• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    For years, our PD range staff has used a mixture of motor oil and trans fluid as gun lube. It works REALLY well in cold and heat without too much migration. I've switched from SLIP2000 to our homemade brew. I really like it after I tried it. I blew it off for years as the department being cheap. However, once I really looked close I think it's a better oil than the expensive stuff.

jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    112   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I primarily use homemade Eds Red bore solvent for cleaning (a mix of atf, kerosene, acetone, lanolin) and pure atf for gun lubing.

Super cheap, large quantity and effective.

Google it.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    For years, our PD range staff has used a mixture of motor oil and trans fluid as gun lube. It works REALLY well in cold and heat without too much migration. I've switched from SLIP2000 to our homemade brew. I really like it after I tried it. I blew it off for years as the department being cheap. However, once I really looked close I think it's a better oil than the expensive stuff.

That's what I use and it works great. I suspect we got the recipe from the same place.

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Same here.

I make my own but I started running out of tranny fluid last spring due to the ‘Rona. I couldn’t make it down to Walnut Street to pick any up.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    What is the oil and transmission fluid you all use and what is the mixture? 50/50?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Been using the same 1gal jug of milsurp clp I bought from a surplus store in NY for the last 5 or 6yrs with no issues hot or cold or when checking the safe every year.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I found that for my uses, Hoppes to clean and then to lube I use 3-in-1 light machine oil. works well.

May not work for all, but seems to work fine for everything I need.
    Beware that unless they changed the formula 3 in 1 has varnish in it and WILL build up on surfaces.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I use Lucas “Extreme Duty” oil and grease. I think some of the guys who are involved in auto racing over at Premier Arms (Jimmy Kitasaki) were involved in developing it. The stuff seems to stay put really well. For cleaning, I like Sage & Braker CLP.

Top Bottom