Iraq veteran throws his medals and quits the Marines.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Combat will **** you up.

Too many emotional problems and not enough counseling.

Not everyone is emotionally equipped to handle the rigors of seeing their friends blown to bits and being required to kill people.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Even the Corps needs some chlorine added to the pool once in a while. I doubt he will be missed. That having been said, everyone is entitled to their own belief system.

I might add, this video was shot in March 2008. I think there is more recent news regarding Iraq that is more relevant.

Last edited:

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    Congressional Medal of Honor or Coffin with Metal Handles.

Seriously though, I have several friends that have been on various trips to Afgan and Iraq in various roles. So many things go on over there that are not said and I've seen what it can do to these men and women. It does appear that there isn't enough done to take care of them when they come home.

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    Well........... BYE!

wellbye.jpg

radonc73

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Lowell
    His medals, his freedom of speech seems like he has every right to do it. I don't agree with doing it but this is a free country, somewhat. I am at work and cann't get the video but can you really just quit the USMC? PCS ETS yes quit no.

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    HE VOLUNTEERED!~
    What did he expect from the Corps? To go to prom with the enemy?
    If ya can't mentally hack it, join the peace corps!
    Hard men are called to do hard ****!

HTFU or STFU!

Semper Fi!

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Those that drum the drums of war won't like this video so much and will certainly ridicule this soldier for speaking out.
    Really...
    WTH is that supposed to mean anyway?!
    Combat will **** you up.

Too many emotional problems and not enough counseling.

Not everyone is emotionally equipped to handle the rigors of seeing their friends blown to bits and being required to kill people.
    Personally, I think there is almost to much Counseling...

I also feel that there are LOTS of Veterans who are riding the I have a Problem train to VA Entitlements that could really be better used by Persons with real issues...
    Because maybe he believes everyone is entitled to your sig line...maybe...
    Maybe you can live my Sig line...
    HE VOLUNTEERED!~
    What did he expect from the Corps? To go to prom with the enemy?
    If ya can't mentally hack it, join the peace corps!
    Hard men are called to do hard ****!

HTFU or STFU!

Semper Fi!
    GerryOwen!!!

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I am not sure why I am supposed to care one way or the other.

"Man Quits job at Gas Station, throws away 30 years of service watch"

Pretty much the same deal.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Stay away from the IVAW... nothing but a liberal funded group of folks.

Remember Markos Moulitsas Zúniga (founder of liberal d-bag site Daily KOS) is a veteran as well.

Pair this guys video up with Bin Laden's "Paper Tiger" speach... more ammo for the bad guys...

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I wonder if maybe he joined under the foolish assumption that any violence he saw or was ordered to commit would be in the service of freedom and the best interests of his fellow Americans.

I recall a couple veterans of a war a few decades back who felt the same way.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Personally, I think there is almost to much Counseling...

I also feel that there are LOTS of Veterans who are riding the I have a Problem train to VA Entitlements that could really be better used by Persons with real issues...

GerryOwen!!!

I don't know about too much counseling, but you can definitely get the wrong counseling. You don't send a combat vet with PTSD to a marriage counselor. Although, I do think that probably happens. It's also silly to think you can help someone who doesn't really want it, and is just going through the motions. Counseling is like supervised self help.

As long as there's someone handing out freebies, there will be someone trying to take advantage of it.

I addressed this in another thread as well. People who have real problems often don't like to admit they have real problems, because that means something is wrong with them, and no one wants to admit that they're broken.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I don't know this guy or what he's been through, nor did I serve with him. However, he sounds like a fairly weak individual just based on that video. "My first confirmed kill, dude was just standing there, I wasted him. Third confirmed kill, dude just riding his bike, we wasted him. (paraphrasing of course). WTF man? I know innocents die, welcome to war, but dam. In none of my tours did I ever even witness just out right blatant "hey everyone, there some people, lets kill them!".

He should have said something more like "Eat the apple, F the Corps, I have no balls, morality, or the intestinal fortitude to stand up for myself." Had I ever received an order to just smoke a random innocent person (we did some of that, but not intentionally. meaning we were convinced they were not innocent at the time) I would have told whomever was giving that order to pound sand.

Jeremy hit the nail on the head about PTSD/anger/mental issues! There are way to many guys that go over, get home, get out and start looking for handouts! Maybe if they publicize some of the stupid sh$t they did over there it'll make getting paid easier. Suck it up son, you went to war, bad sh*t happens. If you were a monster over there, you made those choices, not the Corps. Take ownership of your actions.

CBR1000rr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    In an eastern valley
    It sounds like (my opinion which may or may not be wrong) that everyone who's commented has missed the point of his speach in this video.What I gained from this video is that he quit not because of what he did but because of the reaction by his superiors to what he did as well as the 2 faces of war. War is not the sensless killing of innocent civillians but the way he protrayed it, that is exactly what he was doing and that was what was "encouraged". For a CO to offer a reward of 4 days leave to any soldier who's first kill is at the tip of a knife is in my mind an implication that you are to kill who you can and let God sort them out.

War, for those who've seen it first hand, carries a lot of baggage. To say that there is too much counseling or not enough is a bigoted statement. The bagge that accompanies war varies from man to man and woman to woman. It doesn't just affect those who participate but those who love those who participate. The amount of support needed will vary greatly. A man who's harder than most isn't in need of any less support than a weaker man. A weaker man simply doesn't have the ability to suppress his feelings or emotions.

If you want to know who a man really is, send him to war and observe him when he returns. Take that same man and observe him when he interacts with with another soldier who's shared in the experience. Take those two observations and form your opinion before you say you know what it's like for a returning soldier.

Juggernaut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2010
    Owosso Mi
    I wonder if maybe he joined under the foolish assumption that any violence he saw or was ordered to commit would be in the service of freedom and the best interests of his fellow Americans.

I recall a couple veterans of a war a few decades back who felt the same way.
    THEY were drafted... HE volunteered...:dunno:

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    As saying goes..... war is hell .......some have problems dealing with it .......i hope this guy gets the help he needs......and not be taken advantage of by special interest groups.......:twocents:

Top Bottom