Is it worth getting a Class I FFL license?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Hey All,
    Looking for advice on getting a Class I FFL license. Is it worth it? Are there hassles and annual costs involved? I'm just thinking of saving on the "transfer fees" when purchasing firearms and being able to have them shipped directly to my home instead of the neighborhood FFL dealer. Any thoughts would be appreciated - even thoughts and suggestions on Class III FFL licenses if a better way to go.

THanks!

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    If I recall correctly it costs $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

:rolleyes:

AJB

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    In order to get a FFL you have to be in the business of selling firearms, they will not approve your license just for you to increase your collection.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    IIRC, it's $200/3 yrs.

A C&R (03 FFL) is $30/3 yrs. It allows you to have some guns shipped directly to you. It will get you a "dealer discount" from some places, like Midway and Brownell's. It will let you order directly from SOG or from AIM Surplus, among others. It will NOT let you get modern firearms, nor will it allow you to purchase something for the purpose of reselling it. (that is, you can't order a Mosin for your buddy and have him pay you for it, but you can buy a Mosin for yourself. If you at some subsequent point decide you don't want it, that's another issue entirely.)

Be aware that as a 01 FFL dealer, you have to be registered as a business, you have to have a state license to sell firearms, and you have to charge sales tax.

For me, the 03 was the better option. :twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    You are wanting the FFL for all the wrong reasons so if you even get approved for one you will not have it long time.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Bill isn't that mostly for old school guns? Like original WWI, WWII, and antique guns and whatnot?

Any gun over 50 years old. Newer ones, if they have some significant value beyond their actual cost.

The list is here, but it is not exhaustive. Firearms Curios or Relics List

Firearms automatically attain curio or relic (C&R) status when they are 50 years old. Any firearm that is at least 50 years old, and in its original configuration, would qualify as a C&R firearm. It is not necessary for such firearms to be listed in ATF’s C&R list. However, if your C&R item is regulated under the National Firearms Act (NFA) and you desire removal from the provisions of the NFA, you must submit the firearm to the Firearms Technology Branch for evaluation and a formal classification.

Curio and Relic List - Regular Updates

In our continuing efforts to provide the latest information on firearms added to the ATF Curios or Relics (C&R) List (ATF P 5300.11), we are providing regular C&R List updates. These updates may be accessed under the “Publications” link appearing under Firearms on this Web page.

Hope that helps!

Blessings,
    Bill

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Be aware that as a 01 FFL dealer, you have to be registered as a business, you have to have a state license to sell firearms, and you have to charge sales tax.
    Blessings,
    Bill

The license from the State of Indiana is a license issued by the Indiana State Police to sell Handguns and is a two year license while the FFL is three years. If I remember correctly it cost something like $20 dollars. I would estimate it will cost you around $300 or more to get started as a FFL. At $20 a transfer you would have to buy 15 guns for yourself to break even, but that activity is frowned upon by the ATF. If you got audited and they saw you were just using the license for your personal guns they will pull it in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

gund

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    ^^^ would you need a state license to repair and modify firearms as a business? You could get an FFL to be a gunsmith, maybe a part time one. My dealer that did transfers for me worked out of his garage which was zoned business. He doesn't sell, just a part time gunsmith.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    ^^^ would you need a state license to repair and modify firearms as a business? You could get an FFL to be a gunsmith, maybe a part time one. My dealer that did transfers for me worked out of his garage which was zoned business. He doesn't sell, just a part time gunsmith.

Indiana State Police license to sell handguns ???

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Since you need a FFL (and unless I'm mistaken, a 01 FFL) to do this, I would suggest checking with ISP to find out for certain. Or, since it costs $20ish, if you decide to get the FFL, get the state license anyway. Worst comes to worst, you have it and don't need it, which as in most things, is far better than the reverse situation. :twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

customizef

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Yeah I ll mimic the idea that you wouldnt have one long when they found out you were only buying for yourself. They ask you that right in the interview. And you wont get to the interview without having a business setup ( atleast that's what they told me ).

stoyan79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Thats what I have heard too. It won't work. Forget about 01 FFL, unless you want to open a business. If you are into old guns the 03 FFL is a great thing, I've had mine for several years now and it has saved me quite a bit on transfer fees.

Yeah I ll mimic the idea that you wouldnt have one long when they found out you were only buying for yourself. They ask you that right in the interview. And you wont get to the interview without having a business setup ( atleast that's what they told me ).

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I urge anyone considering getting a 01 FFL to make sure they completely understand all the issues involved. I suggest sitting down with someone like myself who has had their license for a period of time and get a feel for what it entails. The home FFL has a completely different set of issues than the storefront person. It can become rather time consuming and is not a way to buy guns for yourself and make a “quick buck” as some people believe. You have to be running a actual business and be approved by your local zoning department. Zoning requirements often limits you with what you can sell and do with your business.

gund

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2009
    Indiana State Police license to sell handguns ???

Just trying to be polite and implying one does not need a state license (to sell handguns) if you are getting an 01 FFL and not doing any selling. Business license though. Gunsmithing is a viable enough business for FFL requirements. Everybody seems to think you have to sell firearms to get an 01 FFL.

Last edited:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    I was just trying to be polite and imply one does not need a state license (to sell handguns) if you are getting an 01 FFL and not doing any selling. Business license though. Gunsmithing is a viable enough business for FFL requirements.

I thought you were asking a question as you had one of these (???) at the end of your sentence. I should have just posted this.

IC 35-47-2-14
    Necessity of retail handgun dealer's license; display
    Sec. 14. A retail dealer who:
    (1) sells;
    (2) trades;
    (3) transfers;
    (4) exposes for sale, trade, or transfer; or
    (5) possesses with intent to sell, trade, or transfer;
    any handgun without being licensed under sections 15 and 16 of this chapter and without displaying his license at all times commits a Class B misdemeanor.

Top Bottom