• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Looks like Iowa has seen the light and is converting to a SHALL ISSUE system for carrying handguns. While details are a bit scarce, it looks like they will now adopt reciprocity that is akin to the Indiana law which honors EVERY state's license/permit.

Culver signs bill making Iowa “shall issue” gun permit state | GazetteOnline.com

Now that all of the surrounding states to IL and WI have this, I wonder if the prestigious government in IL will adopt it? The state seems to be on the verge of electing a pro-gun Governor, which would be a milestone for Illinois. Not sure if there is any shift to the right in WI or what elections they have going on this cycle in that state.

Illinois will change to:
    * Shall Issue
    * Standardized Training
    * A 30-day time limit on issuing a permit
    * A tight appeals process
    * Universal recognition of all out of state permits
    * No ability for the Sheriff to record make, model, SN, or ammunition type of any weapon during the permit process
    * Removal of all individual Federal disqualifiers, replaced with one sentence
    * Permits good for five years
    * Permits are $50 (maybe the failing IL economy has a chance to make some $$$, and they can stop firing teachers because Quinn can't balance a budget)​

I'm waiting for a response from Chicago's Mayor Richie Daley and Gov. Quinn on how this bill is going to turn Iowa into the Wild West.

It obviously is ridiculous that WI and IL are the only 2 states left without some form of CCW. I guess "common sense" isn't so common. . .

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    I doubt that Daley will ever back down from his antigun ways & admit that he is wrong ,but the almighty dollar does have an effect on ones pride in helping chitowns economy. I hope that he concedes that allowing law abiding citizens to carry is one of the best ways to deter the rising crime rate in chicago

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I always get a little sad when I see gun owners getting excited about having a training requirement and a permission slip to exercise a right.

Talk to the people of Illinois and see if training a paper would make them happy.

with great power comes great responsibility

Now I agree that we shouldn't need the states permission but I also agree there are idiots and the worst thing about the training and paper that it doesn't weed out all the idiots, and in my opinion the scariest people out there are the people who think their safety works or the gun is unloaded and don't mind sweeping people with their "safe" gun.

As I told people the other night, If a gun wasn't at least a little dangerous then it really wouldn't be much use

techno.m3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I always get a little sad when I see gun owners getting excited about having a training requirement and a permission slip to exercise a right.
    I'm sure you were able to drive fine without taking a drivers test too. This is selfish thinking. The reason for training and the reason to carry a gun are the same; there are idiots EVERYWHERE.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smoking357

I'm sure you were able to drive fine without taking a drivers test too. This is selfish thinking. The reason for training and the reason to carry a gun are the same; there are idiots EVERYWHERE.
    Driving is not guaranteed in ANY amendment that I know of. I do agree with your point that idiots are everywhere, and I would be the first to vote in favor of optional free basic firearm training classes provided by individual states, but REQUIRING training is in clear violation of our 2nd amendment rights. On the other hand, it is a step in the right direction for Iowa

techno.m3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Driving is not guaranteed in ANY amendment that I know of. I do agree with your point that idiots are everywhere, and I would be the first to vote in favor of optional free basic firearm training classes provided by individual states, but REQUIRING training is in clear violation of our 2nd amendment rights. On the other hand, it is a step in the right direction for Iowa
    Driving is a privilege, not a right. You are right about that.

The second amendment does clearly state the right to bear arms so I agree on that as well. I'm not sure about you though but I have seen so many individuals who should not be anywhere near a firearm.

At the range over spring break, some kid went out and bought an ak-47 with ZERO firearm knowledge. He didn't know range rules or how to operate the gun. It was scary. I think that some type of basic training should be instituted in order to protect others.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    At the range over spring break, some kid went out and bought an ak-47 with ZERO firearm knowledge. He didn't know range rules or how to operate the gun. It was scary. I think that some type of basic training should be instituted in order to protect others.

I cannot disagree more emphatically. Licensure is the antithesis of a right.

techno.m3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Acting on your rights is always a selfish act. Selfishness is good.

Without selfishness, nothing happens.
    Not always.

