Is buying a dedicated 22 upper for an AR-15 worth it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • papakevin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I currently have a CMMG kit for my AR and it works like a champ for shooting stuff, however I'm now looking to qualify for my rifleman rating at an Appleseed and I'm guessing shooting 22's out of a barrel with a 1-9 twist is limiting my accuracy.

I like the Spike's tactical, however it's a little pricy. Any suggestions? Also thought about just using a Sig 522, but like the training of using an AR. Plus, I really dig my AR trigger....

Thoughts, suggestions, opinions are all welcome. Thanks.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I debated that when I got my S&W 15-22. While I LOVE my 15-22, and it's a great AR trainer, I will end up getting a dedicated .22 upper as well.

In my mind the best use for a .22lr conversion kit, other than a fun plinker, is to put in the BOB to allow one to increase flexibility of the AR when bugging out.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A dedicated upper (or dedicated gun like the M&P-22) will be more accurate than an AR conversion. A conversion's place is for adding versatility to a 5.56 gun, and to allow for some cheap plinking/practice/training.

Here is some interesting reading:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n_22_conversions_and_dedicated_22_rifles.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...versions_and_dedicated_22_rifles_part_ii.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rt_spikes_dedicated_22ar_dial-up_warning.html

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    i like the colt 22 that looks like the ar the tear down is a little different but great shooters. you can buy the colt complete gun for about the price of a dedicated upper.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I own a Kidd ruger 10/22, a tactical solutions dedicated upper, and a 22lr conversion kit.

The ruger is more accurate than the dedicated upper which is more accurate than the 22lr conversion kit.

My advice would be to take it to the range and shoot it. Find out how accurate it is as opposed to just guessing. and then find out how accurate a dedicated upper is, by borrowing or shooting someone elses.

Remember Appleseed is only 25 yard targets, they arent really too far away. SO if your 22lr conversion kit holds 3 moa at 25 yards, you are golden.

papakevin

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Thanks guys.

Dom1104, how accurate is a CMMG conversation kit supposed to be? I couldn't find any ratings on it. Granted, I'm likely just not to rifleman quality shooting just yet, but wondering how much impact running a CMMG drop in is having on my accuracy. Appreciate any information or links you can share. Thanks.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I have a heavy long barrel on my ar and get 2moa accuracy with my CMMG conversion using a sling sitting. Appleseed rifleman is achieved by getting 4MOA accuracy using marksmanship skills (sling, position....). If your rifle is capable of keeping its shots in a 1inch circle or square at 25 yards then IT is good to go. Test IT by using whatever you need to stabilize it the most (vice, sand bags, bi-pod, bench rest) Appleseed will teach YOU to be able to do that without the bench, bags, and stabilization methods you used to see what the rifle can do.
    My AR, I sold the scope in the pic before ever using it.
    image.php

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I'm now looking to qualify for my rifleman rating at an Appleseed.

If you really want one that shoots - Compass Lake Engineering.

Hands down.

It was the most accurate 22LR I've ever owned, sold it to a friend in a moment of weakness (a bad lot of Wolf Match Target) - and have regretted it ever since.

One of these days I'll call them up and order another barrel, bolt and magazines and screw it all together.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I bought a Chiappa .22 upper and it's worked great but the barrel started to unscrew from the upper at about 2,000 rounds and I had to re-tighten it and loc-tited it. No problems since then.

YankeeDollar

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    gentle-ben

I own a cz-22 upper from Blue Press and it shoots great, I bought it to practice my off-hand, but now I don't need it since I don't shoot "high-power!

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I love my Spikes, but think it is BS that they pretty much tell you that in order to get it to run right you need to buy the upgraded extractor and the lakeside springs. If that is the case I think they should include them in the production of the upper.

Here is mine shooting 30 rounds :)::

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIwDRL89Q0Q"]YouTube - M16 W/ Spikes 22 Upper / Thompson Machine CHD Suppressor[/ame]

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    If you really want one that shoots - Compass Lake Engineering.

Hands down.

It was the most accurate 22LR I've ever owned, sold it to a friend in a moment of weakness (a bad lot of Wolf Match Target) - and have regretted it ever since.

One of these days I'll call them up and order another barrel, bolt and magazines and screw it all together.

This is true. I have a couple compass lake uppers and they are all lasers. The 22 upper works well for a cheap trainer also

Top Bottom