Is anyone actually selling Mosin rifles for $450 plus?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Mosins were adopted into service when the US was still fielding Trapdoors. Keep that in mind when comparing to others, it's a Russian design from the late 1880s. So kind of hard to dog it keeping that in mind.

I was big into shooting PU snipers about 10-15 years when they were being imported and much cheaper. Most of them are legit MOA rifles with good ammo and some stock fitting. I'd take the PU over the 03A4, the scope on the PU is far superior.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Mosins were adopted into service when the US was still fielding Trapdoors. Keep that in mind when comparing to others, it's a Russian design from the late 1880s. So kind of hard to dog it keeping that in mind.

I was big into shooting PU snipers about 10-15 years when they were being imported and much cheaper. Most of them are legit MOA rifles with good ammo and some stock fitting. I'd take the PU over the 03A4, the scope on the PU is far superior.
    I'm not dogging it, its just not what a few are posting here, not anywhere close.

Lets not forget that its was low pressure round then and still today. It takes that 29" barrel to get the most out of the slow burning powder low pressure round.
    A long fat rimmed low pressure cartridge was out of date long before WW2.
    To compare a 1940's Mosin Sniper with match ammo to a 1940's 4 groove 02A3 National Match rifle with a meager 24" barrel with match ammo is pretty funny.
    Lets also remember that while Mosins were still being produced we were fully fielded with an autoloader for the our Infantry.
    Mother Russia still cant field all of its troops with autoloaders.

Don't think or recall a Mosin sniper on the line for any vintage military matchs.

Now on a Mosin shooting MOA, man I would have to see that one in person myself.

Last edited:

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    It's pretty well documented that these rifles are capable of MOA accuracy if you would care to educate yourself. Its not like a 1 MOA bolt action is even that big of a deal. I know several guys taking theirs out to 1000 yards with great success. The longest I've gone was around 600 yards and making hits on steel silhouette targets was a piece of cake after getting the scope dialed up. I also wasn't comparing accuracy of the 03A4 vs PU, only that the PU scope is far superior. Anyways that is my unemotional take on my experience with it. You may return to your rambling now.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The Mosin was an appropriate rifle for an enormous cannon-fodder conscript army with no hope and no rights. It's was cheap to produce, simple to operate, and if it didn't work right it wasn't like you got to complain about it. They could hand them out with minimal training, and if you died and lost the rifle both you and it were cheap and easy to replace.
    -snip-
    Also, the average Soviet conscript didn't have the knowledge to properly maintain a rifle with a more intricate mechanism that fired corrosive ammo.
    So the rugged simply mosin fit them well.

I remember accounts of when the SVT-40 was issued to Soviet troops, and they weren't able to be trained to properly maintain them.
    They often jammed up and were just dropped in place.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    It's pretty well documented that these rifles are capable of MOA accuracy if you would care to educate yourself. Its not like a 1 MOA bolt action is even that big of a deal. I know several guys taking theirs out to 1000 yards with great success. The longest I've gone was around 600 yards and making hits on steel silhouette targets was a piece of cake after getting the scope dialed up. I also wasn't comparing accuracy of the 03A4 vs PU, only that the PU scope is far superior. Anyways that is my unemotional take on my experience with it. You may return to your rambling now.
    Ramblings LOL
    Let me know when you want to meet in Wabash at Bass & Bucks.
    You can show me banging steel with a WW2 or earlier Russian Mosin 91-30 out to 600 yds with ammo from WW2.
    I'll pay your $20.00 fee for shooting that day. Fair enough?

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Ramblings LOL
    Let me know when you want to meet in Wabash at Bass & Bucks.
    You can show me banging steel with a WW2 or earlier Russian Mosin 91-30 out to 600 yds with ammo from WW2.
    I'll pay your $20.00 fee for shooting that day. Fair enough?
    You are a legend in your own mind sir, and I find it funny that you now want to compare a National Match Rifle against a WW2 PU. Why not a legit 03a4 from WW2? Might it be that 04A4's didn't use national match barrels, or is it because there scopes were sub par compaired to other WW2 scopes?

Go to CMP matches in Alabama any time and you will see all sorts of 03A4' winning with new barrels and none with original scopes. Kind of like comparing a 40 Ford Coupe to a Kit built AC Cobra.

But keep rambling on sir, you seem pretty good at that.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Well, are you aware they were building national match 03A3 rifles back then.
    It's not a problem for you to use the most accurate 54R rifles and ammo available then.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    Well, are you aware they were building national match 03A3 rifles back then.
    It's not a problem for you to use the most accurate 54R rifles and ammo available then.
    1903a3's ? no, especially since National Match 03' where produced between 1928 to 1940, and 03a3 production was 1942-1944.

However USMC unertl sniper rifles (1903a1) where produced by USMC armorers from National Match rifles.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    1903a3's ? no, especially since National Match 03' where produced between 1928 to 1940, and 03a3 production was 1942-1944.

However USMC unertl sniper rifles (1903a1) where produced by USMC armorers from National Match rifles.
    Boy you told me. They still have better quality and performance than any Russian 91/30. LOL

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    5.5 million dead Russians would agree with you. All of the US's service rifles bow down to the superior russian 91/30.
    I agree with you that plain Jane mosin's are nothing special. I wish you would stop quoting causality/KIA numbers in the way that you are. You need to realize the vast, vast, vast majority were people killed by: aerial bombing, artillery, and machine guns. Not to say rifleman didn't have an impact, but those numbers are not the argument you think they are.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I agree with you that plain Jane mosin's are nothing special. I wish you would stop quoting causality/KIA numbers in the way that you are. You need to realize the vast, vast, vast majority were people killed by: aerial bombing, artillery, and machine guns. Not to say rifleman didn't have an impact, but those numbers are not the argument you think they are.
    I'm old and very aware, all of my great uncles and both grand fathers served in WW2.
    In essence I was teasing you sir.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    M-1891  Sako 7.62x54Rmm Rifle

Lot 52: M-1891 Sako 7.62x54Rmm Rifle
    cal: 7.62x54Rmm, bolt-action, barrel: 31.5", flip up rear adjustable sight, shortened chamber, rare "Christmas Tree" marking indicating barrel refurbishment, possible chamber shortening at the Sako factory at Riimaki Finland, sn: 2354, Note: $25 transfer fee per firearm applies even if buyer has FFL

Ends:1/23/2024 6:34:34 PM
    Completed
    High bidder:
    $525.00
    Bids:36
    Bidding complet

From latest auction.

Top Bottom