is it a good or bad idea to let a 14 year old visit her mom in jail?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buddy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    United States
    To teach a child to be safe with firearms doesn't necessitate a trip to the morgue to show them what a person looks like who lost at a game of Russian Roulette.

At the same point, you wouldn't take your kid to a funeral either?? Why hide your kids from any sort of pain??

buddy17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    United States
    To teach her about proper gun safety? No, I wouldn't.

I think you've misinterpreted the gun safety analogy......To each his own, but I'm with churchmouse on this one.

Hiding them from what's truly going on is how the typical liberal handles a problem.....no thanks.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    How long has your wife been in jail? Have you visited her yourself?

Do you intend to visit your wife as often as you are allowed, regardless of whether or not you bring your daughter with you?

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    What does your wife have to say about it? Arent you concerned about how she feels? This is something you should talk to her about, not a bunch of strangers on the internet.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is it because when you start to visit it becomes more normal and maybe acceptable?

Correct. Also the normalization of the incarcerated environment. Prisoners, staff and other visitors all have a different that normal mindset, one that is more likely to set poor examples for healthy productive life.

Regardless of being the child's mother, your wife might not be of a proper sound mind for upbringing your child, while incarcerated. We are always upbringing our children.

Good for you for sticking by your wife through this difficult time. Your daughter will be just fine waiting for her mother to get out and better off that you didn't expose her to that poor environment. She'll also be happier in her own mind, not struggling with deciding on visiting or not, visiting the next time or not because she thinks it's the right thing to do, etc, etc.

Especially since your wife doesn't seem adamant about seeing her daughter, I would argue that it would be less stressful for her, not anticipating daughter visits.

It's only six months, it will go quick and you guys can get back to normal life soon.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    What does your wife have to say about it? Arent you concerned about how she feels? This is something you should talk to her about, not a bunch of strangers on the internet.

Come on! We're not THAT strange! :):

Correct. Also the normalization of the incarcerated environment. Prisoners, staff and other visitors all have a different that normal mindset, one that is more likely to set poor examples for healthy productive life.

Regardless of being the child's mother, your wife might not be of a proper sound mind for upbringing your child, while incarcerated. We are always upbringing our children.

In my observation it takes a number of years for a person to become institutionalized with the inmates becoming so the fastest by virtue of 24/7 saturation and the fact that most of them are not first time guests of the state, followed by the staff who spend a great deal of time, but not all their time at work. I have never heard of visitors being affected by this phenomenon at all.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...In my observation it takes a number of years for a person to become institutionalized with the inmates becoming so the fastest by virtue of 24/7 saturation and the fact that most of them are not first time guests of the state, followed by the staff who spend a great deal of time, but not all their time at work. I have never heard of visitors being affected by this phenomenon at all.

And you were a part of this system?

Top Bottom