• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbatten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    Somewhere in Shelby Co.
    I have been watching used utility tractors for sale on places like Craigs list and other for sale sites. Lately I have been seeing things for sale that are well below what the used market is. For Example I saw a tractor that would normally bring $9000-$11000 used in good shape for $3900. I know we are in a down economy and people are getting tight for money so these types of things get sold at a reduced price but I'm a little leery.

Will the local police departments talk to you and advise if they are seeing theft rings and to avoid low priced certain items?

What's the ramifications if you buy something stolen and not know it? Does it just get returned to the owner and your out the money you paid for it or do you get in trouble?

Thoughts

Thanks,
    Scott

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Be very careful of replying to underpriced items on Craig's list. They are usually phishing scams and your ip address becomes used for bad things. Check back to the add a few times and see if they get removed. Often if you look in the background you will see palm trees or something that just doesn't seem right. If it looks too good to be true...it probably is.

Last edited:

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Probably scam. Caught a Craigslist scammer myself last summer. Was offering to sell a pontoon boat at a price that was too good to be true. Was supposed to be berthed locally, but when I pressed as to where I could see it, was told it was actually in Las Vegas and would be shipped for free to me once I completed payment via Paypal! Be careful!

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Yep ebay used to get alot of those scams, they want you to send payment and they will deliver the tractor only you never see it! if its to good to be true, it is to good to be true.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Those underpriced items are always scams... just ask a simple question and you'll flush them out in a hurry. Like: "I want to test drive that thing tonight... were can I meet you?"

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I actually have one of these emails: here's how it went down:

The craigslist ad:
    !!! 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 4WD !!! - $9000 (indianapolis )
    Date: 2010-01-19, 2:42PM
    Z71, FULLY LOADED, LOOKS AND RUNS GREAT!!! PRICED WELL BELOW MARKET, WELL MAINTAINED, OFF-ROAD PKG, LEATHER INTERIOR, HEATED SEATS, SIDE IMPACT AIR BAGS, POWER SUNROOF, XM SATELLITE RADIO, AM/FM WITH CD CHANGER, BOSE PREMIUM SPEAKERS, ONSTAR, OFF ROAD SUSPENSION, FRONT AIR DAM , TUBULAR ASSIST STEPS, TRAILERING PKG, FULL POWER, EVERY OPTION YOU COULD THINK OF!!! EXCELLENT CONDITION!! FULL-FEATURE BUCKETS, 2ND ROW BUCKET SEATS, ENTERTAINMENT PACKAGE WITH WIRELESS HEADPHONES, REMOVABLE 3RD ROW 60/40 BENCH SEAT, POWER ADJUSTABLE PEDALS WITH MEMORY, AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL, REAR SEAT STEREO CONTROLS, TURN SIGNAL MIRRORS, REALLY A GREAT VEHICLE

My email response:
    What's the mileage on this Tahoe?

Their response that proved it to be a scam:
    Hello,
    The car is in perfect working condition, it doesn't have any dents, chips or scratches and the interior is like new, it is a non smoker car. All the maintenance has been done on a regular basis. It's accident-free and has a clean and clear title. The total price that I 'm asking for the car including shipping to your door is $9,000.00. The car is currently in Somersworth, NH in custody of a shipping company, ready to be delivered to its new owner.

I would like to use eBay Vehicle Protection Program a third party service to handle this transaction for our own safety. Let me know if you are still interested and I will give you the details about the transaction.
    Thank you,
    Maria dsf54444@msn.com

1) The car was not anywhere near my location, so I could not look at it. Most scammers will make excuses or be unable to meet face to face.
    2) she wanted to use a third party escrow service (these are often scammer-built websites)
    3) Notice that "Maria" didn't even answer my question about the mileage. I got a pre-written form response. :rolleyes:

Next time, I'm going to follow up again for fun. I'll say something like:
    "Hey, I'm going to be near there tomorrow for a business meeting, mind if I swing by to take a look?" :D

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    About two years ago, there was a FTF meet at a strip mall in Lafayette that was arranged on Craigs list. The deal was a "great deal" on some tires.

Buyer shows up to find the other party was only there to rob them at gunpoint!
    Firefight ensued, no-one hit or hurt.
    IIRC, 2-3 arrested

Bubba

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Rensselaer

rlspach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    This is a well known Nigerian scam. I responded to one listed close by. I was informed the tractor was "crated at the shipping agency" and they would ship it at their expense. I pressed them just for fun, and of course couldn't meet face to face, guy is in the military, etc, etc.

Then suddenly I started to receive a lot of invitations via email to facilitate the transfer of millions of dollars for foreign diplomats. I wonder how many people fall for this crap.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Very true on alot of fronts, regarding the variety of type and scope of scams. The IP one hit me (took care of it) and one attempted paypal scam (shipped for free if paied in front).

The method of flushing them out is priceless and true for ANY internet scam (with large items): Can I drive/see it tonight? always gets em.

On the other hand: I have seen that some contractors are getting rid of any of their older or newly, foolishly purchased equipment (during the "high" of the building industry) is going for low prices now due to the recession. Alot of folks are trying to recoup their losses and others can get a good deal if it is not a scam. Folks just bought too much, thinking the building boom or their jobs would never end and just plain need to get out from under it.

Research it, just like everyone else said. Check into it, if legit, you got a "recession special" :)

Top Bottom