is something "quaint" about a firearm that can remain stashed behind the seat of a truck and doesn't scream "I AM READY FOR THE APOCALPYSE" to casual passerbyes (I removed the Ruger logo from my carry bag). Most people I know, myself included, have a handgun on them 24/7 regardless of where they are...There is never any moment in that 10 seconds it takes to put my 10/22 together after we arrive at our farm when I am unarmed. I know of no one that doesn't put their takedown long arm together before they go to use it...I think the image you have in your head is someone hiking with the 10/22 in the bag and not getting it out until they see a squirrel and I do not think that is the case. The folks I know that have them, put them together after they reach their destination, whether that is hunting, camping, or just a trip to the range...They also make tents that takedown, fishing rods that take down, bows that takedown etc....None of these are considered novelties...It's just that sometimes you don't step out of your front door with your tent already set up because you know it's a hundred miles to your destination and it would be flapping in the back of your truck the whole way to the campground.

To say that a takedown long gun, be it a Winchester 1890, Marlin 39A, Winchester Model 12, Model 1897, AR 15 (many guys transport theirs in two pieces to not draw attention to themsleves when they are loading up the vehicle to go to the range), Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Browning Citori, Browning Superposed, any side by side shotgun, Savage 24, etc... are novelties just because they have the option to take them down really eliminates some of the greatest firearm designs ever made.

This is offered solely in my opinion and I am in no way stating that you are wrong. I am just saying if you close the door to a weapon just because it was designed in the time of planes, trains, and automobiles, with the option of a takedown feature, you are really closing the door to some greatest gun designs of the 20th century, as my list above has shown.

Sincerely,

The Biggest A-Hole in Southern Indiana

(I hope I still am. There are some folks trying to take the title from me but with posts like this I think I may be able to hang onto it a while longer:):)

Last edited:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have one and dearly love it. you can break it down for easy storage, I can even easily carry it on my motorcycle. I did add the Williams Firesights to mine, they greatly improve the sighting on it, IMO.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It may matter to you, it may not, but if you plan to scope the rifle your options will be pretty limited because of the bag size. Again that may or may not figure into your decision making process.

You can always use a different bag. Or modify this bag. Or use quick release rings. Lot's of options.

The gun is great for it's intended purpose. plus it's just flat out neat! You can do a lot with it. Lot's of the standard accessories work on the TD. The gun has it's uses. plus it is the easiest rifle I have to transport. Comes with it's own carrying case and fit behind my seat.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    It's a nice novelty item if you are looking for novelty or a collection piece. Other than that, the rifle is useless until you take it out of its fancy bag (what's the bag for anyway?) and put it together. Storage is a matter of opinion...long and slender or short and fat. I would agree with other posts that putting a sling on it and sticking it in a sleeve it much more easier and faster to bring into service, unless you have a pistol. A regular 10/22 and an AR are easy to throw behind my truck seat. When I have backpacked (in non-bear country), its easy to sling the rifle around my shoulder and carry an SR22 in a Fobus. Just IMO...

Top Bottom