Is Private Funding Of Election Offices Legal Or Constitutional?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is It Unconstitutional To Use Private Money To Boost Voter Turnout In Certain Areas?

• Total voters

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I believe the actions of the elections offices violated both the federal constitution and state constitutions by creating unequal voting opportunities in democratic strongholds.
    I don't see that contention anywhere in the article.

The article makes that pretty clear but the courts, I believe, will not get involved in this because orange man bad.
    No, it doesn't, in fact does not mention violating fed/state constitutions... AT ALL.

The watchdog that filed the action, Center for Renewing America (CRA) contends that the donations funded partisan activities that they contend violates 501(c)(3) non-profit guidelines.

They are arguing 501(c)(3) non-profit status.

Like so many things from the election until now, they cannot be shown to back up Trumps assertions that the election was stolen.
    How so? Get out the vote and making it easier to vote during COVID constitute stealing the election?

lucy-ricky.gif

That the IRS will not do anything is hardly surprising and a continuation of their actions where conservatives get investigated and leftists skate by.
    THIS... we agree upon... IRS should issue a ruling whether or not allowed activities done only in certain election subdivisions constitutes partisan activity or not. If it is, Zuck owns taxes on the $400M. If not, then we need our own.

The left also creates new entities constantly so they rarely are caught up with.
    They definitely constantly try new "tricks" and call foul if the Rs duplicate it in the next election cycle.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I don't see that contention anywhere in the article.
    Did not mean to imply the article said that.

No, it doesn't, in fact does not mention violating fed/state constitutions... AT ALL.

The watchdog that filed the action, Center for Renewing America (CRA) contends that the donations funded partisan activities that they contend violates 501(c)(3) non-profit guidelines.

They are arguing 501(c)(3) non-profit status.
    If the shoe was on the other foot I guarantee it would found to violate civil rights of both constitutions. I think some low level suits were filed but tossed on standing.

In an election ran by the government if Trump gave $50,000,000 to republican strongholds in each battleground stat, to boost turnout, would it be met with a “ho-hum”? Would it be called “partisan activities”?
    How so? Get out the vote and making it easier to vote during COVID constitute stealing the election?
    These were nakedly partisan organizations handing out money to specific areas, controlled by dems, with specific instructions as to what the money was for. If an organization were to give Marion county and the other blue areas of Indiana more money per voter than our elected representatives designated for the entire election would you think that is equal protection specified under the constitutions?

If it were reversed and some millionaires gave that money to the red areas of the state to get republican votes in, the courts would say that was just “getting out the vote”?

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Did not mean to imply the article said that.

If the shoe was on the other foot I guarantee it would found to violate civil rights of both constitutions. I think some low level suits were filed but tossed on standing.

In an election ran by the government if Trump gave $50,000,000 to republican strongholds in each battleground stat, to boost turnout, would it be met with a “ho-hum”? Would it be called “partisan activities”?

These were nakedly partisan organizations handing out money to specific areas, controlled by dems, with specific instructions as to what the money was for. If an organization were to give Marion county and the other blue areas of Indiana more money per voter than our elected representatives designated for the entire election would you think that is equal protection specified under the constitutions?

If it were reversed and some millionaires gave that money to the red areas of the state to get republican votes in, the courts would say that was just “getting out the vote”?
    Um, yeah... kinda hard to argue with that. I always taught my girls that if you don’t like losing put in the work and try harder. I know I’m a terrible father for not propping them up and telling them they were still the best. I feel like I’m starting to have to eat crow, how do you beat the media and an a half apathetic population.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Considering the media is private, and can entirely dictate voter turnout depending on narratives, I'm not sure how this is a feasible problem to solve.

It would run afoul of the constitution to stop it.

And the things you can stop, are going to be of little measurable impact by comparison to things you can do to get around it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Considering the media is private, and can entirely dictate voter turnout depending on narratives, I'm not sure how this is a feasible problem to solve.

It would run afoul of the constitution to stop it.

And the things you can stop, are going to be of little measurable impact by comparison to things you can do to get around it.
    Do you understand the topic here? Not sure how this fits with the issue being discussed, which is billionaires giving mega cash to the government election offices in cities like Detroit, Milwaukee, and Philadelphia, but not to government election offices in red parts of the states. Nothing to do with media…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Hope this gets some traction. What are the odds it is dismissed on standing?

“The legislature has the authority to propose an amendment to the Constitution involving a vote of the people under Article 12, Sec. 1. But any election-law amendment to the Constitution that bypasses the legislature is illegal. According to both the U.S. Constitution and the Michigan Constitution, only the state legislature has the authority to regulate the times, places, and manner of federal elections. The passage of an election-related ballot referendum without first gaining legislative approval violates both the U.S. and Michigan Constitutions. The Michigan Constitution provides that the legislative power to regulate elections is vested in the Senate and House of Representatives.”

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I believe that elections are a function of government and must be held to the 14th amendment standards. Since the constitution explicitly designates the state legislatures the define the manner any outside funding should be held unconstitutional unless that funding is explicitly designated by the legislature and even then it must be equal per the 14th amendment.

@KLB @1nderbeard @Knight Rider

Where am I wrong? What in the constitution makes this legal?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I believe that elections are a function of government and must be held to the 14th amendment standards. Since the constitution explicitly designates the state legislatures the define the manner any outside funding should be held unconstitutional unless that funding is explicitly designated by the legislature and even then it must be equal per the 14th amendment.

@KLB @1nderbeard @Knight Rider

Where am I wrong? What in the constitution makes this legal?

I think you're still failing to grasp that it's an unstoppable problem. There's plenty of money on the right and we should be matching or exceeding them in every instance like our souls depend on it.

If you figure out a way to make it illegal, you will only be stopping the right from participating in it. We play by the rules, THEY DON'T.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I think you're still failing to grasp that it's an unstoppable problem. There's plenty of money on the right and we should be matching or exceeding them in every instance like our souls depend on it.

If you figure out a way to make it illegal, you will only be stopping the right from participating in it. We play by the rules, THEY DON'T.
    Kinda like GFZ's or any other "common sense gun law" they come up with. Only the law abiding will abide by the law.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Do you think conservatives can match the spending of oligarch billionaires? Conservatives have few globalists corporations to fund them…

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Do you think conservatives can match the spending of oligarch billionaires? Conservatives have few globalists corporations to fund them…

Yes, Elon coughed up 44 billion to save free speech online.

People need to learn to grow a pair and put their principles in public instead of hiding.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Yes, Elon coughed up 44 billion to save free speech online.

People need to learn to grow a pair and put their principles in public instead of hiding.
    Many say he has not lived up to the billing. Any other names to add to that one? It is interesting that many of the big donors in the GWB era were why we never got immigration reform, they wanted cheap labor and republicans did their bidding. They are either still doing the same BS or switched to dems. The people are being outgunned.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Many say he has not lived up to the billing. Any other names to add to that one? It is interesting that many of the big donors in the GWB era were why we never got immigration reform, they wanted cheap labor and republicans did their bidding. They are either still doing the same BS or switched to dems. The people are being outgunned.

He may not be perfect but I legitimately believe he is trying. When it comes to the border, he's probably the most outspoken billionaire on the planet.

He's gone to court to defend not hiring illegals.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    He may not be perfect but I legitimately believe he is trying. When it comes to the border, he's probably the most outspoken billionaire on the planet.

He's gone to court to defend not hiring illegals.
    If I recall correctly he already lost his country, he gets it…

Top Bottom