• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Seeing that you can't look very tacticool wearing ear muffs while shopping at Wal-Mart, one wonders if concealed carry of a silenced (legally) pistol was legal?

Seriously, anyone ever have to shoot a carry gun with no ear protection? Do yer ears still work as before?

Richard

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I always load subsonic rounds in my carry guns.

They are still loud as hell without ear protection, especially in an enclosed/indoor type environment but they are still not as damaging to eardrums as supersonic rounds are.

Anyway a silenced weapon would be difficult to conceal due to it's extended length, but I do not think there are any laws forbiding it.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    A subsonic round in an enclosed space is louder than a supersonic round fired outside.

You have solid walls to contain the pressure and slam it back into your ear. Shooting someone in CQ doesn't give the round much distance to really create much of a lengthy crack anyway.

Myths. Gotta love 'em.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I always liked the ricochet sounds that bullets made in the old country and western movies. Has anyone shot at rocks and heard those sounds or is that all Hollywood crap?

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    I always liked the ricochet sounds that bullets made in the old country and western movies. Has anyone shot at rocks and heard those sounds or is that all Hollywood crap?

yeah the movie ricochet sounds is pretty much true to the real world sounds..kinda of a creepy sound really.
    as far as carrying with a silencer...if I had to draw my pistol the last thing Im worried about is damage to my hearing. would also be kinda hard to conceal a weapon with a can on it.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6

yes come out to my place and shoot and you will hear it all day long. untill you hear the bullet slap the mud and you hear a thump. first you hear the boom from the gasses coming out of the barrel then you hear a long SSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHH sound, then the supersonic crack echoing back from the woods 750yds away then you hear a thup from the bullet hitting and digging itself into the ground. but if you if the bullet hits the ground at the right angle then you will hear a zeerm from it bouncing off the ground

listen at 47 seconds into the video
    shooting and guns :: MilkJugs.flv video by rx7b13 - Photobucket

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Seeing that you can't look very tacticool wearing ear muffs while shopping at Wal-Mart, one wonders if concealed carry of a silenced (legally) pistol was legal?

Seriously, anyone ever have to shoot a carry gun with no ear protection? Do yer ears still work as before?

Your ears don't technically work the same as before, but for the majority of circumstances, you will have essentially the same hearing as before. Not to say that it is good for you, but it will not likely be an overwhelming change. In light of the serious nature, it's really a secondary concern.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    one wonders if concealed carry of a silenced (legally) pistol was legal?

On the conditions that you comply with the requirements of Title II (your Form 4) and have your little pink card, then yes, you may carry a suppressed pistol, openly or concealed in Indiana.

As others have said, I do not know why you would, but you can. Free country (or used to be) and all that.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Pretty good thread, never really thought about carrying with a can. I have popped off a few rounds with mg g19 outdoors to get a fell for what shooting without hearing protection is like, it was loud, but my ears never rang or anything like that. I am sure indoors is a different story. I was using plain old WWB 115gr ammo.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you ever have to shoot in a self-defense scenario....chances are that you'll never hear your firearm go off.

Now, the sound still goes into your ear and may very well cause a small amount of hearing loss; but to me, that's acceptable. It's not like you'll be doing any kind of prolonged shooting without ear protection.

-J-

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    ATF - go to one of the bowling pin shoots. You COULD have lead ricochet back at you. I've nearly tried to catch with my hand at least one .45 bullet coming at me. I was quick enough to think it might be a bit hot, and did not do it. But I picked it right up and it was not that bad, really.

I don't recall ricochet noises from the bowling pin shoots, though. When the light hits the range just right, you can see the lead go down, and ricochet off pretty easily at times, too.

That aside, just get a smartycarry, cut the bottom out, slide suppressor through to your upper crotch/thigh. You'll have to remain standing, though. :)

Top Bottom