• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Interesting read. I was most interested by the lack of looting or general mob mentality. I don't think we would be so fortunate here closer to larger population centers.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Yes. You can't apply their situation directly to ours. The area they were discussing was more outback (rural) than city. Lots of individual generators and more solar than we have. Even with those differences, there is good info there.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    I lived in Cincinnati when Hurricane Ike came through a few years ago. Strong winds knocked out power to much of the city. What's funny is Duke was quick to have the power back on to the 'hood places but some of the suburbs took a week or more to get power back.

It was chalked up to the hospitals and businesses needing power first and that's why they were serviced before the rest of the city but anyone who knows any better realizes the places where folks are wholly dependent on the government for basic necessities would be burned down within a matter of hours if the power remained out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We currently could survive much longer than than the 3 day period in the article. The issue would be defending our power sources and the fuel reserves to run them.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I spent two weeks w/o electricity in the winter after an ice storm hit. I lived in the middle of nowhere on a low priority for repair line. I used kerosene heaters in the crawl to keep the pipes from freezing and the fireplace for me.

I have always been a bit of a prepper, even then at 20 something, I was ready and able to get through it. I did go into town, was able to do this once the storm was over and the roads cleared, three days or so, and got myself more water. While I was waiting to pay, a very nice lady invited me over to her house for a hot meal and shower with her and her husband. I accepted. Mostly I ate from the grill and roasted wieners on the fire in the fireplace.

Spent another two weeks after the flooding in Terre Haute, the RedCross never did come in there until the water was gone, got a few hot meals from them then. FEMA was a joke. Mostly I ate off of a multifuel stove I still have and roasted without A/C. In all I made it fine, did have a few looters and vandals but I stopped them cold with my FAL and HK USP.

I am still fine and ready to survive for a while, though without insulin it will likely kill me if it were a total collapse.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I spent two weeks w/o electricity in the winter after an ice storm hit. I lived in the middle of nowhere on a low priority for repair line. I used kerosene heaters in the crawl to keep the pipes from freezing and the fireplace for me.

I have always been a bit of a prepper, even then at 20 something, I was ready and able to get through it. I did go into town, was able to do this once the storm was over and the roads cleared, three days or so, and got myself more water. While I was waiting to pay, a very nice lady invited me over to her house for a hot meal and shower with her and her husband. I accepted. Mostly I ate from the grill and roasted wieners on the fire in the fireplace.

Spent another two weeks after the flooding in Terre Haute, the RedCross never did come in there until the water was gone, got a few hot meals from them then. FEMA was a joke. Mostly I ate off of a multifuel stove I still have and roasted without A/C. In all I made it fine, did have a few looters and vandals but I stopped them cold with my FAL and HK USP.

I am still fine and ready to survive for a while, though without insulin it will likely kill me if it were a total collapse.

Medical limitations are seriously difficult to prep for.
    Spouse and I would be good for maybe a month depending.
    Looters and a$$hats in general would be our major concerns.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    Over 50% of Americans are on prescription drugs. Nearly half of those are necessary to sustain life. Factor in things like dialysis, oxygen, c-pap machines, etc., and once the power goes out or the trucks stop coming we'll see appx. 25% of the population die off within a few short months. Figure another 25% or so within the year since things like clean water and emergency care will also go out the window. Expect child mortality and age-related deaths to increase 100 fold.

Some say this will balance things out with the roving marauders. Only the strong will survive but it won't be strong like motorcycle gangs, it'll be strong like, "I don't get cholera."

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I wondered what "heat beads" are in Aussie parlance, so I Googled it. Apparently heat beads = charcoal. Learned something new.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Over 50% of Americans are on prescription drugs. Nearly half of those are necessary to sustain life. Factor in things like dialysis, oxygen, c-pap machines, etc., and once the power goes out or the trucks stop coming we'll see appx. 25% of the population die off within a few short months. Figure another 25% or so within the year since things like clean water and emergency care will also go out the window. Expect child mortality and age-related deaths to increase 100 fold.

Some say this will balance things out with the roving marauders. Only the strong will survive but it won't be strong like motorcycle gangs, it'll be strong like, "I don't get cholera."

