• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rabbitdave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Zionsville, IN
    I am putting this together for family and friends that ask me about buying a handgun for CC. I try to keep it short and sensible. I know I can't touch on everything, but I want to make sure I set them off in the right direction. Let me know what is missing/wrong and I will add it.

Here it goes: Buying a gun for Concealed Carry.

New vs Used: If you can find a used gun for what you are looking for, it would be the way to go since you will save money and 95% of the guns will outlast your carry needs. You can pick up some guns with “reliability issues” that just may need a good cleaning, new springs, or some polishing. A gunsmith can help with this or if you are mechanically inclined you can to most of the work yourself. Youtube has videos on most major models and how to do what you need to do.

If you are buying new, most of the major manufactures are putting out quality products and will give you the support to solve any issue. Just buy from a local gun store that you want to support. The added support after the sale is sometimes worth the extra money you will spend.

Caliber: Suggest that you keep something that you will carry. .380 and 9mm will give you more rounds and are easier to do follow-up shots. 9mm would be the way to go in all around capacity, costs, and use as self defense. If you hate the size guns in 9mm go to a .380. It will cost a little more to shot and take more practice to be good with the smaller gun, but it works.

Safeties: For concealed carry, keep it simple. Look at the guns with as few safeties that you can find and are comfortable with. In high stress self defense situation, the less you have between you pointing and shooting the better.

Practice/Training: You need to shoot at least 500 rounds through the gun before you carry it. Practice how you carry. Drawing and holstering the gun. If you have more than 1 failure to feed, fire or eject, shoot another 100 rounds. If you have any issues during those 100 take it to a gunsmith to look at. I suggest that you spread this shooting out over several days or weeks to develop the habit of shooting.

It is highly suggested that you attend a basic handgun training course or two. You will get great experience learning how to shoot, and will quickly reach that 500 round count if you are doing a "hands on" class. Also, doing a shooting sport like IPDA will allow you to practice in a stressful situation with your concealed carry equipment.

In most self defense shootings, you will be shooting in close ranges of less than 7 yards. Measure the longest distance in your house and that should be furthest that you will be shooting and practicing. Remember 20 ft can be covered by a human in less than 2 seconds. How fast can you draw and shoot?

Legal Implications: Check you state laws and keep up on what you can and can not do. Then know even in a justified shooting, you may have legal expenses in excess of $100,000 for civil suites. Look into lethal force insurance. The money you spend on insurance may save you financially. Also any good cancelled carry training like MAG 20 with Massad Ayoob group is also highly suggested to cover the maze of legal issues.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    A saying that I drilled into my kids when they were young... "you never shoot a gun to take a life, you only shoot a gun to save a life."

It's a handy way to remind us that we shoot to "stop", never to purposefully kill a person... and only when it is absolutely necessary and never before.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Concealed, not cancelled, near the end

I would wonder if telling them about the "mass cancels out recoil" balancing act, too: the bigger/heavier the gun, the less felt recoil you'll have and vice versa. However, you're not likely to regularly carry a big brick of a gun for that reality. Most of us balance weight/bulk with recoil and round capacity. (etc., etc.)

Just my :twocents

Blessings,
    Bill

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Since your info doesn't pertain to method of carry, you could take out the word Concealed.

There are very few states which require that guns be hidden from view.

Top Bottom