Is anyone actually selling Mosin rifles for $450 plus?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I bought one for $99, when they were $99, not too impressed, shot it and moved on. Although I do like the SKS rifle......I'm not a collector, but if I were it would be Brit, and American service rifles, and handguns. Russian technology, is not my bag, that being said if I could ever afford and Krinkov I would buy it....just something giggly about a shorty AK, and I do actually like the 7.62x39 round

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I bought one for $99, when they were $99, not too impressed, shot it and moved on. Although I do like the SKS rifle......I'm not a collector, but if I were it would be Brit, and American service rifles, and handguns. Russian technology, is not my bag, that being said if I could ever afford and Krinkov I would but it....just something giggly about a shorty AK, and I do actually like the 7.62x39 round
    Yep, if only the Germans had designed and built the Mosins.
    I gotta ask, whats the love for a short fat military round that has zero accuracy and worthless downrange ballistics?

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    Mosins were made in the literal MILLIONS over the years. There’s no reason they aren’t still selling for $100 IMO. They’re nothing special for the most part, and they’re literally everywhere. Why anyone thinks one should be worth $400+ is beyond me, but I want whatever drugs they’re on…

Same goes for the BHP. Something near two million made, but when Browning said “we’re done,” suddenly a solid and reliable $600-700 pistol became an overnight diamond fetching twice that amount or more. Because they stopped making them. Literally no other reason. People suddenly said “yOu CaN’t GeT tHeSe AnY mOrE!!1!” and BAM, the market instantly started to rape buyers in the A. It’s a mental illness the firearms world suffers from, and it’s idiotic.

MrSmitty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Yep, if only the Germans had designed and built the Mosins.
    I gotta ask, whats the love for a short fat military round that has zero accuracy and worthless downrange ballistics?
    I've had pretty good accuracy from the 7.62x39, and it pretty affordable, until Uncle Joe banned import of some Russian ammo. I just like the thought of an affordable .30ish caliber round in a carbine...Grail guns for me are a Ruger American lefty in 7.62x39, or a Mini 30... Of course I love the .308, but that, to me, is more of a full power hunting/military round ( I want a Ruger SFAR) I do not now, nor have I ever worked for Ruger... just like them

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I've had pretty good accuracy from the 7.62x39, and it pretty affordable, until Uncle Joe banned import of some Russian ammo. I just like the thought of an affordable .30ish caliber round in a carbine...Grail guns for me are a Ruger American lefty in 7.62x39, or a Mini 30... Of course I love the .308, but that, to me, is more of a full power hunting/military round ( I want a Ruger SFAR) I do not now, nor have I ever worked for Ruger... just like them
    Whats good accuracy to you please?
    Banned Russian ammo and arms started way before biden my friend, way before.

MrSmitty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I just like the round, I really don't think I have to justify why, or what I like... I think if you could ask all the people killed by the 7.62x29 if they thought it were accurate, they might say yes. The 5.56 has been mostly considered a light round for military work, and for general killing, but seems to work for both needs. Now, can I eat my lunch?....

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I see the ordinary rifles selling for around $300 or so but $450 plus seems high to me. I do have a Remington that never left the US and not military marked that probably would sell for those prices.

Any experience getting those prices?
    $450 would be a good price for a Polish M44... actually that might be an incredible price these days.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Mosins were made in the literal MILLIONS over the years. There’s no reason they aren’t still selling for $100 IMO. They’re nothing special for the most part, and they’re literally everywhere. Why anyone thinks one should be worth $400+ is beyond me, but I want whatever drugs they’re on…
    Millions, yes, but then you gotta realize that there's people like me that hide racks of them in the vault...

Plus, the Russians are needing all they can get right now to put back into service.

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    For S&G's, I did a comparison. If 20 years ago you had $80 to invest and put it into a total US stock market fund (and reinvested the dividends), today you would have $629. If you bought a Mosin for $80 back then, today you would have ...?

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Mosins were made in the literal MILLIONS over the years. There’s no reason they aren’t still selling for $100 IMO.
    One reason is that there are many people out there that will buy literally dozens of them and just hoard them. I probably can't count on all my fingers and toes the number of people I know personally that own over a dozen of them.

Also, there are the untold numbers that were ruined when they were "sporterized" to one level or another.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    One reason is that there are many people out there that will buy literally dozens of them and just hoard them. I probably can't count on all my fingers and toes the number of people I know personally that own over a dozen of them.

lookaway-looking.gif

Also, there are the untold numbers that were ruined when they were "sporterized" to one level or another.
    deb8d030-d4b1-4cbd-a9d9-61456f56354a_text.gif

Basher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 3, 2022
    Lafayette
    I don’t have anything positive to say about the people who hoard and then resell at inflated prices, so I’ll just leave it at that… Hoarding just to hoard is an illness all it’s own, but if not done to inflate the market for resell then whatever, I guess.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have two china carbine ones I paid $49.00 each. Guy said pick the ones you want out of the pile.

Shot one kicked the crap out of me. Got some spam cans of ammo guess it's worth about 5,000?

mausermadness

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2023
    Fort Wayne
    That's for sure. How can you tell if it's an authentic Mosin sniper rifle or a bubba'd replica?
    Original PU scopes have domed screws on the turrets. There are sniper specific markings on the barrel shank as well. Lastly the one in the auction is a Ukraine Arsenal Refurb, but the mount bolts thru the receiver show raw metal on the receiver that should of been blued during the refurb

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I was offered $500 and some ammo for my m44 at the peak of 2020s bs. If it hadn't been my first center fire rifle I would have jumped on the deal but I just couldn't bring myself to let it go. Parents paid $60 for it 16 years ago at Dunhams. 4 years later they bought me a 91/30 for $120. For the surplus ammo I have a few packages stashed away somewhere that are still marked $4.50 for 20. Bought some ammo cheaper than that at a place in Huntington think I paid sub $3 for 20. Wish you could still get them for cheap.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom