• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Really debating getting into guns again. If I do so I will have room for a reloading bench for the first time. I haven't decided a budget since it requires selling off my other toys, but up to 2k would be within reason for everything.

At the moment I am debating between the Dan Wesson in 357 supermag or a Colt Python. I am not set on the caliber or gun, 357 is what I have experience with which is why I am looking at them again. Regardless of what I get at some point in the near future I will wind up with a nice 22 revolver as well.

I enjoy the weight of a 6 inch barrel with full underlug. This isn't something I would carry. I do not hunt either. The extra weight made shooting my 586 and 686 very enjoyable.

If I did the Dan Wesson i would want it in stainless since the blued guns can turn purple. It seems like they can be had quite a bit cheaper then a python.
    I would have more room to grow if I want something hotter. I do not care about the interchangeable barrel as I will leave a 6 inch with a full underlug on it. Parts availability is a concern for me in the long term. Also getting brass in 357 supermag may become problematic. From my reading I will avoid 357 maximum due to flame cutting even though some argue that it is more cosmetic then anything.

The python would be me choice for a normal 357. I loved my 586/686 but they always seemed like a working gun. The pythons I have handled seem to have felt better. I would most likely go for a blued finish and I do not care about owning the box although I would want the original wood stocks.
    In the future finding someone to work on it may be problematic (think 10- 50 years from now).

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I really like the Smith and Wessons and I don't have a lot of experience with the Dan Wessons or the Colts. Therefore, I can't offer a lot of advice on the two brands that you asked about.
    I like the 686 in .357 Magnum/ .38 Special with a similar 617 in .22 caliber that functions and feels the same but is more reasonable to practice with. I think they make a great combo.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Colt stopped making revolvers many years ago, and Pythons in good condition are now very expensive. Personally, it has been a long time since I saw anyone shooting a Python. I think they (the ones in good condition) have become more of a collectors item.

The Smith & Wesson 686 was, largely, a competitive response to the Colt Python, and Colt responded by getting out of revovers! Oh, well.

A Smith 686 with a modest action smoothing and a lighter rebound slide spring is really nice to shoot. I have four Smith 357s, all very smooth, and they are a joy to shoot.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    Pythons are great shooting guns and may be the best looking revolver ever made (along with the Diamondback, which I owned at one time). It seems you already know that acquiring one will be very expensive, but your budget should be ample.

Not sure if you intend to put it in your safe to look at and fondle, or make it a shooter, but my concern would be if it was to become a shooter, who will be able to handle any future repairs? Finding a qualified gunsmith to work on a Python might be tricky. If you want to just hang onto it as an investment, then by all means, go for the Python over a Dan Wesson. I do not have any personal experience with a Dan Wesson, but I think the Colt name, its history and the pure sexiness of the Python will command more money over time.

If you are just wanting a quality revolver, you should track down a S&W 686 Pro Series. It's a beautiful handling gun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I have a Python, and I carry/hunt with it. It's a gun, so i shoot it :)
    It's neat (due to my history with it), but I like Smiths better.

If you want a Python, get one, but I wouldn't pay premium for some "unfired" version. I've seen some with holster wear, or a ding here and there for reasonable prices (what the heck, use it and add a little more wear).

Supermag brass is no big deal to get. Might be more expensive, but a lot more people shoot .357 maximum nowadays (due to rifles chambered for it being deer legal). Midway even has .445 Supermag brass for just over $40 a hundred (less popular).

I don't know how the extra jump, using a mag in a maximum, affects accuracy. If you aren't going to run .357 max I'd steer clear of it.

If you do get a .357 max handgun, you can get a TC or rechamber an H&R for it in a rifle :)

For expense, use and overall quality I'd get a Smith 686 and not look back. I'd get a non lawyer lock model, and pre case hardened trigger/hammer too. Of course those fetch a premium.

But..............having played the game for years.................don't settle for less than what you want. It just costs more down the road.

If you really want a Python, get one.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Colt stopped making revolvers many years ago, and Pythons in good condition are now very expensive. Personally, it has been a long time since I saw anyone shooting a Python. I think they (the ones in good condition) have become more of a collectors item.

The Smith & Wesson 686 was, largely, a competitive response to the Colt Python, and Colt responded by getting out of revovers! Oh, well.

A Smith 686 with a modest action smoothing and a lighter rebound slide spring is really nice to shoot. I have four Smith 357s, all very smooth, and they are a joy to shoot.

d0c10.jpg

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    To clarify I have owned a 586 no dash and a 686-6. they were great guns, although the 586 had a much smoother trigger compared to the 686. I have considered getting a 586 performance center, but the fact of the matter is I would prefer something a bit more special.

