Popcorn-Buffy-self-aware.gif

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    After watching the video, I'm less than impressed. Seems as if the gent wants to throw up a bunch of stock photos while he narrates his opinion, after some political ranting.

This is the video the same guy put out ten days ago, bashing on Hickok45's advice... :n00b: ...

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    That video is as hard to listen to as Noir's.
    Too many think their way is the right way, the only way and any deviation from their way is wrong.
    Carry however you choose but do it legaly, safely and competently.
    It's nice we still have this choice.
    I've taught my kids from the get-go...that how people perceive you and, as a result, respond to you, is all in how you present yourself...from your clothing choices to your attitude / demeanor, etc....you can influence how people perceive and respond you simply by your presentation to them.
    Arrogance and aggressiveness are both responded to in a defensive manner, etc.
    Having a mature and respectful approach, will often open the door for other conversations.
    Rarely do I open carry as when I do people tend to focus on the gun rather than the individual, specifically those whom I do not know and who do not know me.
    Most don't know I even carry a gun and, when some of them find or figure out that I do, they're actually surprised, but I've also gotten a few, "Well I'm glad mature people carry a gun instead of just idiots." in response. So, then, their perception that it's being done in a mature and responsible manner comes into play, and then they're okay that I have one.
    And I've known a few people who open carried intentionally, even one who's stated that he wanted people to know that he had it so he could 'engage' them in conversation about it. All too often, though, I saw that 'conversation' result in raised and argumentative voices that accomplished nothing but present handgun carriers in a negative and arrogant attitude to the general public, and once resulting in this individual being thrown out of a restaurant due to his 'argumentative' behavior. He claims he was thrown out because he had a gun...in reality, it was because of his obnoxious behavior.
    Presentation matters...
    Just spittin' out my $0.02 worth...

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I’ve always understood his stance as “I prefer not to but I don’t care if you do.”

My stance is similar - so long as you’re carrying safely I don’t care how you carry just don’t tell me how to do it.

Personally when I OC I use a high retention level holster. That said I tend to CC more often than not these days.

hoosiersasquatch

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    The moderator made some good counterpoints, especially on the element of surprise. I also agree that people really are not paying attention, had a lady almost walk into my car because she was on her phone. Ultimately I am thankful to live in Indiana and have constitutional carry and figure it is up to the individual to conceal or open carry.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've taught my kids from the get-go...how people perceive you and, as a result, respond to you, is all in how you present yourself...from your clothing choices to your attitude / demeanor, etc....you can influence how people perceive and respond you simply by your presentation to them.
    Arrogance and aggressiveness are both responded to in a defensive manner, etc.
    Having a mature, respectful approach, will often open the door for other conversations.
    Rarely do I open carry as when I do people tend to focus on the gun rather than the individual, specifically those whom I do not know and who do not know me.
    Many don't know I even carry a gun and when some of them find / figure out that I do, they're surprised but I've gotten a few, "Well I'm glad mature people carry a gun instead of just idiots." So, then, their perception that it's being done in a mature and responsible manner comes into play, and then they're okay that I have one.
    And I've known a few people who open carried intentionally, one even stated that he wanted people to know that he had it so he could 'engage' them in conversation about it. All too often, though, I saw that 'conversation' result in raised, argumentative voices that accomplished nothing but present a negative and arrogant attitude to the general public once resulting in this individual being thrown out of a restaurant due to his 'argumentative' behavior. He claims he was thrown out because he had a gun...in reality, it was because of his obnoxious behavior.
    Presentation matters...
    Just spittin' out my $0.02 worth...
    Lots of wisdom here, for life, not just this topic. I appreciate you posting this. What a valuable lesson you teach your kids and anyone who reads it!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I open carry from time to time. I open carried for years and what I found out is most people are completely unobservant. Very few people even noticed. Now I CC most of the time, but will occasionally OC depending on where I'm going and other factors. If you OC, you MUST be observant and have good situational awareness. Keep an eye out for 5 year old girls... ;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That video is as hard to listen to as Noir's. Too many think their way is the right way, the only way and any deviation from their way is wrong.
    Carry however you choose but do it legaly, safely and competently.
    It's nice we still have this choice.
    I’m still trying to figure out why this post didn’t end the thread. It should be in the pizza with pineapple is an abomination phase of the thread lifecycle.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Gee, if only we had a thread already on this subject. :rolleyes:

Oh, that's right. 211 pages and still going

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Yep. Of all the stories of a guy having his sidearm taken suddenly from behind, I cant recall the last time it was a CCer.

But you do you.
    I'm not saying one should never OC. I'm simply saying what was quoted. There's going to be conditions on which carry method would be better. When I go hiking with gear on I always OC. When I run errands in town I CC.

2AforLife1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Mr. 2Aforlife1911, MAYBE you should consider making a few posts before jumping right on the Troll Train? This has been beat to death everal times on INGO. Get a life, preferably somewhere else.

Now I'm annoyed with myself for taking the time to respond. :xmad:

Glad we have you out there policing the internet and keeping the world safe.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    If only there were some meaningful post about open carry.

But seriously I often wonder how many videos are made to elicit a view and generate revenue for the content provider?

There do seem to be some good ones out there that seem to want educate and some that do want to toss in a little entrainment as well.

Paul Harrell and Hickock45 come to mind.

Top Bottom