• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Good work guys. I'm down 119# since last Thanksgiving. I really haven't tried IF but I have reduced sugars and lots of carbs. Like most others, I'm a snacker, a big eater, and I love sweets. I've pretty much been able to walk away from the sweet stuff which has been far easier than I thought it would be. I've reduced breads, pastas, etc. and I'm trying to average <1500 cals per day. So far, I'm averaging 10#/month and I'm at a weight now that I haven't seen since before my kids were born (so, we're talking about over 2 decades now).

Getting started is the hard part. Keep up the good work.

Love hearing these stories. Great job!!!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Good work guys. I'm down 119# since last Thanksgiving. I really haven't tried IF but I have reduced sugars and lots of carbs. Like most others, I'm a snacker, a big eater, and I love sweets. I've pretty much been able to walk away from the sweet stuff which has been far easier than I thought it would be. I've reduced breads, pastas, etc. and I'm trying to average <1500 cals per day. So far, I'm averaging 10#/month and I'm at a weight now that I haven't seen since before my kids were born (so, we're talking about over 2 decades now).
    Getting started is the hard part. Keep up the good work.

:wow: I'm impressed. 1500 calories/day for nearly a year: tremendous. :thumbsup:
    10#/month is great consistency.
    All I'm getting done on the carb-cycling approach so far is averaging 2#/week & this week I'm hoping to get that.
    Only been 20 days, and I see its going to harder each week, and will probably slow down to 1#/wk.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    :wow: I'm impressed. 1500 calories/day for nearly a year: tremendous.
    10#/month is great consistency.
    All I'm getting done on the carb-cycling approach so far is averaging 2#/week & this week I'm hoping to get that.
    Only been 20 days, and I see its going to harder each week, and will probably slow down to 1#/wk.

I think it's important to note, especially for someone reading this thread and thinking about making the plunge-- I didn't start right off at 1500 cals/day. The first couple of months, I tried to go less than 2000 and I was ready to chew my arm off the first couple of weeks. Then I rolled back think 1750 would be a good number to be at. But I found as I was getting results, it got easier to scale back here and there...mostly by cutting out between meal snacks. It was a bit of a journey. It's like most other things--you have to want it badly enough and be willing to work and sacrifice for it.

It certainly makes the "cheat days" something to look forward to! :D

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I think it's important to note, especially for someone reading this thread and thinking about making the plunge-- I didn't start right off at 1500 cals/day. The first couple of months, I tried to go less than 2000 and I was ready to chew my arm off the first couple of weeks. Then I rolled back think 1750 would be a good number to be at. But I found as I was getting results, it got easier to scale back here and there...mostly by cutting out between meal snacks. It was a bit of a journey. It's like most other things--you have to want it badly enough and be willing to work and sacrifice for it.

It certainly makes the "cheat days" something to look forward to! :D

That is why I love the carb-cylcing approach it has a carb intake sequence for each day of:
    Low -medium - High - Low - Low - Medium - High

My choice of days:
    Sunday = High
    Monday = Low
    Tuesday = Medium
    Wednesday = High
    Thursday = Low
    Friday = Low
    Saturday = Medium

The High carb days make you feel like you're on a "cheat day."
    There are corresponding fats & proteins that accompany the low, medium & high carb days.
    When carbs are low, fats & proteins are high those days and inversely true.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Confession time.
    I knew it was coming and I would not be at my best, but it could have been worse. :dunno:
    I went to a fundraiser/dinner at a Church in Plainfield raising money for clinics/hospitals in Kenya (F.A.M.E. organization).
    I drank a quart of beef broth before I went to help me stay in control: didn't help much.
    I had crackers with my cheese appetizers (best crackers I'd eaten in my life (coming off a 38 hr. fast :dunno:).

I had not 1 but 2 dinner rolls (they were sitting right in front of me at the table :ugh:, and I haven't any bread hardly in 3 weeks).
    I had a SMALL piece of carrot cake for dessert (and it wasn't worth it, should have had the lemon bars instead :laugh:.

Victories:
    I didn't have any of the sweetened drinks (but that is an easy one).
    Didn't have 4-5 dinner rolls. :lmfao:
    Didn't have 2 helpings of mashed potatoes.
    Didn't have even more of the crackers, although I felt more of a failure in that area than any other.

I knew the scales would tell the truth (226) after being under 225 for 3 days, a victory.
    If I'm under 225 tomorrow it'll be good news, but I'll probably have to work next week to get under it, just like this week.
    I've always said I was 2 good meals away from gaining it all back.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    220# this am!!!!!!! new low!!!

Haven't been this weight for 2 yrs.
    I wasn't sure last week if this week I'd be able to stay under #225, but I have.
    It was my 4th goal, and taken me nearly 4 weeks to get there.

5th goal will be to get under 220#.
    I figure it will happen next week.
    Then the really hard 6th goal: staying under 220#.

When I was in my early 30s, this was my "fat" weight, and I'd lose 20#s every year to get back under 200#s.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

I wasn't sure last week if this week I'd be able to stay under #225, but I have.

When I was in my early 30s, this was my "fat" weight, and I'd lose 20#s every year to get back under 200#s.
    Slow and steady is the best way.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Congratulations.

(I'm hopeful I'll bread 200 lbs by Thanksgiving. That will mark 1 year on this journey for me).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Congratulations.
    (I'm hopeful I'll bread 200 lbs by Thanksgiving. That will mark 1 year on this journey for me).

