• lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Purpose
    I’ve read several posts on INGO about .22 accuracy in .223 uppers using a .22 conversion bolt. I was curious about the accuracy between those platforms. A .22 conversion system costs around $200. A dedicated .22 rifle (Spikes Upper, GSG-5, Colt, etc.) can be $500-$700. What do you get for those extra dollars?

I also was interested in accuracy variation between different brands of ammunition.

Equipment
    I took three rifles to the range.
    -- Colt 6920 carbine with a Ciener conversion, 1:7 twist
    -- Spikes dedicated .22 Upper in a RRA lower, 1:16 twist
    -- Ruger 10/22 rifle

The Ciener bolt replaces the regular .223 bolt. It rests against the buffer but doesn’t rely on the buffer spring to absorb recoil. It has its own, much lighter recoil spring as part of the bolt. A .223 sized end piece fits into the bore of the barrel. The Spikes bolt is nearly identical except that it has a collar that fits around the barrel breech. The Spikes bolt is nickel plated making it smoother.

Ciener bolt and Spikes bolt comparison
    2m7xjsh.jpg

Both the Ciener and Spikes systems use special magazines. For the testing, I used a 20 round magazine from Black Dog Machine company. CMMG makes 26 round magazines that I believe are better. They also make their own conversion bolt that I recommend. I had a Ciener kit before CMMG marketed theirs.

Optics
    -- Colt 6920: Millett DMS-1 set at 4X
    -- Spikes Upper: Millett DMS-1 set at 4X
    -- Ruger 10/22: Nikon ProStaff 3x9 scope set at 4X

Ammo Used
    I tested nine brands of ammo that I had on hand.
    Aguila ‘Interceptor’, 40 grain copper plated round nose, 1470 fps
    Centurion (Aguila mfg.), 38 grain lead HP, 1280 fps
    Winchester ‘333’ bulk, 36 grain, copper plated HP, 1280 fps
    Winchester ‘Xpert HV’, 36 grain, lead HP, 1220 fps
    Winchester ‘Super-X’, 37 grain copper plated HP, 1330 fps
    CCI ‘Mini-Mag’, 40 grain copper plated round nose, 1235 fps
    CCI ‘Mini-Mag HP’, 36 grain copper plated HP, 1260 fps
    American Eagle, 40 grain lead round nose, 1260 fps
    Federal Value Pack, 36 grain copper plated HP, 1260 fps

Test ammo
    23wwajl.jpg

Weather
    I did the testing on January 6, 2010. It was 18-20 degrees F and overcast most of the afternoon. The air was still.

Range Arrangement
    I was shooting a distance of 50 yards, level (along a dam) using a bench, rifle rest, and sand bag.

Range Setup
    16bknpc.jpg

Targets
    I used cheap 9 inch diameter paper plates with a 1.5” orange target dot. After a quick zero of each rifle, I shot 15 rounds of each brand of ammunition. After shooting, I circled the hits with a marker and took pictures.

Once inside, I measured the approximate area of each grouping using graph paper. (Hold the nerd jokes…I long ago embraced my inner geekiness!) The smaller the area, the better for the rifle/ammo combo.

Colt with a Ciener Conversion

Ciener Colt
    s4ujow.jpg

Ciener Targets 1
    30u9rms.jpg

Ciener Targets 2
    29bhldl.jpg

Ciener Targets 3
    hrkfb9.jpg

I had one failure to feed with Aguila ‘Interceptor’ ammo.

Spike’s Upper

Spikes Upper rifle
    rvbw5z.jpg

Spikes Targets1
    erk0bb.jpg

Spikes Targets 2
    2vi42de.jpg

Spikes Targets 3
    v5ifwz.jpg

I had one failure to feed with Aguila ‘Interceptor’ ammo and two stovepipes with American Eagle brand ammunition.

