• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Is George Zimmerman Guilty of a Crime.

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    There is a lot of healthy discussion on this topic in another thread. I'm not really looking for more discussion. I'm simply trying to ascertain how people feel about his actual guilt. The choices may not be perfect, but I think it will give us a pulse of how people are leaning.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    that is now the decision of:

1) First a judge to see if the case even goes to trial.
    2) Then a jury of his peers if it does go to trial.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Maybe, but from what has been reported so far, I say no. That could change in the face of additional evidence.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    There is a lot of healthy discussion on this topic in another thread. I'm not really looking for more discussion. I'm simply trying to ascertain how people feel about his actual guilt. The choices may not be perfect, but I think it will give us a pulse of how people are leaning.

How is this different than the discussion going on in the other thread? :dunno:

There is nothing to "feel." That is why the other thread is crap. He is innocent until proven guilty.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would say that he is innocent until proven guilty. Considering that the presumption of innocence is one of the greatest foundational elements in American jurisprudence, I will run with it. In the end, it will turn on who instigated the fight, and based on that, it could go either way assuming that there is a jury which is in fact impartial. My concern is that one way or another, it may well end up with a trial as impartial as Colonel Sanders being tried by a jury made up of chickens.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    How is this different than the discussion going on in the other thread? :dunno:

There is nothing to "feel." That is why the other thread is crap. He is innocent until proven guilty.
    I wasn't trying to start another discussion. Was interested in getting some actual poll numbers.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Question: with all the media coverage, sensationalism, and those two *******s stirring up the pot (jesse jackson , and al sharpton), do you think this guy will ever get a fair trial?

I don't think so. I think people have their minds made up on this guy, one way or the other, and i doubt they will change said views during the trial.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Where is the option in the poll that says, "He is innocent until he is proven guilty?"

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    In the end, it will turn on who instigated the fight......

Maybe. It will depend on whether the "fight" and the shot occurred without interruption. For example, in Indiana or Florida, if Zimmerman instigated a fight with Martin, and then announced that he was withdrawing from the fight, and walked away, and Martin pursued and attacked him, and Zimmerman then fired under Florida's (or Indiana's) Stand Your Ground, he would not be guilty of 2nd degree murder (or any lesser charge related to Martin's death.)

Based on the evidence available, there is reason to believe this is the way it happened.

Last edited:

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    From the evidence I have heard so far, it appears to me Zimmerman acted in self defense. In my opinion there is a lot more evidence to be heard. I need more information before I can declare my own verdict either way.

infiremedic07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Lapel/Noblesville
    It sounds like to me that if Zimmerman did not present his weapon until Mr Martin was fighting him then the 2nd degree murder wont stick. But without an eyewitness to the start of the fight then I can't see how they can make the 2nd degree stick.
    If Mr Zimmerman pulled the gun and tried to "arrest" Mr Martin and a fight occurred then I can see where they would have a case.
    The prosecution has the obligation to provide evidence to show that beyond a shadow of a doubt that it was not self defense. He is innocent until found guilty.
    A more scary thought is what will happen if he is acquitted? The race card has been so hyped up in this case that I worry about backlash!

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Under Florida Law, Z would have to be in the comission of a crime for murder 2 to stick.

Manslaughter could definitely be do-able.

782.11 Unnecessary killing to prevent unlawful act.--Whoever shall unnecessarily kill another, either while resisting an attempt by such other person to commit any felony, or to do any other unlawful act, or after such attempt shall have failed, shall be deemed guilty of manslaughter, a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. History.--s. 13, ch. 1637, 1868; RS 2388; GS 3213; RGS 5043; CGL 7145; s. 719, ch. 71-136.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    This is also interesting

782.03 Excusable homicide.--Homicide is excusable when committed by accident and misfortune in doing any lawful act by lawful means with usual ordinary caution, and without any unlawful intent, or by accident and misfortune in the heat of passion, upon any sudden and sufficient provocation, or upon a sudden combat, without any dangerous weapon being used and not done in a cruel or unusual manner. History.--s. 6, ch. 1637, 1868; RS 2379; GS 3204; RGS 5034; CGL 7136; s. 1, ch. 75-13.

Top Bottom