I do agree that selfishness drives the economy and can be a good thing. Its also the reason that the healthcare reform is going to cost three times what was estimated. People will take advantage of it.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    The bottom line is that it would be undeniably GREAT if Illinois and Wisconsin would adopt some type of issuing process. It would be a HUGE step over the draconian crap they have in place now.

techno.m3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I cannot disagree more emphatically. Licensure is the antithesis of a right.
    You are right, it just bothers me when my life is in danger at the range because the idiot next to me keeps swinging his loaded firearm around at the range or standing in front of the red line on a cold range.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    You guys are overlooking some very good news by simply keying in on one point.

Currently IOWA does not permit reciprocity with ANY other state's carry license/permit. Under the new SHALL issue law it appears that they will now honor EVERY other state's license/permit. That adds yet another state to which we may travel in safety.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    You guys are overlooking some very good news by simply keying in on one point.

Currently IOWA does not permit reciprocity with ANY other state's carry license/permit. Under the new SHALL issue law it appears that they will now honor EVERY other state's license/permit. That adds yet another state to which we may travel in safety.

Very good point.

We need to make sure and realize what a victory this is.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

It's less that people are getting excited about training requirements and permission slips than it is people pleased to see progress in the right direction (from training requirements and a permission slip that can be denied you on a whim and/or subjective criteria to one that must be issued if you meet certain, specific, objective criteria.

Obviously, Constitutional carry is the ideal, the goal for which we should be striving in all fifty states, DC, and any and all US territories, but let's face it: IL and WI are not going to go straight from No Issue to that. Hell, we can't even get Indiana to hear a bill on unlicensed OC or the removal of state-statute-mandated "gun-free-zones" (aka criminal protection zones), and we're one of the best states as far as gun laws go. Yes, yes, I know, LTCH required for any carry, yadda yadda..We do NOT have laws about guns in public gatherings, no laws about guns in bars, banks, restaurants (with or without 51% of their income derived from the sale of alcohol). No laws forbidding OC specifically, nothing about "printing", etc., etc. Oh, and our LTCH is shall-issue at age 18, not 21 as so many others have,

So I ask you: Should not, for example, Texans or Floridians be pleased at losing the onerous "concealed only" requirement? Or should we only consider it a good thing if a state eliminates ALL gun laws, 100%, without exception.

As for me, I'll consider any gain, any recognition and respect of individual rights a good thing, provided it does not tread additionally upon the rights of anyone else.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    It's less that people are getting excited about training requirements and permission slips than it is people pleased to see progress in the right direction (from training requirements and a permission slip that can be denied you on a whim and/or subjective criteria to one that must be issued if you meet certain, specific, objective criteria.

Obviously, Constitutional carry is the ideal, the goal for which we should be striving in all fifty states, DC, and any and all US territories, but let's face it: IL and WI are not going to go straight from No Issue to that. Hell, we can't even get Indiana to hear a bill on unlicensed OC or the removal of state-statute-mandated "gun-free-zones" (aka criminal protection zones), and we're one of the best states as far as gun laws go. Yes, yes, I know, LTCH required for any carry, yadda yadda..We do NOT have laws about guns in public gatherings, no laws about guns in bars, banks, restaurants (with or without 51% of their income derived from the sale of alcohol). No laws forbidding OC specifically, nothing about "printing", etc., etc. Oh, and our LTCH is shall-issue at age 18, not 21 as so many others have,

So I ask you: Should not, for example, Texans or Floridians be pleased at losing the onerous "concealed only" requirement? Or should we only consider it a good thing if a state eliminates ALL gun laws, 100%, without exception.

As for me, I'll consider any gain, any recognition and respect of individual rights a good thing, provided it does not tread additionally upon the rights of anyone else.

Blessings,
    Bill

Well said, as always, Bill.

Rep will be inbound as soon as possible.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    IOWA will change to:
    • Shall Issue
    • Standardized Training
    • A 30-day time limit on issuing a permit
    • A tight appeals process
    • Universal recognition of all out of state permits
    • No ability for the Sheriff to record make, model, SN, or ammunition type of any weapon during the permit process
    • Removal of all individual Federal disqualifiers, replaced with one sentence
    • Permits good for five years
    • Permits are $50

Fixed that for you. I was really confused. But then I found what might have been your source, which confirmed for me that you'd really meant to say Iowa there (Illinois was on the mind, I understand).

Top Bottom