You are most likely on point here.
    The spouse and I would not make it out much past the end of the meds on Hand.
    I am diabetic and she has deeper issues.
    Our Prep is mainly to give the kids a head start. The terrorists in my avatar for example. Buy them some time is about all we can do. It is all I really care to do.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You are most likely on point here.
    The spouse and I would not make it out much past the end of the meds on Hand.
    I am diabetic and she has deeper issues.
    Our Prep is mainly to give the kids a head start. The terrorists in my avatar for example. Buy them some time is about all we can do. It is all I really care to do.

Fortunately, we are far more likely to encounter shorter interruptions than Mad Max-level emergencies. There are some things that your personal preps cannot overcome. But that shouldn't stop you from preparing for those you can overcome or mitigate. People are far more likely to have to contend with weather-related outages, personal emergencies (death/health crisis, loss of a job, etc) and other such problems.

In your case, see if you can stock up more meds. Make sure that you have some way to keep refrigeration running to preserve those meds, etc. You may not be able to contend with years without medicine, but you still want to deal with problems that might affect you for weeks or more.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Fortunately, we are far more likely to encounter shorter interruptions than Mad Max-level emergencies. There are some things that your personal preps cannot overcome. But that shouldn't stop you from preparing for those you can overcome or mitigate. People are far more likely to have to contend with weather-related outages, personal emergencies (death/health crisis, loss of a job, etc) and other such problems.

In your case, see if you can stock up more meds. Make sure that you have some way to keep refrigeration running to preserve those meds, etc. You may not be able to contend with years without medicine, but you still want to deal with problems that might affect you for weeks or more.

WE are good for weeks and more.
    Power supply with fuel reserves.
    Plenty of food/water etc.
    Avg a month or better extra on Meds.
    Beyond this not sure.
    I agree. Weeks due to weather related issues is most likely what will be dealt with over a SHTF long term.

Even if just weeks our main issue would be defending our reserves.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Yeah, I keep a moth's worth around plus I have found a few Herbals that can lower my sugar some, cinnamon for one. Insulin only lasts a month or so w/o refrigeration, I live near a lake so I think I can keep it good by cooling in the water. Not sure how to handle kidney failure, they still work some but if they go, I supose it will be time to see my Maker, which isn't a bad thing now that I am Born Again.

Foos, water, a heat source and warm clothes, ammo... I will be OK as long as I last. Someone can take what is left after that as far as I care. :yesway:

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    When I built my new retirement home I installed a 20kw Generac whole house system with the automatic transfer switch. Now, about 30 seconds after the power goes out, the Generac kicks in and we are back online 100%. It runs off natural gas but I have an internal valve that lets me run off LP tanks if the gas lines are disrupted. I still keep my 7kw gasoline generator out in the garage. I have a diesel tractor so I always have 20-30 gallons of diesel on hand and I keep 40-50 gallons of gasoline on hand (stabilized with Stabil gas treatment). With my water well, own power supply, a wood burner and about 10-12 cords of firewood cut and split, I think I have the essential utilities taken care of for short term outages.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    When I built my new retirement home I installed a 20kw Generac whole house system with the automatic transfer switch. Now, about 30 seconds after the power goes out, the Generac kicks in and we are back online 100%. It runs off natural gas but I have an internal valve that lets me run off LP tanks if the gas lines are disrupted. I still keep my 7kw gasoline generator out in the garage. I have a diesel tractor so I always have 20-30 gallons of diesel on hand and I keep 40-50 gallons of gasoline on hand (stabilized with Stabil gas treatment). With my water well, own power supply, a wood burner and about 10-12 cords of firewood cut and split, I think I have the essential utilities taken care of for short term outages.
    Defense of those reserves is the challenge.

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    My first thought was that 1/2 full bottle of lamp oil under my sink. Maybe I should get a full bottle and a lamp. Just in case short term. You guys are probably way past that kinda basicness?:-)
    Morgan88

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    I agree that the longer power is out the more likely defending your home and stuff would be the question. Is it possible to need armed defense of every ground floor window 24hrs a day? What if there isn't enough to sleep and stand guard at the same time?
    Morgan88

Top Bottom