If I get a python it would be to shoot. I have no interest in a safe queen and I don't care about the box. I would prefer the original grips, but honestly I could get a tasteful set of aftermarket for a 1/3rd the price. Chances are I would look for a used one with signs of wear. If the finish were bad enough (and the price reasonable) I would send it off to colt to get redone. the problem is more that it is a more delicate piece that may be difficult to get repaired in the future. Also getting a 22 diamondback as cheap practice would be just as expensive.

The Dan Wesson has its own problems. Parts may become problematic down the road. Also, I can find 414 supermag and 445 brass, but have yet to see 357 or 375 supermag brass. I have run across 357 maximum, but I would rather avoid it. Its been awhile since I did my research so I cannot remember what rifle calibers I can use for brass (more work, but if it is available who cares). The upside to the Dan Wesson is it is cheaper, more robust, and gives me more room to grow as a shooter. the other upside is that if I wanted a dw 22 it would be half the cost of a diamondback. If I played my cards right I might be able to swing a 3rd gun possibly a lever action or a 357 desert eagle as a range toy.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Erosion seemed to be a problem with the .357 max revolvers, but the flame cut on the topstrap was only so much (more cosmetic than anything else- from what i remember reading, hell I get a cut pretty fast on my 629's running WW 296 and 180's). The other wear area was the forcing cone.

At least with a DW, should the forcing cone get nuked over time, it's an easy swap to a new bbl :)

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    I thought the .357 Supermag and .357 Remington Maximum were the same (wildcat standardized, got factory name).

357 Maximum came out because remington and ruger did not want to create longer frames to accomadate the supermag. It also got them out of paying royalties for the supermag. The maximum has a slightly shorter case and was intended to drive a light bullet as fast a possible. The supermag was designed to drive a heavier bullet.

If you use 125gr bullet like they intended with the max the top strap gets flame cut. This is why ruger discontinued selling their revolvers. Since I have no need to use 125gr, I might as well skip the max and not damage teh revolver.

Right now I have been offered a 6 inch King Cobra for 600 no box, but its blued. Mulling it over, but I will probably pass.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    According to Wiki, the Max is only .005" shorter. I'd call them the same then.

And, I think the Maximum revolver by Ruger was on a longer frame. The grip frame might be the same as a regular SBH though.

I don't see how .005" changes what the designed for bullet weight was ;)

Topstrap cutting freaked out John Q Idiot Public, but that wasn't the real problem. IIRC they had issues with jacket seperation due to bullet selection, forcing cone and maybe other issues.

When you run a lot of ball powder and use a light bullet you'll get flame cut, but part of that might be due to impingement.

Have the same problem with the DW's. Except there you can change a barrel out when the forcing cone goes to crap.

Didn't the maximum DW's later come with a spare barrel, or certificate for a reduced price one? Been a while but I remember something along those lines.

Silhouetters used to load things hot, back in the day due to hard set of targets. That meant folks pushed things to the max and problems. They made rule changes about target set way back so there was no need to join the dynamite club.

200 meter rams fall to 150's from a .357 pretty well. And they aint loaded to sound like the Hounds of Hell are coming (pops shoots big bore).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My hunting bud redid an H&R rifle to .357 Max and it was a p*ssycat.

If getting any .357 Max single shot HG or rifle I'd visit Bellm's website and read up on it. Good stuff, nice guy too.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I would have to put my vote in for a S&W 686. There are a lot of ammo options that can be worked up and a lot of variations of the 686. My second vote would be a S&W 629 Classic DX.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Did some reading. The cartridge is the cartridge, Supermag or Maximum, but one writer says it was the ammo manufacturer who went with a lighter bullet and kinda dropped the ball, which helped make flame cutting happen sooner. Think then some articles by registered mechanical engineers (all gun writers are doncha know) got the gun press and public all stoopid and Ruger, not known to be brave back then, yanked the plug.

Might have to get one next yr, shoot the crap out of it and when the bbl goes to heck have a new custom one on it. Or maybe ream the cylinder to 445 and rebarrel...........thanks for giving me something ridiculous to obsess over in the coming new year!

(in addition to a Ruger #1 in .35 Rem)

(or a #3 .44 reamed to .445)

:)

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    According to Wiki, the Max is only .005" shorter. I'd call them the same then.
    Supermag will not chamber into a gun specifically designed for maximum they have a different oal which makes them very much a different cartridge. Loading data for maximum is lighter bullets pushed to higher velocities. Could you put a heavier bullet in? Sure, if you want to work up your own loads, but what would the point be unless you had a gun chambered for max and not supermag.

Dan Wesson 357 Supermags are marked Maximum on one side and Supermag on the other.

Top Bottom