• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EatMeerkats

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2008
    Adaptive Consulting and Training has a one-day class that is exactly what you describe. It is geared primarily toward USPSA (and the lecture portion will focus on USPSA rules), but if you enroll in the class I will gladly assist Coach and broaden the scope to encompass IDPA as well.

Adaptive Consulting & Training
    On a related note, will you guys be offering competition pistol 101 again this year? My friend, who you didn't get to meet on Sunday due to your absence, is very interested in taking the class.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    keep your muzzle down range.
    keep your finger off the trigger.
    keep your gun unloaded and in the holster unless told otherwise.
    try to stay on your feet and get all your hits, don't worry about speed.
    let the RO/SOs know you're new.

do those things and you'll be successful and have a great time at either.

try them both and see what's a better fit for you. and try them at multiple clubs so as to not let one experience completely determine your experience.

-rvb

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Great advice here across the board. I hope over the next few years, with all the new gun owners, we can get a lot of them to shoot competitively. I can honestly say that I never had the gun handling skills that I now have until I started competing. I've still yet to win a match, but that doesn't really matter that much.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    keep your muzzle down range.
    keep your finger off the trigger.
    keep your gun unloaded and in the holster unless told otherwise.
    try to stay on your feet and get all your hits, don't worry about speed.
    let the RO/SOs know you're new.

do those things and you'll be successful and have a great time at either.

try them both and see what's a better fit for you. and try them at multiple clubs so as to not let one experience completely determine your experience.

-rvb

:yesway:

and have fun! :shoot:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    On a related note, will you guys be offering competition pistol 101 again this year? My friend, who you didn't get to meet on Sunday due to your absence, is very interested in taking the class.

Bring us 15 more people and we'll do it. :D

Actually, let's let Coach check his schedule. Maybe we can do something in the fall. There is always the option of private instruction as well.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    Adaptive Consulting and Training has a one-day class that is exactly what you describe. It is geared primarily toward USPSA (and the lecture portion will focus on USPSA rules), but if you enroll in the class I will gladly assist Coach and broaden the scope to encompass IDPA as well.

Adaptive Consulting & Training

We also have an instructional league that usually meets twice a month at different locations. The league is operated like a USPSA match, but you get to try each of the stages/drills twice. The first time you'll get some hints on how to approach the stage, then before the second we'll critique your performance and offer suggestions how you might improve on the second try. Many of our students have made excellent, sometimes dramatic progress, through this program. Plus, it's a lot of fun.

Ultimately, as was mentioned, why bother limiting yourself to one or the other? Any gear that is within IDPA rules may also be used in USPSA, although you may need a few more magazines, so you can use the same gun, holster, etc. for both.

:+1:ACT training as well. I recommend it highly. I believe I started with basic competition course in March or April of '09. I have taken several course and have nothing but great things to say. I've read AAR's regarding several different top name training courses on this sight. From what I have read, it is not much different that an ACT course. Coach, Rhino, ObiJohn and the rest of the ACT crew all do a fantastic job.

I am living proof of the progress. I am a little hard on myself, but looking back at past match scores, I have made tremendous improvements. I owe a lot of that to Coach and Rhino. :twocents: :patriot:

With that being said, I agree with others that you should try both. Pick the one you like or pick them both. Have fun and get some rounds downrange.

The shooting community is unique. Everyone is quick to help you get started and give you pointers (well that is my experience with USPSA).

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    Come out this saturday 7-31-2010 to ACCs open house I am pretty sure they are going to have samples of each disipline set up for you to try

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

Maybe in the fall. Bring him to the league out at Riley on the 14th.

Owen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Fishers
    what the best way to start in idpa?

Bring a handgun (at least 9mm), 200 rounds of ammo (you won't use anywhere near that much), and 5 magazines. Also bring glasses and ear protection.
    Show up, tell them you are new, do what they tell you.

I will echo what others have said, I enjoy USPSA more. That said, IDPA is probably better for a newbie. Better yet, look for a steel challenge match. You will learn the way matches work in a low pressure enviroment. Once you shoot a few of those, you won't have any trouble adapting to other competitions...
    Have fun!

Top Bottom