• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    So I have been looking at full size military belt fed support weapons. I wonder if a support weapon chambered in a pistol caliber would work? A belt fed 9mm (Replace with most pistol calibers. 40,45 ect ect) would be cheaper to supply to the troops and the and would be lighter than a 308. The weapon could be considered a belt fed smg yes?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I suppose that would be helpful for ranges < 100m. Remember that a .308 is effective out to 1000m or so, where as the 9mm loses most of its punch by 200m, and has dropped a few feet as well. Any engagements at that range would require lobbing the rounds in.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    I suppose that would be helpful for ranges < 100m. Remember that a .308 is effective out to 1000m or so, where as the 9mm loses most of its punch by 200m, and has dropped a few feet as well. Any engagements at that range would require lobbing the rounds in.
    It would be more of a light support weapon then.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The Soviets had something close in the PPSh 43 smg. While not belt fed, it could be fed by a drum and give a pretty good burst of sustained fire. It shot the 7.62x25, which was a very hot pistol round, know for its ability to pierce the primative body armor (such as steel helmets) used in the WWII era. .357 is hotter, but along the same lines in that it is a necked pistol case, so allows for more powerder and higher pressures.

But at the end of the day, the heavier machine guns were rolled in when they needed more effective suppressing fire.

Top Bottom