Ruger 10/22

Ruger rifle
    2ik6zhe.jpg

Ruger Targets1
    106fyoo.jpg

Ruger Targets 2
    10gidfr.jpg

I was having some difficulty with the Nikon scope. There was some blurriness and I noticed the image ‘jump’ occasionally. I am wondering if the cold temperatures affected the scope or if there is a problem with the scope. The performance of the rifle during this range session was disappointing.

I had one failure to fire after two firing pin strikes with Winchester ‘333’ bulk ammunition.

Results - Rifles

The most accurate rifle of the three was the Spikes Upper with an average grouping size of 5.0 sq.in.

The least accurate of the three rifles was the Ruger 10/22 with an average group size of 8.1 sq.in.

The Ciener conversion had an average group size of 6.8 sq.in.

I was not surprised that the Spikes was more accurate than the Ciener conversion system. It has the correct barrel dimensions and twist. What did surprise me was that the Ruger 10/22 didn’t perform at least as well as the Ciener conversion rifle. As I mentioned above, there may be an issue with the optic.

So, what is the impact for a shooter debating between a dedicated upper and a .22 conversion kit? An average group size of 5.0 sq.in (dedicated upper performance) equates to a circle with a diameter of 2.5 inches. That circle for the conversion kit would be 2.94 inches. Draw those two circles on a piece of paper to get the visual impact…..it’s not much difference.

However, to be fair, I did enjoy shooting the Spikes dedicated upper system. It’s a very smooth, fun-to-shoot rifle! And, there is a measurable improvement in accuracy if a dedicated system is the way you chose to go.

See the summaries below for the performance by ammunition brand for each rifle.

Ciener Converson Summary
    2ur8p39.jpg

Spike’s Upper Summary
    2znr151.jpg

Ruger 10/22 Summary
    vczdb5.jpg

Results - Ammunition

Although comparing ammo brands wasn’t originally a main goal of this range report, it was easy to do. I’ve often heard the advice to find the ammo types that your rifle ‘likes’. This seems to be particularly true with .22 caliber firearms.

The Spikes upper liked Centurion and Aguila ‘Interceptor’ ammo.

The Ciener conversion liked American Eagle, Winchester ‘XPert HV’ and CCI ‘Mini-Mags.’

The Ruger 10/22 liked American Eagle, CCI ‘Mini-Mag HP’, Winchester ‘333’ bulk, and CCI ‘Mini-Mags’

Although it was 20 degrees out, I didn’t have any feeding or operating problems that I could associate specifically with the temperature.

Another observation I made: Ammunition brand affects the zero of the rifle. I didn’t spend lots of time getting a perfect zero on each rifle to start (it was cold!). However, I noticed that the group center moved a bit depending on ammo type. (Go back and scan through the pictures of the targets.) For the shooter, that means knowing what ammo brand your firearm likes and setting the zero with that ammo. If you’re going to a match or Appleseed training, always uses just one brand of ammo during the event. Mixing brands will frustrate you as the zero seems to drift around!

For readers interested in more information about the Spikes Upper, here is a link to a previous Range report on INGO:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/60064-range_report_spikes_dedicated_22ar_dial-up_warning.html

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Thanks for making an easy choice for me!!! Such good info. I know the 10/22 isn't stellar out of the box, so maybe it's an AR conversion or a Marlin/Savage.

+1 for you 'love my woods'

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    AWESOME report I tried to rep you but I must have recently rep'ed and it won't let me again.

That ruger was shooting horrible. I'm guessing the scope has something to do with it. I had a scope go south on me and was getting better groups with irons.

Your data pretty much confirms what most people think about the kit\ upper choice. However that kit doesn't do bad when you consider a upper cost about 3x as much

I'd love to see some wolf match target in that spikes to see what it is capable of.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Great range report! Now when I get the money I'll prob just go with one of the conversions instead of the dedicated upper. I figured the difference would be more than that.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Excellent!

I know that my CZ-452 really likes the American Eagle stuff. Glad my rifle's not the only one.

Now if I could only find it in stores...