WOW! I can't even imagine breaking 200#s, that would be like so many decades ago that I was there.
    Since it took me 4 weeks to lose the "easy" first 10#, it would probably take 20 weeks to get to 200# & longer to stay under.
    But, that would be a secret long-term goal, that would take a long time, and I never could stay under 200# even in my 30s.
    Short term I'd be happy to survive Thanksgiving (and through New Years) staying under 220#s.
    Today though, I broke 220# at 219# :rockwoot:
    If I can stay under 220# most of the days this coming week I'll be pleased (my 5th goal on my 5th week of this carb-cycling).
    Staying under 220# will be my 6th goal in the week after next.
    Yes, I believe in baby steps. :)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    :ugh: :facepalm: :wallbash:
    I'm not a happy camper.
    I have not lost any weight the past 2 weeks and I have been good, very good, but I stubbornly cannot get below 220 and stay there long enough to get below it.
    Unbelievable plateau!

I had only 1400 calories yesterday & I put on 2#!!!!!!!!!!!!I am blaming my scales. :dunno:
    I normally have below 2000 calories per day, with much lower on some days with carbs being the driving force.
    Evidently my body can survive w/o many carbs. :laugh:
    I have my BIG (in my mind) weigh-in tomorrow at 10:30 & was hoping to be close to 220# but I'm afraid not now, after 2 full weeks of no weight loss, I'm getting an attitude. :(

I had my blood test last week, & tomorrow's weigh in for motivation to be good.
    As of tomorrow I'll not have that support.
    That blood test better be sensational, or I'm eating bread. And potatoes. And pasta. And ice cream. All in 1 day, before noon, and again for lunch. Even before Thanksgiving, of which I'll simply drink my meals of gallons of wine to drown my sorrows.
    Or not. :rolleyes:
    There always my son I have to prove something to.
    At least my wife said she was proud of me yesterday.
    Tomorrow, I have 6 am & a 7:30 am breakfasts before my 10:30 yearly physical where I'll only be able to drink coffee before my weigh-in!
    This is easier to do retired, if I had the stress of a job, it would be 10 times harder.
    My "day" eating is easy, but it is dinner where the battle really begins, and not eating a snack before before bed (so you can sleep) & that's a low-carb snack: radishes, last night. :)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I've slacked for the last 1.5 weeks. I'm going to buckle down M-W while working and then I promise I'll be good Thursday - Sunday...

B/C I'm due for a weight "drop" I'm hoping I don't gain the holiday weight all this week.
    Usually I do fine and it's after Xmas that it's there (great denial system :laugh:).
    Weighing myself helps discipline, but when I go away for Xmas I'm not doing that: I'll take my scales so I can watch the weight gain this year. :dunno:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I planned another 40h fast today while I did a 24hr shift but apparently I work tomorrow. Oops.

going to do the fast then. But will take an amino acid supplement a few times

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Gonna brag a bit. I finally broke 200 pounds yesterday, on the eve of the anniversary of me starting this weigh loss program. Probably the first time in close to 30 years I've been this weight.

ccha8778

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    The Region
    :ugh: :facepalm: :wallbash:
    I'm not a happy camper.
    I have not lost any weight the past 2 weeks and I have been good, very good, but I stubbornly cannot get below 220 and stay there long enough to get below it.
    Unbelievable plateau!

I had only 1400 calories yesterday & I put on 2#!!!!!!!!!!!!I am blaming my scales. :dunno:
    I normally have below 2000 calories per day, with much lower on some days with carbs being the driving force.
    Evidently my body can survive w/o many carbs. :laugh:
    I have my BIG (in my mind) weigh-in tomorrow at 10:30 & was hoping to be close to 220# but I'm afraid not now, after 2 full weeks of no weight loss, I'm getting an attitude. :(

I had my blood test last week, & tomorrow's weigh in for motivation to be good.
    As of tomorrow I'll not have that support.
    That blood test better be sensational, or I'm eating bread. And potatoes. And pasta. And ice cream. All in 1 day, before noon, and again for lunch. Even before Thanksgiving, of which I'll simply drink my meals of gallons of wine to drown my sorrows.
    Or not. :rolleyes:
    There always my son I have to prove something to.
    At least my wife said she was proud of me yesterday.
    Tomorrow, I have 6 am & a 7:30 am breakfasts before my 10:30 yearly physical where I'll only be able to drink coffee before my weigh-in!
    This is easier to do retired, if I had the stress of a job, it would be 10 times harder.
    My "day" eating is easy, but it is dinner where the battle really begins, and not eating a snack before before bed (so you can sleep) & that's a low-carb snack: radishes, last night. :)

Have you considered trying prolonged fasting for a couple days while drinking salt water essentially then doing a refeed meal then doing another prolonged fast? Check out SnakeDiet on YouTube if you're interested in prolonged fasting. It works (for me at least). I was 256 to start the year, I'm 220 now.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Have you considered trying prolonged fasting for a couple days while drinking salt water essentially then doing a refeed meal then doing another prolonged fast? Check out SnakeDiet on YouTube if you're interested in prolonged fasting. It works (for me at least). I was 256 to start the year, I'm 220 now.

Short answer: No.
    When in my 20s & some of 30s I did prolonged fasts.
    My longest was 14 days, water only or maybe liquids only, I just don't remember since I would do it different ways, depending on this or that.
    Usually, I only did 7-10 days every year.

I do a full day fast 1st of every month, which ends up being 36-40 hours.
    Last month, since I had been on restricted carbs it was really on me, & I couldn't even sleep that night except for a couple of hours.
    This Sunday is the 1st, so I will do my full day fast and since I'll be eating some carbs this week, hopefully it will be like it used to be: hard, but doable.
    Tomorrow is my annual physical, and I intend to eat bread for my lunch! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom