• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • musketjon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2023
    California
    I got my first AR15 2 years ago (after 40+ years of trigger time behind the M1 rifle) to shoot in XTC matches. I've been contemplating installing a NM float tube and handguards on it lately to try and improve my scores. I finally bit the bullet and ordered a CLE NM service rifle float tube kit for it a couple of weeks ago. I had it installed today. As soon as I get the chance, I'll give you a range report, be it good, bad or indifferent. I hope it will be an improvement and not all done for naught.

Jon

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You will be happy with it. The extra weight forward will assist the offhand stage. And you will be able to sling up tight to help you get 10 ring or smaller groups in the rapids.

I use RRA free float tubes in my service rifle and rattle battle rifle. Same principle and very similar in construction.

Hold hard...

musketjon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2023
    California
    You will be happy with it. The extra weight forward will assist the offhand stage. And you will be able to sling up tight to help you get 10 ring or smaller groups in the rapids.

I use RRA free float tubes in my service rifle and rattle battle rifle. Same principle and very similar in construction.

Hold hard...
    That's what I'm hoping for.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    This is what it looks like under the handguards. 25 years on the same free float tube. 4th barrel. Barrels last about 5,000 rounds. Doesn't matter who makes it. You'll know it's done for when you get uncalled elevation shots at 600 yards.

Do you use the GI web sling or a 1907 leather sling? I prefer the web sling but own both. Both need mods for proper use in highpower. If someone has not shown you, I can help.

Otherwise Google Illinois highpower. The best guide for setting up a sling that I know of...Those Illinois highpower guys have a great website including the 10 state schedule.

Attachments

• IMG_20230924_153547595.jpg
      IMG_20230924_153547595.jpg
      576.7 KB · Views: 21
    Last edited:

musketjon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2023
    California
    Range Report Barrel Now "Floated"

Target on the left is pre floating
    Target on the right is post floating

Same bullet (Hornady 75 gr HPBT match)
    Powder 23.5 IMR4895
    Rifle: Windham 20" govt model
    Barrel: Green Mountain, 5.56, 1/7 twist, chrome lined, A2 profile

Same range conditions (inside, 100 yd range, zero wind conditions)

The groups are almost identical. I'm a little bummed. I was hoping for a measurable difference. Maybe this is as good of performance that this barrel is capable of. Bullet/powder testing has not ended--YET.

On the positive side: it isn't any worse and now I can sling up tight and not worry about barrel deflection and poi movement.

Just thought you'd all be interested in my "progress".

Jon

Attachments

• 20231012_015127.jpg
      20231012_015127.jpg
      280.4 KB · Views: 11

musketjon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2023
    California

Powder 23.5 IMR4895

The groups are almost identical. I'm a little bummed. I was hoping for a measurable difference. Maybe this is as good of performance that this barrel is capable of. Bullet/powder testing has not ended--YET.

On the positive side: it isn't any worse and now I can sling up tight and not worry about barrel deflection and poi movement.

Jon
    This is the zero-wind testing facility I have available at the club I belong to. Available 24/7/365. The target runs on a trolley cable with pre sets at 50 feet, 25, 40, 50, and 100 yards. Sure beats walking down range to check.

Jon

Attachments

• 20220306_133752.jpg
      20220306_133752.jpg
      375.4 KB · Views: 3
    • 20211025_002247.jpg
      20211025_002247.jpg
      443.9 KB · Views: 3

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg

Powder 23.5 IMR4895

Jon
    Are you shooting off hand or off bags or something stationary?

musketjon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2023
    California
    These were shot with BLC-2. Not a bunch better but that bug hole at 7:00 on the right hand target has 4 rounds touching. It shows some promise, maybe. My next test will be with TAC and a retest with CFE223. I'm looking for alternatives for Varget, RL15, and H4895 which of late, have been unobtainium in my neck of the woods.

Jon

Attachments

• 20231012_015343.jpg
      20231012_015343.jpg
      273 KB · Views: 6

musketjon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2023
    California
    Try some factory Hornady 75g loads to see if it improves. Might be the bullets or the powder. Do you have a chronograph?
    No chrono. I've always just looked for the smallest group each rifle will shoot staying within published limits. I don't care how fast they go, I just want the smallest groups for xtc and mr matches. I did testing akin to this for my M1 rifles about 40 years ago to see what they liked. 4 different rifles, 4 different receipes.

Jon

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    No chrono. I've always just looked for the smallest group each rifle will shoot staying within published limits. I don't care how fast they go, I just want the smallest groups for xtc and mr matches. I did testing akin to this for my M1 rifles about 40 years ago to see what they liked. 4 different rifles, 4 different receipes.

Jon
    A chronograph can help with much more than bullet speed. You can identify your nodes with your ladder tests to develop a consistent load that prints

Top Bottom