-J-

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Great job as always, Dave!

What I like about my .22 conversion bolt is that I can drop it into any of my ARs and still retain that gun's main features (stock/grip, sights, trigger) for the purpose of commonality in training. And I'm willing to bet that at 25 yards and in, shooting offhand (which is the type of shooting I do with my conversion) that the accuracy difference between a drop-in kit and a dedicated upper would be even less significant.

Last edited:

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    Excellent report, thank you Lovemywoods.

Your data pretty much confirms what most people think about the kit upper choice. However that kit doesn't do bad when you consider a upper cost about 3x as much.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. The dedicated upper certainly did better, but I wouldn't say it put the conversion unit to shame.

Actually, I'm rather relieved by that.

I wanted a dedicated upper or complete rifle, but settled on a CMMG conversion kit a few months ago (after going to buy one of the then-new Colt .22s and being underwhelmed, I walked out with that kit). It does OK, and better in some barrels than others, but nothing spectacular. I have had the thought that I should've gone with a dedicated upper or rifle, but then I remind myself of a few things:
    1) I bought it to practice AR manipulation skills. I usually want the most accurate rifle I can get, but OK accuracy is good enough accuracy in this case.
    2) I didn't have to buy a new red dot sight, stock, etc to (almost) match my "real" AR.
    3) The money saved, on the kit vs upper or rifle, and on the junk I'd hang on it, would allow me to buy more .22 mags, or ammo, or...

Sigh.
    OK.
    I still want a Spikes.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Economics of a .22 conversion

How many rounds of .22 must I fire to ‘pay’ for the conversion?

Let’s assume the following:

.223 ammo averages $0.35 per round
    .22 ammo averages $0.05 per round
    .22 conversion bolt and 3 magazines cost $220

You ‘save’ $0.30 ($0.35-$0.05) each time you pull the trigger.
    $220 divided by $0.30 = 733 rounds.

You can adjust the assumptions to fit your situation, but you’re still going to come out with a crossover point around 600-800 rounds. If you fire 600-800 rounds in your AR that you would otherwise have shot in .223, the conversion has paid for itself.

For training on the AR platform, weapons and accessory manipulation, and marksmanship fundamentals, the conversions fill a real need! :yesway:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Excellent! Looks like you're recycling the YSINTG targets too... which reminds me of the delicious bread!:D

Good eye mammynun! Yep, I run the backers until they just about fall apart!

As for the bread, that sounds good on a cold winter day. This afternoon I'm making a roast with potatoes and carrots...maybe some warm bread to go with it!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Good eye mammynun! Yep, I run the backers until they just about fall apart!

As for the bread, that sounds good on a cold winter day. This afternoon I'm making a roast with potatoes and carrots...maybe some warm bread to go with it!

Dang it, I just ate and now you're making me hungry again!!!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Repped, and a big thanks to lovemywoods (and a great username). I have the Ceiner kit and a brick of .22lr in my BOB which gives my AR a lot of versatility.

One note to add, the .22 is really dirty and I find that if I run more than a couple hundred rounds at a time through my upper with the kit then I need to clean it pretty thoroughly. The gas tube in particular seems to get way more gunk in it than when I am shooting .223. Eventually I want a dedicated upper to build a pest gun with, but the kit has been great.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    We need to get together at a mutual range before long. I want to give that conversion a try, help suss out the 10/22 and let you play with the Krink.

I suspect that 10/22's scope is the problem. It should have held to 2-3 inches easily.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    We need to get together at a mutual range before long. I want to give that conversion a try, help suss out the 10/22 and let you play with the Krink.

I suspect that 10/22's scope is the problem. It should have held to 2-3 inches easily.

I would love to 'suss out' the 10/22 with your help! :rockwoot:

The Krink sounds like fun..the true 'fire stick'!

I've never been to the Martinsville range if they allow you to bring visitors!! I also know of a range closer to me we could use...wink-wink.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Urimun
    Top Bottom