• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    The small attack boat tactics reminds me of the military simulation "Millenium Challenge" in 2002 where the US Navy actually lost in the first day. Hopefully they learned something from that exercise so it doesn't become reality.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    OK, I have to admit it...the longer I thought about this drill, the funnier it got.

I just have to think that Iran is trying to out-stoopid N. Korea right now. That's the only thing I could come up with after I stopped laughing.

They might as well see if using a rubber band gun will take down an elephant--might have a better set of odds trying that than taking on a US carrier for realzies.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland

Not really.
    Carriers by themselves have very little to directly defend themselves, other than a few M-2s and (I don't think they even have these anymore) Sea Sparrow anti-air missiles.
    Their air wing, of course, is there, but it still has to be aloft when the SHTF, so it's a pretty defenseless target by itself, a very big and tempting target at that.
    That's why you invariably see a battle group surrounding these bird farms, composed of cruisers, destroyers, frigates, and (you won't ever see it, but it's there nonetheless) a sub or two.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Small boat swarms are a real threat to a carrier, not unlike missile swarms.

The issue, of course, is that carriers travel alone pretty much never...and a carrier strike group has a MASSIVE amount of firepower available to defend the carrier.

But hey, let them exercise...

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    OK, I have to admit it...the longer I thought about this drill, the funnier it got.

I just have to think that Iran is trying to out-stoopid N. Korea right now. That's the only thing I could come up with after I stopped laughing.

They might as well see if using a rubber band gun will take down an elephant--might have a better set of odds trying that than taking on a US carrier for realzies.

The DPRK scares me a lot more than Iran. Korea at least has some decent Russian equipment.

North Korea reveals its 'stealth' ship-destroyer in warning to Seoul and the US | Daily Mail Online

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    INGO could reenact that video with a cardboard topped jon boat loaded down with tannerite on the White river.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    A swarm of fast boats might make decent cover for the approach and attack of one or more of Iran's diesel-electric Russian-built submarines. That such an attack might not be survivable would not necessarily be a deterrent to the Iranians, and the propaganda victory of a successful sinking of a US Carrier would be worth the loss of their entire navy.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Not really.
    Carriers by themselves have very little to directly defend themselves, other than a few M-2s and (I don't think they even have these anymore) Sea Sparrow anti-air missiles.
    Their air wing, of course, is there, but it still has to be aloft when the SHTF, so it's a pretty defenseless target by itself, a very big and tempting target at that.
    That's why you invariably see a battle group surrounding these bird farms, composed of cruisers, destroyers, frigates, and (you won't ever see it, but it's there nonetheless) a sub or two.

They don't have the phalanx?

Top Bottom