50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Purpose

Last January I posted a thread comparing accuracy in three .22 platforms:

An AR with a .22 conversion system
    A dedicated .22 upper
    A Ruger 10/22

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/69228-range_test_--_accuracy_in_22_conversions_and_dedicated_22_rifles.html

During the testing, I had some issues with the Ruger so I discounted the data I got from that rifle.

Since then, I decided to modify the Ruger and shoot the test again. I took the recent Ruger data and combined it with the information from the other two rifles in the previous test to form this range report.

The modifications made to the factory rifle were a Tactical Solutions 16.5” barrel, Hogue stock, and Vortex ‘Crossfire’ scope with new rings and scope base.

Left side of rifle
    2hwpphy.jpg

Left side of rifle – close
    jakv7m.jpg

The testing should also show me what kinds of accuracy variations there are between different brands of ammunition. I was surprised to see significant differences between brands of .22LR ammunition shot from different rifles.

Equipment
    -- Colt 6920 carbine with a Ciener conversion, 1:7 twist
    -- Spikes dedicated .22 Upper in a RRA lower, 1:16 twist
    -- Ruger 10/22 rifle, Tactical Solutions barrel, 1:16 twist

Optics
    -- Colt 6920: Millett DMS-1 set at 4X
    -- Spikes Upper: Millett DMS-1 set at 4X
    -- Ruger 10/22: Vortex ‘Crossfire’ set at 4X

Ammo Used
    I tested nine brands of ammo during the first part of the test and added the last two brands during the recent test of the modified Ruger.

Aguila ‘Interceptor’, 40 grain copper plated round nose, 1470 fps
    Centurion (Aguila mfg.), 38 grain lead HP, 1280 fps
    Winchester ‘333’ bulk, 36 grain, copper plated HP, 1280 fps
    Winchester ‘Xpert HV’, 36 grain, lead HP, 1220 fps
    Winchester ‘Super-X’, 37 grain copper plated HP, 1330 fps
    CCI ‘Mini-Mag’, 40 grain copper plated round nose, 1235 fps
    CCI ‘Mini-Mag HP’, 36 grain copper plated HP, 1260 fps
    American Eagle, 40 grain lead round nose, 1260 fps
    Federal Value Pack, 36 grain copper plated HP, 1260 fps
    Aguila ‘Supermaximum’, 30 grain copper plated round nose, 1750 fps
    Wolf Target, 40 grain, lead round nose, 1050 fps

Ammo used in the testing
    ebc7s2.jpg

Weather
    I did the initial testing on January 6, 2010. It was 18-20 degrees F and overcast most of the afternoon. The air was still.

The second part of the test was done on March 5, 2010. It was sunny and 40 degrees F with a light wind from left to right.

Range Arrangement
    All shooting was at a distance of 50 yards, level (along a dam) using a bench, rifle rest, and sand bag (or bipod on the Ruger).

Range Setup
    20qnqwx.jpg

Targets
    I used cheap 9 inch diameter paper plates with a 1.5” orange target dot. After zeroing the rifle, each target received 15 rounds of each brand of ammunition. After shooting, I circled the hits with a marker and took pictures.

Once inside, I measured the approximate area (in square inches) of each grouping using graph paper. The smaller the area, the better for the rifle/ammo combo.

Shooters
    Here is an aspect of the testing that is a problem….
    I did the shooting in January. My son, esrice, did the recent shooting of the Ruger. To be truly ‘scientific’ about it, I should have shot all the rounds. I believe he’s a better shot than me, so there may be a bias between the scores of the AR and Spikes upper and the recent Ruger scores. When comparing between rifle platforms, keep that in mind. When comparing how different ammo brands perform in any given rifle, there is no problem.

Esrice shooting
    abo68o.jpg

Ammo failures:
    Winchester HV – 2 failures to feed in 15 rounds
    American Eagle – 1 stovepipe in 15 rounds

Results
    Tabular accuracy data
    23kvwyg.jpg

Photo Comparisons:

Aguila Interceptor
    2v1lpab.jpg

Centurion
    2wd25vr.jpg

Winchester ‘333’
    148nzr.jpg

Winchester ‘Xpert HV’
    2mdvu0.jpg

Winchester ‘Super-X’
    2vll0gh.jpg

CCI ‘Mini-Mag’
    1109c29.jpg

CCI ‘Mini-Mag HP’
    w04b9d.jpg

American Eagle
    2eq83mp.jpg

Federal Value Pack
    fb01z6.jpg

Aquila ‘Supermaximum’
    sowg04.jpg

Wolf Target
    2mpbuk1.jpg

Observations:
    Winchester ‘333’ – Liked the clean, direct recoil. Was able to quickly get back on target.

Wolf target ammo – has a lower velocity than most of the other brands. It certainly had lower recoil. Noticed black rings around every bullet hole on the Wolf target. I’m assuming this is from the heavy amount of wax on the rounds. Surprisingly poor accuracy (in the Ruger rifle) for a ‘premium’ target round (about $.10/round!).

Conclusions:
    -- Dedicated .22 platforms shoot better than the conversion systems. Duh! Not a surprise.
    -- Conversion systems shoot well enough to provide fun and practice at a fraction of the cost of full-power ammunition.
    -- There is no one ‘best’ .22 ammunition brand. Different rifles work better with certain brands of ammunition. Take some time and test various brands until you find the 2-3 types that your firearm likes.
    -- Ammunition brand affects the zero of the rifle. If you’re going to a tournament or competition, be certain you’ve zeroed the rifle with the ammunition you’re shooting.
    -- Shooting is fun!

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Excellent report. I'd be a little disappointed in that ruger though. My beater model 60 can shoot about the same size groups at 100yds. It loves the wolf match target.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Does anyone else feel that the Ruger group sizes are not typical? We've had issues with the rifle before, and have swapped out about every part but the action-- maybe THAT is the issue. . . .

Anyway, great range report Pop!

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Does anyone else feel that the Ruger group sizes are not typical?

If you haven't addressed headspace - I'm certain that is where a big portion of the issue resides.

Remove the bolt from the rifle, measure the depth of the recess for the cartridge rim.

Chances are it is north of .047".

I've measured 22 LR rim thickness from .038"-.044", depending on the brand.

Most "match" ammunition averages .040-.0415", Federal is generally thicker up to .044", bulk ammunition is usually under .043".

It isn't a difficult or expensive proposition to fix($25 +shipping), provided you have established what the MAXIMUM rim thickness you intend to run is.

For a "screwing around" rifle, I surface grind to .043", and run everything in them.

If you are running match ammunition exclusively and/or sorting the ammunition by rim thickness .041"(or specifically the thickness of your rims) makes even more of a difference.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom