• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Where i am and you're not
    I've had a family member and a long time, childhood friend both have AD's. No one was hurt with the family member but unfortunately, the friend's incident ended up hurting not only himself but another mutual friend as well. My dad taught me how to shoot when I was 12, I've been around guns the majority of my life. However, with the few accidents that are personal to me, i've had a hard time with handguns.

The boyfriend has got me back into shooting rifles and even bought me my own lefty 20 gauge at one point. Up until a few years ago, he wouldn't even attempt to bring a handgun into the house because of my feelings on the subject. I know I take those accidents out on him even though I whole heartedly trust his safety and knowledge of firearms.

When he brings home a new addition, he takes me to shoot it so that if I ever needed to defend myself, it wouldn't be the first time shooting it. Although I agree with his reasoning, I find myself very timid and reluctant to shoot. I have a great respect for guns and I don't fear them. I just agree that guns don't hurt people, people hurt people. Accidents happen but you can't take them back...has anyone had a similar situation and what did you do to get past it??

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    I actually had a friend that had an AD. It went through his hand and into another friends ankle. I wasn't right next to them but I was in the room when it happened. Thankfully noone was fatally injured. It did not change my stance on whether to have guns or not. If anything it taught me to make sure and spread the word on gun safety, not gun control. Everyone that was involved that night still carry to this day.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    I hate to be a jerk here but I know both instances that you are talking about, and both were NDs ( Negligent Discharges ) not ADs. Safety rules were not followed or forgot in both instances, that is negligence not accident. Most "accidents" that happen with firearms go back to owner negligence not firearm malfunction. If you are truly wanting to get over your "fears" take every chance you can to learn about proper safety, handling, and function of firearms that you own or operate. Just my .02

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    Nothing wrong with a little fear tempered with respect when it comes firearms, or the other way around in my opinion. Not just firearms but with anything that can harm you. In the 7th grade in a wood shop class I was running a test cut for a 3/4" cut, got in a hurry lost concentration and the board kicked back and the tips of my fingers fell into the blades.

It was an accident and totally my fault. It was about 15 years before I myself used a table saw again. You can bet I was aware and respectful of the machine. I know this isn't gun related, but I feel my story helps to drive the point home. Always be careful.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    I hate to be a jerk here but I know both instances that you are talking about, and both were NDs ( Negligent Discharges ) not ADs. Safety rules were not followed or forgot in both instances, that is negligence not accident. Most "accidents" that happen with firearms go back to owner negligence not firearm malfunction. If you are truly wanting to get over your "fears" take every chance you can to learn about proper safety, handling, and function of firearms that you own or operate. Just my .02

I actually agree with you.

That's a pretty funny coincidence though. Good to see you guys on here.

Your only stipulation to him getting handguns is that he has to get you one, and go get you Ltch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    I've decided that you are not allowed to comment on this one, lol...I already know what you think. We've only discussed this about million times before! ;) But I do agree with you that I need to get into the safety of firearms if I'm really gonna get past the worry of it. You know every time someone has a gun around me, i have to ask if it's unloaded, I can't help it. And we get our goofy friend (nice way of saying it because he's a pretty good guy) who comes over and just shoot his gun off without permission or warning and then another time he comes over and just start pulling his gun out in front of some kids who stayed over the night before (and then had to be told to put it away, duh!)...it's people like that who make me nervous and keep me in constant termoil over how I feel.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    If you own and/or shoot guns you either have had or will have an AD. You can increase you chances of a favorable outcome by always paying close attention to basic gun safety rule.. Treat all guns as if they are loaded, always keep it pointed in a safe direction and keep your finger off the trigger until ready to engage the target.

Personally I shot a refrigerator in my own kitchen.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    If you own and/or shoot guns you either have had or will have an AD. You can increase you chances of a favorable outcome by always paying close attention to basic gun safety rule.. Treat all guns as if they are loaded, always keep it pointed in a safe direction and keep your finger off the trigger until ready to engage the target.

Personally I shot a refrigerator in my own kitchen.

