• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    Having just returned from the Emerald Isle for my 25th anniversary, I must say I never gave much thought to Irish whiskey outside of Jameson's. I grew up in a largely Irish Catholic family and do not remember anything but Jameson's and stout. My wife wanted to visit the places Anthony Bourdain went to in Dublin which included the Celtic Whiskey Shop. My eyes were opened.

I have never been a fan of the peaty Scotch or dirty bourbons, even though the guys at the shop had me try Glenkichie, good stuff. It is usually hard to find a whiskey I like as I don't like sweet either. They recommended a bunch and I found many I thought really good, some that can even been found here (Kahn's). So I bought a few bottles and shipped them home just in time to celebrate my Cubs winning. Trying to decide if the Knappouge Castle 16 or the Kilbeggan 21 is my favorite of the ones I purchased. I now know Redbreast and Midleton are the standards. Teeling's Cask Strength and Powers John Lane are also very good. If looking for a more reasonably priced Irish Whiskey, one might try Writer's Tears.

If you every find yourself in Ireland I highly recommend the Celtic Whiskey Bar & Larder in Killarney also. They have whiskey classes and too many whiskey to name.

So what say you INGO? Your favorite whiskey?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm very envious! That sounds like an amazing trip. I'm a lover of Jameson' s myself. I have nothing of substance to add but wanted to say ig drives me nuts when a bqr doesn't carry Jameson's and the bartender suggests "but we have Bushmills". The only thing that tells me is that they don't drink Jameson.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    If you get a chance try Quiet Man The Quiet Man

It is a new distillery, and two years ago my folks brought me over a bottle. I have been carefully rationing it ever since.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Haven't ventured into the Irish stuff much at all.
    Right now I am stuck on Eagle Rare and any offering from Makers. :-/
    Although since I have started my "new" job back in June, my time here and sipping on whiskey has been next to non existent.

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    Haven't ventured into the Irish stuff much at all.
    Right now I am stuck on Eagle Rare and any offering from Makers. :-/
    Although since I have started my "new" job back in June, my time here and sipping on whiskey has been next to non existent.
    Was looking ata bottle of Eagle Rare the other day in the liquor store. Might have to try that one.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have an ongoing debate whether I prefer Bushmills green label or black label more. It is a pleasant thing to have a small measure in a Waterford tumbler with just a drip of water.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    I like Redbreast, but that is about it for Irish whiskey. Like scotch I find it all too hot for my liking, but Redbreast is smooth without the alcohol bite of most Irishes.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I like Redbreast, but that is about it for Irish whiskey. Like scotch I find it all too hot for my liking, but Redbreast is smooth without the alcohol bite of most Irishes.
    Loves me some Redbreast 12, or 12 Cask Strenght, alas, my mouth breather heathen friends don't like it because it's too strong?

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    My local Kroger is closing down. They put their alcohol on sale 50% off and if you purchased 6 bottles or more another 15% off. Picked up 5 pints of Jameson and a fifth of Jameson. Also a fifth of Woodford Reserve, a fifth of Jaegger, two fifths of Makers, a fifth of some rot gut

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My favorite is Gentleman Jack. Which is weird, cause I can't stand regular Jack.

Recently had some Woodford rye whiskey. Not generally a rye fan, but it was good.

I'll drink Jameson, but only if I have some Sprite to mix it with.;)

Top Bottom