I am the type of person that will never touch a firearm just to keep me from personally having an AD. That's why I stopped riding my motorcycle. But that frame of mind isn't a good one and I know this. Another friend had an AD in his house with my boyfriend standing in the room with him and that went through the wall, grazed the boyfriends truck and went into the friends garage. Another AD that is a close call on a personal level for me. I agree its gonna happen and u can't stop it...I know all u can do is be as safe as u can and always point it in a safe direction. I'm just a really big worry wort. Trying really hard to work past it though! :)

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    ... And we get our goofy friend (nice way of saying it because he's a pretty good guy) who comes over and just shoot his gun off without permission or warning and then another time he comes over and just start pulling his gun out in front of some kids who stayed over the night before (and then had to be told to put it away, duh!)...it's people like that who make me nervous and keep me in constant termoil over how I feel.

If it were me, I'd be sure to let my "goofy friend" clearly understand that he is not welcome to visit with his firearms until he develops and displays firearm safety and respect. Goofy, friendly, or not, firearm safety (or, perhaps, the lack of it) is serious. If he's doing stuff like you describe, I wouldn't want to be around him with firearms. Stupid hurts ...and sometimes it's deadly; I wouldn't want to have to attend that funeral. Frankly, it seems like your fear developed based on the actions of a person (or people), rather than firearms.

Someone else suggested to learn all you're able to about firearm safety (pop quiz: can you list the four rules of firearm safety? How many of the rules did your goofy friend break in your examples?). All sorts of gun safety resources can be found on the internet (including right here on INGO!). If you can afford to take a class (or classes), sign up for them. Ask questions, learn, study ...and don't ever stop, become complacent, or think you know it all. Ignorance is not always bliss.

Again (this is really important), firearms are dangerous and deadly. That doesn't mean they can't be safely possessed, handled, and used. It does mean that a) a person needs to have a respect for firearms, and b) a healthy mind-set around firearms starts and ends with understanding firearm safety, personal responsibility, maturity, and respect for others.

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Hubby, son, and I took a gun safety class over the summer. The instructor is a fellow INGO member and certified. It was an all day course about handling, positioning, personal protection, and of course safety. After lunch he took us to his personal outdoor range and let us shoot. The confidence I got from the class was priceless. The instructor was awesome and he even helped me with my " flinch". ( Which I'm still working on.:) ) My husband was raised around guns, I wasn't. I love going to the range with him. I've even had a girls day out with my INGO friend JetGirl. I highly recommend taking a class.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I've had a family member and a long time, childhood friend both have AD's.

Accidents happen but you can't take them back...has anyone had a similar situation and what did you do to get past it??
    An ND sailed between my cousin and me when we were kids. It flipped my hair.
    After that, and for the longest time, I wanted nothing to do with them.
    Right up through the time MiniJet was little...guns weren't allowed in any form. Not nerf, not water pistols, not anything.
    Soooo... with the difference between now and then, I'd say...Even if you can't "get past" it, you can definitely deal with it. ;)

I've even had a girls day out with my INGO friend JetGirl. I highly recommend taking a class.
    And we MUST do this again sometime soonish. I love XtremeGirl Day! :D

mmaddox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    I would go even farther with the education aspect. Become an instructor and get involved with with a teaching team. Have a few ladies that work with our's, including my wife. Depending on where you are located, might be able to put you in touch with someone.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    If we quit doing things or avoid things because we have seen/been involved with someone that did someting stupid, and/or unsafe, we would never get out of bed. We need to learn from our experiences and be better people for it rather than putting our head in the sand.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm working on an organization to assist beginning shooters just like you....to educate and welcome new comers, even those who have no experience or are afraid of weapons, etc......feel free to pm me ....I'd like to have additional insight from individuals such as yourself and can assist with teaching you self-confidence with firearms and self-defense

as far as the original post.....I agree, had the handler's been taught and were practicing basic weapons safety rules and handling rules...there would not have been a discharge.....and that is exactly the type of education we are working towards providing

Top Bottom